"How To" - Front Sway Bar Install - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 PM   #81
saladfingers
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 54869
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 saladfingers Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
...well i got as far dropping the subframe down. Then I ran into the brackets with the 13mm bolts over the sway bar bushings, and could not for the life of me get them loose. With such a confined area I was only able to loosen one about 1/8" and did not have any leverage what so ever. I noticed there are holes underneath but they don't match up with the nuts/bolts, they are at an angle.

So at this point I am going to reinstall the old hardware along with my moog endlinks and do a little more research on how to get the brackets off. Then hopefully i'll go ahead and install the bar/bushings.

I had air tools, breaker bar, all the tools i thought i would need. I really don't want to have to take this to a shop to pay for it. Any one have any recomendations on how to loosen those things up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #82
Shady R
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
I did make a list of tools needed,lol, I guess I should have added a torch to the list to loosen the bolts a little easier, the thread lock becomes like weld after 5 years of sitting.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #83
Shady R
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3138
What I Drive: Euro 2003 PitchBlack SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 8 Shady R Good Standing Member
I cant believe, every one enjoyed this write up this much, Ive been a way for a bit but im back now. if theres more questions plaese ask im available to answer them again.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #84
ChrisRobin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46204
What I Drive: 04 silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 4 ChrisRobin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Just an update to this thread:

I just swapped out my front and rear sway bars on my SVT. From start to finish, 5 hours. This how-to was bang-on.

Some thoughts:
-I was expecting to fight with the 18mm and 15mm bolts. Not a problem for my breaker bar! Those came out nice and easily.
-The 13mm bolts for the sway bar brackets were f-ing insane. No room to work with. The passenger side is easier and you can get a 1/2 drive ratchet in there. But you're loosening maybe 1/3 turn at a time. They were on tight though... tighter than the bolts holding up the subframe. I'm going to be sore tomorrow.
-The driver side 13mm had even less room and so I found myself laying there turning the bolts 1/4 turn at a time (well that's what it felt like).
-Getting the sway bar out and new one in was a pain but nothing compared to those 13mm bolts. Damn.
-Get a ratchetting 13mm wrench!! I wish I had one today.

And of course, an install like this can't go without problems: I think one of my 18mm bolts have threads that are all mashed up when reinstalling. The bolt is tight though and not coming out. Mind you everything was properly lined up and the other bolts went in straight and smoothe. I just hope I never have to drop the subframe again.

I was glad to take on my rear sway bar after that. That was a breeze.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:13 AM   #85
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Yes the FSB is a royal pain. I'm glad I did mine to tho.

I thought about this after I did the install, I wonder if you had a long enough extension if you could use the ratchet from above the motor.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 AM   #86
ChrisRobin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46204
What I Drive: 04 silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 4 ChrisRobin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The passenger side maybe but I don't think so for the driver's side. Too much crap in the way.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #87
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I may try to attack those swaybar bolts from above today. I was planning to throw my shiny new sway bar in, as I have the front end ripped apart already (control arms/hubs out). I thought it would be pretty simple, but the swaybar bracket bolts are a royal pain, as mentioned above.

I was able to get one of the bolts out of the swaybar bracket on the passenger side (managed to convince an impact gun to fit up in there), but the rest are ridiculous.

I guess I'll drop the subframe and hope for more working room....

Zetec....is that like Vtec or something???

Zetec Crew #103/ATX Faction #27 (retired)
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #88
Mumford
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99437
What I Drive: 2009, Sangria Red, SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 Mumford Good Standing Member
i couldnt help but notice how this looks similer to the 2nd gen fo-fo and i know that some parts are more or less the same would that be true in saying this write up would be helpfull for a 2nd owner?? cuse ive been looking for a tear down to see what i can do from home to replace the bushings
Old 08-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #89
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Wish I could help...I don't know much at all about the newer Foci. I'd be willing to bet that the front sway bar is still a pain, and may require dropping the subframe.

Maybe I'm way off base though...I haven't so much as looked underneath a Focus that is newer than mine...

Zetec....is that like Vtec or something???

Zetec Crew #103/ATX Faction #27 (retired)
Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #90
Mumford
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99437
What I Drive: 2009, Sangria Red, SE Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 Mumford Good Standing Member
well from looking at a diagram on autozones site it pretty much says to do the same thing an drop the sub frame and me being a not so ace mechanic lol was kinda worried bout droping the sub frame with out a lift or at all for that matter but from looking at your pics it pretty much looks the same think i might take a look here in a couple weeks and see whats goin on might do a right up or just link to this one lol if its the same lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks