Got My SCT Chip.....! ( When, were,why and how I should switch the settings) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-09-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
Dbelle18
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8587
What I Drive: 2005 Toyota Corolla LE

FF Reputation: 1 Dbelle18 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Talking Got My SCT Chip.....! ( When, were,why and how I should switch the settings)

Hey I just got my SCT chip yesterday and I'm looking over the papers they sent me and I just had a few questions. Oh and im not going to install it yet, im still waiting for a few more products I ordered to arive before I start the chip install. Ok everyone that has the chip, you know they send you like 2 papers. The First page says Superchips Custom Tuning Switch Chip Installation at the top of the page and then goes on to explain the Removal of Stock computer/ Stock Computer Connector Preparation ect.. Then on the Second page it says The Switch Chip Programs and then states that: The switch chips can be switched between the various settings on the fly with the engine running. To switch programs, move the rotary switch between settings "0" and "3", rotary switch settings "4" is the stock computers program. Settings 5-7 are 'No Run' settings. Note: if the processor has been previously flashed with a custom program that will be the stock computers program.

Then it has a chart like this:

Switch Position Program Explantion
Postion #0 Performance File
Position #1 Low Octane File
Postion #2
________________________________/______________
Postion#3
________________________________/______________
Postion #4 CAUTION!!!! STOCK EEC program
Position #5 Car will not start
Postion #6 Car will not start
Position #7 Car will not start

Ok so now here are my questions: 1.Do I have to switch the setting to Position #1 when I go to the gas station to get gas? 2. If I have to switch to Postion #1 every time i get (87) low octane gas, how long do I have to keep the switch on position#1 or do I switch it to the Stock EEC program? 3. During what situations should I switch back to the Stock EEC program? 4. When switching to Position #0 the Performance File, can I use this file like my everyday driver mode? 5. If I leave the switch in Position #0 will that effect my engine? 6. Will my car run if I dont have the switch in Position #1 for octane gas? 7. If anybody has other information or can answer any other questions I did not ask about when using the chip, then please let me know.

Sorry for such a long post but I need help understanding how this chip works. I read many post on the chip and I have also been to Focussport website and have talked to Randy before I purchased my chip. If anybody have info on this can you please help me out And when I do finally install the chip I will take pics and tell you'll about everything. Thanks for the help.....

Focus SE Zetec (auto)

Mac rear motor mount, MBRP Exhaust system, MSD 8.5mm Ignition Wires, Motorcraft plats, Clear Coner lenses w/ white bulbs, Bosch Micro Edge Excel wiper blades, All season Falken Ziex ZE512 195/60R15 tires

"Kill List"
(Won) 92-93 Integra RS w/ exhaust (5-speed)
(Won) 93-96 Buick Regal (auto)
(Won) 04 Honda civic ( vtec?/auto or man.?)
(Tied) 05 Focus auto (2)
(Lost) 05 Cobalt auto

Last edited by Dbelle18; 10-09-2004 at 08:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2004, 09:21 PM   #2
mustang2focus82
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8223
What I Drive: 2006 Grnd Touring Z

FF Reputation: 1 mustang2focus82 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi i dont have the chip myself but ive done some research on it. I almost got one for my mustang. It sounds like you got the switchable superchip (duh) leaving it on 0 (performance) wont affect your car in anyway. The only thing that will do is consume more fuel. #1 (low octane) that is for when you dont want to fill your car with premium fuel. NOTE: aftermarket chips are usually designed to run w/ premium grade fuel. The reason this program was burned onto your chip was so that you can receive power gains even though your not running on premium fuel.
You should switch to stock configuration whenever your daily driving in town where you dont need tha extra juice. It will save your fuel, and i believe it would reduce emmisions also. (good for smog checks)
Old 10-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #3
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
If you're going to use program #1, it can run on 87, 89 or 91+. It's just that 91+ would cost more.

You can switch between your program #1 and #4 if you're running 87, 89 or 91+ octane.
It doesn't matter.

The key thing is this:
If you are going to run program #0, make sure to run at least 2 tanks of 91+ octane before using it. Meaning, use program #1 or #4 while running through the first 2 tanks of 91+.

Programs #1 and #4 can run on 87, 89 or 91+ octane.
It's program #0 THAT MUST HAVE 91+ octane or you'll get detonation/ping.

Don't ever run Program #0 with any octane/gas lower than 91+.
91+ octane is minimum for program #0.

Also, SCT says that you can switch between programs on the fly but I suggest doing it while the car is off.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:54 PM   #4
Dbelle18
Focus Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Thanks mustang2focus82 and microtonal That makes a lot of sense and now I understand what you are talking about. So I made sure that I printed the responses that you both gave me so that I will remember. Thank you! thank you! thank you!

Focus SE Zetec (auto)

Mac rear motor mount, MBRP Exhaust system, MSD 8.5mm Ignition Wires, Motorcraft plats, Clear Coner lenses w/ white bulbs, Bosch Micro Edge Excel wiper blades, All season Falken Ziex ZE512 195/60R15 tires

"Kill List"
(Tied) 05 Focus auto (2)
(Lost) 05 Cobalt auto
Old 10-10-2004, 12:40 AM   #5
Vassili95
Banned

Fan#: 371
FF Reputation: 1 Vassili95 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Hey Dbelle..you should check out the Regional Forums under Mid-Atlantic. Focaltech is soon going to have another dyno day at McNews automotive which is in PA.

I am sure Randy could do some good stuff with the chip in person. Plus...I will be also going so we could drive up together. Let me know!

Paix...
Old 10-10-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
Dbelle18
Focus Enthusiast

What day is Mcnews doing dyno day? That would be great if I can go! I would have to check my work schedule and my school schedule. But we shell see

Focus SE Zetec (auto)

"Kill List"
(Tied) 05 Focus auto (2)
(Lost) 05 Cobalt auto
Old 10-10-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
Vassili95
Banned

Fan#: 371
FF Reputation: 1 Vassili95 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
It's on the 30th of this month.

Paix...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.