SYNC System Thread - Page 18 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #171
SpinKix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95912
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Gray Ti 5D DCT THP

FF Reputation: 3 SpinKix Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
why not a button in settings that just lets you reboot without losing anything? Why is the only settings option a master reset, which also wipes your presets/saved info such as destinations?
Hey FordIVTteam, ^THIS^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #172
estoyloco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85580
What I Drive: 2013 Dart Limited

FF Reputation: 1 estoyloco Good Standing Member
Quote:
why not a button in settings that just lets you reboot without losing anything? Why is the only settings option a master reset, which also wipes your presets/saved info such as destinations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinKix View Post
Hey FordIVTteam, ^THIS^
I can't believe you guys are even suggesting these as great ideas.

How about Hey FordIVTteam, why not design a system that doesn't crash, that doesn't need multiple updates to the firmware to get nowhere, and is reliable and not buggy?

That is the ^THIS^.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #173
Orcaman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100654
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Orcaman Good Standing Member
Sync Funkiness

So...anyone have any ideas? Anyone? Bueller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcaman View Post
Hey gang,

This whole Sync thing is driving me nuts. It's never worked properly for me and now it's refusing to work at all.

Here's what's going on: Whenever I connect my iPhone, iPod, or Flash drive to the USB port and then select "USB" from the Source menu, the screen displays "Initializing" for two or three minutes before reporting "Unsupported device." This only started a couple of days ago; before that, it would display "Indexing" for literally hours. I had to use the "start playing before you connect" workaround to get any music at all. Now, that doesn't work either.

In addition, Bluetooth doesn't work correctly. Although Sync connects to my phone and I can make and receive calls via Bluetooth, whenever I try to play music, I get "Connecting..." for five minutes before "No Bluetooth Device".

I've reset to Factory Defaults and performed a Master Reset with no joy. The phone connects to the phone system but I am utterly unable to get it to work via USB or Bluetooth.

My particulars: 2012 Ford Focus SEL with Sync but not MyFord Touch; iPhone 4S with iOS 5, iPhone 3GS with iOS 5, iPhone Classic (60 Gb), 16 Gb Flash drive with FAT32 formatting, flat directory structure and MP3s vetted by the syncmyride program.

Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out at this point.

-terry-
Old 07-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #174
TboneZX3
Ford Fiend

Fan#: 90494
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcaman View Post
So...anyone have any ideas? Anyone? Bueller?
The only time I've had issues similar to this, I had to many songs on my USB drive for the system to index. Once I reduced the total number of songs to < 10,000 the problem went away.
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #175
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by estoyloco View Post

How about Hey FordIVTteam, why not design a system that doesn't crash, that doesn't need multiple updates to the firmware to get nowhere, and is reliable and not buggy?

That is the ^THIS^.
I don't think anyone ever implied it was a great idea, just a common sense idea. I find a certain degree of humor in the fact that after selling everyone a bug-riddled mess prone to stability degredation and crashing, Ford's only solution they are willing to provide on-board is one that also wipes out the user's presets, thus putting even more of burden on the customer who then has to go back and reprogram/re-enter everything instead of just a simple reboot which we know the system is capable of (at least anyone that has seen the "scheduled maintenance" screen knows).
Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #176
SpinKix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95912
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Gray Ti 5D DCT THP

FF Reputation: 3 SpinKix Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by estoyloco View Post

That is the ^THIS^.
Oh sure, *IF* they could fix all the problems, we wouldn't need a reset.

But with Microsoft's history of buggy operating systems, it won't be anytime soon.

Just asking for a CTR-ALT-DEL for MFT.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #177
kinetek
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100685
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 kinetek Good Standing Member
End of the third week of having my new Focus (brand new, not pre-owned). Just hit 2k miles.

My 4GB iPod nano (old gen) is now causing the constant Indexing. I restored the iPod. Still no go. I had toggled the "Use as Disk" option, so I changed that back and I'll see if that fixes anything.

I use a Macbook Pro, so I can't use the "Sync My iTunes" software, unless someone has a link for a Mac version.

I've also noticed SYNC not picking up my iPhone4 as a Bluetooth device, even though I still see the battery and signal readout on the console screen.

WTH? I have 3.1.1 (I believe). Where can we check to see what the latest version of the software is? Or does Micro$oft keep that a secret?

I'm loving SYNC when it works, but when it doesn't, it is more annoying that messing with a cellphone in the car.

I also noticed I can't seem to save a FM station. It just resets back to the original list.

Helpz?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #178
Orcaman
Focus Rookie

Hi kinetek,

I just got back from the dealer (South Bay Ford, in Hawthorne CA) and here's what they told me:

If you have an iPhone, iPod, or iPod touch with the latest iOS, and connect via the USB connector, the Sync system will eventually lock up. The system will have to be reset before anything else can be done. For us, that means pulling the fuse or disconnecting the negative battery terminal and waiting a few minutes. Ford, Apple and Microsoft are doing the finger-pointing do-si-do on this issue, so this square dance is going to last a while.

Once you've reset the system, older iPods with click wheels should work--the technician connected his iPod Classic and it worked like a charm. Streaming via Bluetooth should also work. (I haven't tried that yet; I'll let you know what happens.) I don't know about the Nano; I would assume it operates the same as the iPhone or iPod Touch.

Also, if you have a Flash drive formatted with FAT32, it should work after reset. I connected one and the system came right up.

I'll check out the Bluetooth tip at lunchtime today and I'll let you know what I find.

Hope this helps,

-terry-
Old 07-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #179
Orcaman
Focus Rookie

Well, everything is good to go. The flash drive worked as advertised and even the Bluetooth streaming works. Now all that's left is to try my iPod Classic.

Maybe I should leave well enough alone.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #180
kinetek
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100685
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 kinetek Good Standing Member
Orcaman,

I take it you mean "reset" via fuse or disconnecting battery only? I tried a Master Reset on the unit, and there was no change with iPod via USB, although the iPhone4 seems to be playing nice again via Bluetooth.

Being a techie, I am determined to get this figured out before an official patch is released.

My next hypothesis is whether or not syncing AAC tracks make a difference. The first time I used my iPod, it was strictly MP3's that I synced over via iTunes.

The next sync, I had pulled some tracks off iCloud, which creates a local AAC copy of the original MP3 file that was uploaded to iCloud (I moved all the mp3's to an external drive and removed them all from iTunes to save space on the MBP).

So my guess is that the AAC files freak out the FordSYNC. I'll do some troubleshooting and post my findings.

Side note - I plugged a blank 512MB USB thumbdrive, with no media, and it indexed it in seconds.

Bookmarks & Social Networks