DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread - Page 101 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #1001
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptcv1 View Post
This explains why some have issues or start having worse issues post flash... This sounds like mission impossible... - guess one would need to find a dealer in the middle of nowhere that might perhaps be able to perfom above..
Then why in the h3ll they wrote on the worksheet that they've done the procedures after applying the TSB ?!?
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #1002
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

Points 479, Level 9
Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9 Points: 479, Level: 9
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
You know I accepted that at face value from you guys a while back but I found this on Ford's media site. Doesn't seem to jive.

From: http://media.ford.com/article_displa...rticle_id=2574

Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC)

What it is: The Adaptive Transmission Control system recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly. Two types of ATC are adaptive shift-scheduling and adaptive shift-quality control. Adaptive shift scheduling uses information to assess driving style and decides when to upshift or downshift. It also can identify uphill or downhill gradients and recognize hard cornering. This helps inhibit shifts that might be annoying to the driver or affect vehicle stability. Adaptive shift-quality control uses information about the vehicle or environment, such as changes in the transmission due to wear, to improve the quality of shifts. This system can also adjust shift smoothness to suit driving style (e.g., crisper shifts for aggressive driving or smoother shifts for normal driving). How it works: Adaptive Shift Scheduling uses a microprocessor to read signals from various sensors. It uses a complex algorithm and ongoing memory to decide when to shift. For example, high lateral acceleration during cornering may prevent shifting even if the accelerator is suddenly depressed or released. This helps avoid potential loss of tire grip due to load reversal. Shift points can be based on calibration curves in memory. Adaptive shift-quality control adjusts parameters that affect the speed and smoothness of the shift by interpreting data, including driveline feedback from various sensors, as well as post shift parameters. Customer benefit: Improves shift consistency and transmission durability and allows for shifting that is better suited to specific driver styles or operating conditions. Ford status: Available on many North American vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Pretty much the same as the Focus's manual (below). Doesn't seem to shed any light on the subject.

When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the
automatic transmission must relearn its shift strategy. As a result, the
transmission may have firm and/or soft shifts. This operation is
considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the
transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process will fully update
transmission operation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Steps 1-3 take just a few minutes and are performed with the Ford diagnostic tool (IDS).

Step 4 (drive cycle) is as follows:

1. Press the brake pedal.
2. Shift to Drive.
3. Wait 15 seconds.
4. Shift to Reverse.
5. Wait 2 seconds.
6. Repeat (1-5) ten (10) times.
7. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle to 24.1 kmh (15 mph).
8. Brake gently to a complete stop (allow at least 6 seconds).
9. Repeat steps (7-8) five (5) times in dealership parking lot or similar setting.
10. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle performing 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts maintaining 1700-2000 rpm.
11. Accelerate to a speed between 80.5 kmh (50 mph) and 104.6 kmh (65 mph), achieve 6th gear, keep throttle steady with engine below 3000 rpm for a minimum of two (2) minutes.
12. Repeat step 11 two (2) times.
13. Test drive the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrim View Post
Man, no wonder techs don't want to do this. I don't know how you do that around here without having a test track of some kind. Maybe that's doable on a Saturday around here but that's it.
Wow, some great info from the service department ... Thanks for the research and posts Kabigon and Kam327!

This explains alot about the adaptive shift and the importance of the Drive Cycle. This drive cycle was given to me from my dealer after doing the update because they were running late and was getting to the end of the day. I eagerly voluntered to perform this since I knew it was a very important last step to the update which can cause DCT driveability problems if not performed correctly; and especially if not performed at all.

I thought doing the drive cycle was going to be easy until they handed me the step by step directions then it seemed more involved. Either way though it was something I wanted to do correctly so I made sure I studied it and proceded with the steps:

The first steps are done in the parking lot then I made it to a long street (1/2 mile or so with no stop signs) right by the dealership to perform steps 7 thru 9 (0-15 mph) ... then drove to a nearby freeway (about 3 mi away) while performing step 10 at the same time (accelerate from a stop with light throttle performing 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts maintaining 1700-2000 rpm). Then I made it to the freeway to perform the final step (11. Accelerate to a speed between 80.5 kmh (50 mph) and 104.6 kmh (65 mph), achieve 6th gear, keep throttle steady with engine below 3000 rpm for a minimum of two (2) minutes.)

It all went well and was not difficult to do. Then I test drove for about 15min doing light to normal accelerations then I put her to the test driving like a maniac and was very impressed with the new shift strategy. It was a great improvement for my DCT and has been working awesome ever since.

I believe anybody having shifting issues with thier DCT should do the reset procedure and then perform this Drive Cycle to help fix their issues. Also I would think anyone getting a PCM re-flash (TSB update) would want to perform this themselves (regardless if the dealer said they did it) immiediatly after the update, just to be sure. Performing this procedure more than once (first by the dealer then by you) shouldn't have any poor effect on the DCT and could only help it IMO.

Last edited by noahsfocus; 04-12-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #1003
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93741
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
So when your drive a brand new car off the lot is the Adaptive Transmission Control is a clean slate or has the shift strategy programmed into the by using the steps above. If it comes with a clean slate i would think that the steps above would be needed.
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #1004
TBR17
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97229
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5door SEL Premium Pkg

FF Reputation: 1 TBR17 Good Standing Member
Mine was fine when we took delivery. It had only 3 miles which tells me nothing other than a pre-delivery inspection (PDI) was done.

