SYNC System Thread - Page 40 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #391
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripto View Post
I was referring to using Google Maps navigation on my phone, not through SYNC services.
It works if you are playing music over bluetooth, not sure about using USB/bluetooth, but I doubt it.

Edit: sorry I have MFT, forgot I was in the SYNC thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #392
Clump
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119097
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 Clump Good Standing Member
FWIW I searched and couldn't find this situation.

I have a couple week old '13 SE with Sync MyFord, but not MFT. I have about 8,000 tracks in MP3 format loaded on a 64 GB flash drive.

Music is organised like this:

Artist
Album1
Track1
Track2

It plays fine and I can use voice commands to play artists and albums.

When I say "Play track Rocky Raccoon"

Sync replies "Track commands are not available for this device"

Is this a limitation based on the quantity of tracks? Is there some way to organize folders/files so it works? Scrolling through artists and albums on the display is a huge PITA!

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #393
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
Scrolling really is a torturous process, there has to be a quicker way. Not sure of a solution to your problem, but I know for me I had to have artist, song, and album all filled out in the song file's detail tab, aka tag.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #394
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clump View Post
Sync replies "Track commands are not available for this device"

Is this a limitation based on the quantity of tracks? Is there some way to organize folders/files so it works? Scrolling through artists and albums on the display is a huge PITA!

Thanks!
Yes and no... There is a limit, but I have 10,000 fully-tagged songs on my 64GB thumb drive and can access all of them via voice command by artist, album and track. SYNC organizes the library based on tags, not by folder arrangement.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #395
Clump
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
Yes and no... There is a limit, but I have 10,000 fully-tagged songs on my 64GB thumb drive and can access all of them via voice command by artist, album and track. SYNC organizes the library based on tags, not by folder arrangement.
Thanks! I think my tags are in pretty good shape, but I'll have to see if there are some issues.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #396
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks! I think my tags are in pretty good shape, but I'll have to see if there are some issues.
After doing a little research... You might be over the limit. From what I understand, the limit is that SYNC can only store 15,000 unique "grammar articles". A grammar article would be artist, album or track.

So, say you have a 10-track album. That album would represent 12 articles--the 10 track names, the 1 album name and the 1 artist name. Likewise a 6-track album would represent 8 grammar articles, and so on...

I have found that my mix of music puts me over the limit somewhere around (but just under) 10,000 tracks. If your music was from a wider variety of album names or artists, I suppose you could potentially be up against the limit at 8,000 tracks. If you cross the limit, none of the music is available via voice command.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #397
Clump
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I had my entire collection on the flash drive. I deleted a bunch of stuff that I would rarely or never listen to and got it down to just under 6,500 tracks. Still no voice for individual tracks.

I read on another forum that it's really fussy about the fields in the ID3 tags and you should just have Album, Artist, Genre, Title, and Track. I downloaded MP3tag and deleted all of the other metadata. I was surprised at all of the other fields I had populated. I did this operation directly on the flash drive and it took a while. Still no voice for individual tracks.

I low level formatted the flash drive, which took hours and copied the tracks to it with no directory structure. Still no voice for individual tracks and at least 1 album started playing in a wacky order.

When it re-indexed each of these times the Sync lady would say "Due to the number of tracks on this device voice commands are not available for individual tracks". Makes me think that there's a number where it just can't build the individual track index any more.

So....
Reformatted (quick) and am copying the library back to the drive the way it started out.

I have some smaller flash drives that I'll try with fewer tracks. Would love to know what the magic number is.

Edit -
Put some stuff on a 2GB flash drive. Made sure to mix some tracks I bought as MP3 and some ripped and it worked great. Indexed very quickly and able to get tracks via voice.

Last edited by Clump; 10-10-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Added new data
Old 10-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #398
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
After doing a little research... You might be over the limit. From what I understand, the limit is that SYNC can only store 15,000 unique "grammar articles". A grammar article would be artist, album or track.

So, say you have a 10-track album. That album would represent 12 articles--the 10 track names, the 1 album name and the 1 artist name. Likewise a 6-track album would represent 8 grammar articles, and so on...
I did some digging around to check into this back when I got my car and I found the same info about the 15,000 grammar object limit but interpreted what I read differently than your interpretation. I took it to mean that each grammar object only counted against the limit once, regardless of how many times it appears and what it is tagged to. For example if you have 8,000 songs and 1,000 song titles have the word "and" in them and 1,500 have the word "the" in them both "and" and "the" would each only count as one grammar object no matter where and how many times they appear or if you had 12 albums by David Bowie "David" and "Bowie" would equal two grammar object regardless of how many albums and/or tracks the name is associated with.

That was the way I understood it but who knows? I wish Ford provided a lot more depth and clarity about the system/limitations, etc. on their SMR site.

Quote:
I read on another forum that it's really fussy about the fields in the ID3 tags and you should just have Album, Artist, Genre, Title, and Track. I downloaded MP3tag and deleted all of the other metadata. I was surprised at all of the other fields I had populated. I did this operation directly on the flash drive and it took a while. Still no voice for individual tracks.

Edit -
Put some stuff on a 2GB flash drive. Made sure to mix some tracks I bought as MP3 and some ripped and it worked great. Indexed very quickly and able to get tracks via voice.
Yeah it really is fussy. When I got my car I could not get my music to index to completion for the first couple of weeks even though the same library, tags and all, worked fine with everything else I had. I finally downloaded MusicBrainz Picard and went through everything manually and cleaned them up by hand. After that I got everything working fine. While I was in there I also removed stuff I didn't care about, such as genre, so it would not count against the grammar object limit.

Good that the smaller library you tested worked but now you have to figure out why your old library wouldn't work before. The only two things I can think of would be that you either were over the grammar object limit and the new library was well below that or you had one or two songs with questionable tags before and the new library didn't include that. I suppose maybe if you have the patience you could add tracks to your original drive in chunks, like 100 at a time or so, and repeat until you hit the wall. Then at least you would know that either that chunk of 100 songs put you over the limit or one of the tracks in that chunk has a bad tag.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #399
Cubedtothex
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119677
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Cubedtothex Good Standing Member
I have a 2012 SEL with SYNC but not MFT and had a wierd issue popup.

Last Thursday, my bluetooth audio decided to no longer work from my phone. I keep getting "bluetooth device not detected" although I see the bluetooth symbol on the screen and on my phone. However, when saying other commands such as Services or making a call, it works flawlessly. I used to have an Android phone and didn't have any trouble. I got an iPhone 5 3 months ago and didn't have any issues until a week ago. I've reset the car and my phone several times, deleted my phone from Sync, and re-added it, all to no avail. I'm just afraid that it's going to be a Ford vs. Apple issue with them pointing the fingers at each other and putting me in the middle. Software and features don't just disappear. Is there anything else I should do or should I just have the dealership take a look? I'm really losing patience over other little things that keep happening.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #400
Clump
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Rebuilt the collection onto the 64GB drive and as expected, too many files for track voice commands.

I have a 32GB drive and loaded about 28GB of music onto it, more or less what I would usually listen to and it works great. I didn't mess with the tag data at all, which makes me think it's a straight file count limitation.

64GB drive - 6,453 files
32GB drive - 2,965 files
The Sync lady is happy now!

1 other thing that seems odd -
There's no way to select different sources from the steering wheel controls. The manual shows a different setup with a media button. Mine has OK in the middle with arrows around it. Am I missing something, or did they just leave it out?

Last edited by Clump; 10-11-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added file counts

Bookmarks & Social Networks