My Ford Touch Thread - Page 94 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #931
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
I realize you're both joking, but don't lump all Android users into the uneducated crowds of neanderthals that see a big screen and huge processor numbers and buy. I've owned every iteration of the iPhone/iPad (and have the new iPad coming Friday), but I still own an Android phone. Some of us like the customization and ability to do whatever we want.

Then again, the only Android phones I'll buy are Nexus phones. I want full control over everything my phone does/can do. In my opinion, vanilla Ice Cream Sandwich is every bit as solid and smooth as iOS...and *far* more powerful.
If I recall, Ice Cream Sandwich is also a closed-source iteration of Android, meaning they were able to close up all the gaps, so to speak, and allow the system to run optimally, which is defeating half the reason so many Android users like Android... open-source. I never looked into this after being explained it once, because I have an iPhone 4S and it doesn't apply to me. I still hear however, that even ICS has the Android "lag" when using it.

I love getting off topic, lol.

Quote:
I am, and I'm guessing one of the reasons I'm still that way is my propensity to buying new things. Actually I'm way too picky...I've ended far too many relationships because of small things, then realized how dumb it was later. It's been said I have a "fear of commitment" before lol

The reason they're pimping that feature is because there was a *huge* backlash from people about the Edge not having physical buttons and knobs. Why, you ask? Because the touch-buttons they installed (bottom pic) were capacitive...meaning anytime the user had gloves on they couldn't operate any of the controls lol
Funny they use capacitive touch controls when they explained the reason MFT didn't use it was for reliability of the system is extreme climate scenarios... I sure would rather have a capacitive screen for MFT...

Also, me2000, I agree with you, like you said, it's headed the right way but it's not perfect. It's someone high up trying to cater to all the people (some of us on FF included) who ASSUMED that by "early next year" Ford meant January, and when January came and went with no update, they got real mad real fast... Ford is a business, of course, and probably was thinking in terms of fiscal year, of which FY13 JUST started not two weeks ago. Early FY13 could have been April, May, even June. (When the '13 models are released anyway)

So, yeah, it could have waited a little while longer.
Sonic Crew #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #932
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

double post
Sonic Crew #28
Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #933
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
One more thing to add to the (+) column, at least for me. I've been doing a lot of streaming over the past couple of days on my drive to and from work and the song titles show up consistently. With the old version, I would often see the first song title show up and as the next track started, the old title would either stay there or it would switch to Unknown, Unknown for song title and artist (iPhone 4). Of course, with my free version of Slacker with ads, I also see things like "The Works - Ford" and "Fair and Square - JCPenney". Kind of funny.

Of course, I guess you can't have it all because it sure was 7:36 for an awful long time on my drive this morning. Oh well, let's see what time it is when I leave tonight.

I actually tried out bluetooth streaming last night. I will say that indeed it worked a bit better then the last version. I don't have an ipod but I like to listen to radio stations. I'm moving to Jacksonville early next year so I've been trying to find a station there that I like. So far I'm loving Rock 104.5 for any natives that might read my comments. I will say though that the government ad's for various things during some of the breaks are hilariously bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
If I recall, Ice Cream Sandwich is also a closed-source iteration of Android, meaning they were able to close up all the gaps, so to speak, and allow the system to run optimally, which is defeating half the reason so many Android users like Android... open-source. I never looked into this after being explained it once, because I have an iPhone 4S and it doesn't apply to me. I still hear however, that even ICS has the Android "lag" when using it.

Incorrect. Ice Cream Sandwich is currently available on The Galaxy Nexus and since it's a pure google phone Samsung was not allowed to load it's own propritory launcher and apps since google didn't make them. As a user though you can install anything you wish.

It is now also available and rolling out to the Samsung Galaxy S II where samsung HAS indeed added it's own launcher and apps.

It is NOT a closed system. None of google's operating systems are.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #934
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven456 View Post
I actually tried out bluetooth streaming last night. I will say that indeed it worked a bit better then the last version. I don't have an ipod but I like to listen to radio stations. I'm moving to Jacksonville early next year so I've been trying to find a station there that I like. So far I'm loving Rock 104.5 for any natives that might read my comments. I will say though that the government ad's for various things during some of the breaks are hilariously bad.