It also has a build date of 3/19/12 and I took delivery 3/28. Seems to be great in every way with nearly 1000 miles already. The car drives and shifts perfectly. It's a shame the car belongs to my wife though. I want one now!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #1005
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,811, Level 49
Points: 5,811, Level: 49 Points: 5,811, Level: 49 Points: 5,811, Level: 49
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabs_Weather View Post
So when your drive a brand new car off the lot is the Adaptive Transmission Control is a clean slate or has the shift strategy programmed into the by using the steps above. If it comes with a clean slate i would think that the steps above would be needed.
What a good-looking question. But really, you're right, if they have to go through that procedure after RE-installing new software at the dealer you would think they'd have to after initially installing the new software at the factory as well. Don't make no sense.....
Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #1006
PrideSax711
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97050
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 PrideSax711 Good Standing Member
I want to do this but I can't find anything about the diagnostic tool in the manual. Will that run automatically if I reset the system and then I just start with step 4? Also, I wonder if the car does this automatically as you drive and hit each requirement of the test, and running through it step by step only makes it learn faster.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #1007
sdrono
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 92500
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sdrono Good Standing Member
Just got ours back from the dealer this morning after having service work and the TSB for the transmission applied. Did a little start and stop and highway driving and I have noticed a difference in the way it shifts. Will see how things go as we drive it more and report back. But so far impressive. By the way I got a Chevy HHR rental to drive while they had my car (2 days) and geezzz what a tin can.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #1008
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,143, Level 34
Points: 3,143, Level: 34 Points: 3,143, Level: 34 Points: 3,143, Level: 34
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jernel View Post
I just bought a used 2012 Focus SFE. Built in April-2011. It had the shuddering issues when coasting in drive from a dead stop. Local dealer did the computer upgrade (TSB dated 4/1/12). The problem is now fixed. It drives wonderful now....
Hey jernel,

I appreciate your loyalty to the Ford family as well as the accolades for the Focus. Posting your story on Social.Ford.com would be a great opportunity to share with other family members, execs and engineers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerveson View Post
I took my car into the dealer this weekend to have them take a look at the transimission. Ironically while driving the car earlier that morning, the 1st gear shuddering was almost unnoticable... had a great experience at the dealer and they were more than willing to listen and help out with any issues I had. I would higly recommend Walnut Creek Ford if you are in the SF Bay Area.
Hello Swerveson,

That's a great dealership experience!

How's about posting it on Social.Ford.com?! I'm sure your dealer would appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpartmgr View Post
I had the Transmission update a couple weeks back. I never felt the car was right, but after the update it was better. I say better because it still did odd things. ...
Well I took my car in Saturday to get the steering gear fixed and I knew they were providing me a loaner car....
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpartmgr View Post
I only bought my car 6 weeks ago...
Hey xpartmgr,

Thanks for providing the info via PM. The Customer Service Manager will assist in making this process as painless as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideSax711 View Post
My car was built 11/11 and I just bought it a couple weeks ago. How do I know if it has the most recent TSB updates or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideSax711 View Post
It runs fine so far but it would be nice to know if they updated it before selling it.
Hello PrideSax711,

Is your Focus experiencing any of the symptoms stated on the thread? If so, please make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR17 View Post
... Seems to be great in every way with nearly 1000 miles already. The car drives and shifts perfectly. It's a shame the car belongs to my wife though. I want one now!
Hey TBR17,

You're a great husband; what's your is hers, what's her is hers! lol

I'm delighted to know your satisfaction with the Focus has exceeded expectations. Our executives and engineers would be happy to read your accolade on Social.Ford.com. Check it out and post away when you have a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrono View Post
Just got ours back from the dealer this morning after having service work and the TSB for the transmission applied. Did a little start and stop and highway driving and I have noticed a difference in the way it shifts...
'Sup sdrono

Your dealer visit seems to have taken care of the concern. In the event you ever need assistance from the Customer Service Manager in your area, please PM your VIN, phone number, mileage, and dealer information to begin the escalation process.

Thanks all!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #1009
Red 2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85244
What I Drive: 2012 candy red SEL; 2005 Freestyle

FF Reputation: 1 Red 2012 Good Standing Member
After having shift problems since delivery nearly a year ago ... and a new clutch a couple of weeks ago ... which drove fine off the dealer's lot ... i am now starting to see some of the same symptoms i had before they "researched" the problem and replaced the clutch ...

Tell me -- has anyone had the entire transmisson replaced? or just this new clutch band aid?

And if the latest up grade worked for you ... what was the build date???

I am talking an April 1, 2011 ... yes, I know I should have turned the car down just because of that build date.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #1010
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 2012 View Post
After having shift problems since delivery nearly a year ago ... and a new clutch a couple of weeks ago ... which drove fine off the dealer's lot ... i am now starting to see some of the same symptoms i had before they "researched" the problem and replaced the clutch ...

Tell me -- has anyone had the entire transmisson replaced? or just this new clutch band aid?

And if the latest up grade worked for you ... what was the build date???

I am talking an April 1, 2011 ... yes, I know I should have turned the car down just because of that build date.
It wasnt your clutch, the dealers just dont no what do do to fix these transmissions. They are going to have to redesign the hardware and electronics. look for the future tranys parts to supercede our old ones.My guess is next year take your car back for the warranty repair and get it right

Bookmarks & Social Networks