SYNC System Thread - Page 30 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #291
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesy628 View Post
Thanks. I might try to find a USB card and download and try myself.

Right now with my version - I can locate my audio from my phone via bluetooth but the screen doesn't say what is playing nor can I pick an artist or song via Sync. It also bothers me that let's say the screen that is showing is the radio screen but I use Sync to change the climate - I would have hoped/liked that the climate screen shows. I'm still new to this car so I wonder if those two issues were taken care of in more recent updates.
The Bluetooth showing the artist/song is not MFT but actually your phones implementation of Bluetooth. For example, my iPhones always showed the artist/song, but my new Nexus 4 does not.

It would also be slightly distracting I think to have the climate screen pop up because you wanted to change something via voice commands, especially then if you wanted the music screen back later. Voice commands are there to keep your eyes on the road, what purpose would it serve to have voice commands if they changed the screen you looked at? Hope you catch what I mean here.

Looks like both of your issues unfortunately aren't issues so much as your phone and personal preference.
Sonic Crew #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #292
scada
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107778
What I Drive: 2013, Silver, Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 scada Good Standing Member
Center Display for Podcasts

When playing podcasts the center display will show the amount of time the podcast has been playing. Better information would be the time remaining in the podcast. Is it possible to change the display so that it counts up rather than down. Actually since there is so much room having the running time/total time or remaining time would be best.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #293
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scada View Post
When playing podcasts the center display will show the amount of time the podcast has been playing. Better information would be the time remaining in the podcast. Is it possible to change the display so that it counts up rather than down. Actually since there is so much room having the running time/total time or remaining time would be best.
There isn't. There used to be a progress bar and it would tell you how much time has played out of how much time total. Then 3.0.2 happened.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 12-31-2012, 03:30 AM   #294
scada
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
There isn't. There used to be a progress bar and it would tell you how much time has played out of how much time total. Then 3.0.2 happened.
Thank you for the reply. Makes you wonder who makes the decisions, especially when they make it less user friendly. The surprising thing is that there is a lot of literature out there on making user interfaces that go back to the early days of the development of the graphical user interface.

One issue I have is that the menus are so un-intuitive. Like getting to my ipod hooked up to the USB port, you start by choosing Sync Media I think, I discovered that that gets you to the USB port by trial and error. I looked in the owners manual and I don't remember it being really clear how it works to get to the iPod. There is a lot of info about voice commands but not much about using the 5 button interface on the steering wheel or how it relates to the buttons on the dash.

The big surprise whas trying to figure out how to pause the iPod. At one point I hit the OK button and was surprised that it paused it as there is no indication that that would happen. If the OK button pauses it you would think the arrows surrounding the OK button would be for fast forward, rewind and volume. Again trial and error I found out the buttons that control the phone also fast forwards, rewinds, and controls the volume but you can't pause with those buttons.

In the early days of Windows, Microsoft included the games Minesweeper and Solitaire for people to learn how to use the mouse. Minesweeper was to learn how to click and Solitaire was for drag and drop. If an interface is so difficult to learn that the standard answer to a problem is to 'take it to the dealer' well that is on Ford. Every time you take it to the dealer for warranty for something like Sync it is eating into their profit.

I think I am going to bring my camera in the car with my and start posting photos of the display and mark it up with the issues I have.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #295
scada
Focus Enthusiast

Here is something related to dimming the dashboard: I have a dark commute early in the morning on an unlit road. The more light you have inside your car the more difficult it is to see the road ahead. The center display is very bright. An option to turn it off or make it very dim would be nice.

As it is when I am driving I stuff a towel into the dash display to minimize the amount of light in the car. I bet a portion of the people complaining they can't drive at night just have too much light inside their car.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:31 PM   #296
diesel_travis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88087
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Sedan SE 203a

FF Reputation: 1 diesel_travis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Here is something related to dimming the dashboard: I have a dark commute early in the morning on an unlit road. The more light you have inside your car the more difficult it is to see the road ahead. The center display is very bright. An option to turn it off or make it very dim would be nice.

As it is when I am driving I stuff a towel into the dash display to minimize the amount of light in the car. I bet a portion of the people complaining they can't drive at night just have too much light inside their car.
I remember finding a way to dim it once, and I turned it way down. There should be an option in there somewhere.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #297
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
I leave mine on auto dim
Old 12-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #298
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. Makes you wonder who makes the decisions, especially when they make it less user friendly. The surprising thing is that there is a lot of literature out there on making user interfaces that go back to the early days of the development of the graphical user interface.

One issue I have is that the menus are so un-intuitive. Like getting to my ipod hooked up to the USB port, you start by choosing Sync Media I think, I discovered that that gets you to the USB port by trial and error. I looked in the owners manual and I don't remember it being really clear how it works to get to the iPod. There is a lot of info about voice commands but not much about using the 5 button interface on the steering wheel or how it relates to the buttons on the dash.

The big surprise whas trying to figure out how to pause the iPod. At one point I hit the OK button and was surprised that it paused it as there is no indication that that would happen. If the OK button pauses it you would think the arrows surrounding the OK button would be for fast forward, rewind and volume. Again trial and error I found out the buttons that control the phone also fast forwards, rewinds, and controls the volume but you can't pause with those buttons.

In the early days of Windows, Microsoft included the games Minesweeper and Solitaire for people to learn how to use the mouse. Minesweeper was to learn how to click and Solitaire was for drag and drop. If an interface is so difficult to learn that the standard answer to a problem is to 'take it to the dealer' well that is on Ford. Every time you take it to the dealer for warranty for something like Sync it is eating into their profit.

I think I am going to bring my camera in the car with my and start posting photos of the display and mark it up with the issues I have.
Agreed on all points but I didn't clarify (didn't think about this being the SYNC thread and not the MFT thread) the SYNC system never had the progress bar or count down timer, just MFT. Still stupid that they took it out.

Agreed though, UI design is one of the most important things you learn when learning to develop programs and applications.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #299
AtlantaDan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107970
What I Drive: 2012 Focus HB SEL

FF Reputation: 1 AtlantaDan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_travis View Post
I remember finding a way to dim it once, and I turned it way down. There should be an option in there somewhere.
I swear, I thought I was going crazy regarding the center display being brighter than the driver's display. I am so glad I am not the only one. I've been putting my phone in there to cover the display at night because it's too darn bright!

If anyone knows the trick to dimming the center display, please post. IT DOESN'T DIM WITH THE GAUGES.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #300
scada
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

If anyone knows the trick to dimming the center display, please post. IT DOESN'T DIM WITH THE GAUGES.
It is so much brighter than gauges. I wish it would turn off altogether then turn back on when you hit OK or an arrow key.

Sent from my iPad using FF Mobile HD

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->