Incorrect. Ice Cream Sandwich is currently available on The Galaxy Nexus and since it's a pure google phone Samsung was not allowed to load it's own propritory launcher and apps since google didn't make them. As a user though you can install anything you wish.

It is now also available and rolling out to the Samsung Galaxy S II where samsung HAS indeed added it's own launcher and apps.

It is NOT a closed system. None of google's operating systems are.
I can install anything I want on my iPhone too, installing software isn't what makes the system closed. It's distribution of the source code. At first, ICS was closed, just like Honeycomb, but now that I do a little looking around, they did release the source code for ICS, so I was correct, and then I wasn't, lol.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #935
kevinxb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96008
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kevinxb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattphoto View Post
Couldn't for the life of me get my music (USB) to play shuffle this morning. Kept going alphabetical.

My guess is that their deadline for release was installation on 2013 models.
Same for my iPod. The only way I canget it to start shuffling is to have it play all. Have to do that every time I start the car back up.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #936
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 87765
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 3 FordIVTteam Good Standing Member
Do you have an email or feedback form we can fill out instead? Trying to register all of the issues people have discovered over the phone would take a fairly extended period.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking into this, I'll get back to you shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug81 View Post
Thank you for all of the help you're able to provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
^^ +1; Absolutely, thanks for your efforts, FordIVTteam.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Jaclyn

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 03-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #937
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Just noticed this when I went to grab some dinner. Anyone know the point of the line on the bottom of the home/settings buttons? I might understand it if it changed yellow and green for the top two buttons, but it doesn't, it just does red and blue.
Looks almost like a transparency issue with the button overlay.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #938
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
But.... Will they get smart and add an actual power reset button somewhere or, will they continue to assume..."Oh, this thing will NEVER freeze." To be fair, I have not had to do a fuse pull since the upgrade (4 days)
Yup, that should be a requirement. As stated in a thread linked to earlier ITT about BMW's iDrive system...

Quote:
You can reboot iDrive without having to shut the car down and wait. Just push both eject buttons (DVD and CD) and the volume knob (a.k.a the mute button) at the same time.
^ Give us something like this Ford - please!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #939
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:

Well, you've heard wrong on both accounts. Ice Cream Sandwich is still open source (as evidenced by the source code posted on the Android site...). Not a little bit, but completely. Also, there's no Android "lag" when using it. As I said at an earlier point in the thread, I've owned every iteration of the iPhone and iPad (and the new one is coming) as well as multiple Android devices. I've experienced the Android lag in the past on certain models (although there are *plenty* of ways to fix it that I don't need to go into here), but the Galaxy Nexus, at least, doesn't experience any of it. Whether that's ICS or the hardware is irrelevant...the phone has no lag.

Quote:
I can install anything I want on my iPhone too, installing software isn't what makes the system closed. It's distribution of the source code. At first, ICS was closed, just like Honeycomb, but now that I do a little looking around, they did release the source code for ICS, so I was correct, and then I wasn't, lol.
This is completely incorrect. ICS was never closed source...the source code was released more than a month before the Galaxy Nexus launched (the GSM world-edition). Honeycomb source wasn't released because it was an operating system created for and dedicated to tablets and they didn't want people porting it to phones.

And blackraven's post makes sense...Android allows you to install *anything* onto it. Your iPhone can *not* do that. He didn't say Apps, he said anything. Being able to install custom launchers, firmware, icons, menus, etc... is all possible because the platform is open-source.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #940
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Quote:
And blackraven's post makes sense...Android allows you to install *anything* onto it. Your iPhone can *not* do that. He didn't say Apps, he said anything. Being able to install custom launchers, firmware, icons, menus, etc... is all possible because the platform is open-source.
That's indeed what I meant. As far as I know you can't even install whatever apps you want onto an iphone without first jailbreaking it.

Lets try to keep the topic on MFT though.

Bookmarks & Social Networks