My Ford Touch Thread - Page 83 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #821
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict
 
BiggerBoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85913
Location: MAUMEE, OH
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

Posts: 712
FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
SYStem fUnctIonalItY cHangeS
The Outside Air Temperature Display has been moved to the
right cluster screen.
AM/FM Browse is no longer available.
The 3-D Carousel function for USB media has been deleted.
Wallpaper is now utilized on the main Home Screen, eliminating
the Shortcut Home Screen.
http://syncsupport.ford.com/media/d/...structions.pdf
Temperature on "right cluster screen" What is right cluster??

Another thing I noticed on wall paper use now is that it is 'muted' or 'reduced brightness'. Understandable, since it is only used as a background on the home screen where you are trying to seen various information displayed... illustrating what a lame idea it was to do it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
... Actually wish Ford would post the change log. That would be nice. Could be some features we would really appreciate but aren't really apparent on the surface.
You mean a comprehensive list of features and bugs fixes (issued by many software company with their releases)? That would be full and helpful communication and I have yet to see that type of interaction from Ford on MFT. I am trying to remain respectful & professional up here since the main reason I am posting is in hopes that someone at Ford is reading. Using venomous attacks or exaggerations ('total garbage') I don't think helps and would likely cause a Ford reader to just log out. But if we don't post any problems or voice our disappointment, there is NO chance any future improvements will take place.
BiggerBoat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #822
csvt2060
Focus Addict
 
csvt2060's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84122
Location: Northwest Indiana, IN
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

Posts: 772
FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
SYStem fUnctIonalItY cHangeS
• The Outside Air Temperature Display has been moved to the
right cluster screen.
• AM/FM Browse is no longer available.
• The 3-D Carousel function for USB media has been deleted.
• Wallpaper is now utilized on the main Home Screen, eliminating
the Shortcut Home Screen.
http://syncsupport.ford.com/media/d/...structions.pdf
The OAT display in the right cluster does not apply to Focus. The right cluster screen is in the IP of the Explorer and Edge, and the temperature display wasn't "moved" there, it was always there.
csvt2060 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #823
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95657
Location: Rochester, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

Posts: 213
FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
More problems with the NAV this morning. Randomly lost my HOME entry. Also it won't accept any Navigation command unless I speak "navigation" prior to the command.
All weekend I could give it a "destination..." from anywhere and it would take it.

I felt the voice commands were too loud, so i turned them down a couple of notches under settings and voice. This effectively turned off turn-by-turn navigation voice altogether. I couldn't get it back unless I cancelled the route and restarted the car.

This MFT upgrade is utter BS. Nothing works right. It's actually worse for me now.
mattphoto is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #824
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87742
Location: Rochester, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Posts: 1,864
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
v2.11 Interface Look at that big album art and the progress bar. (The car was off so you don't see the temp up top but its usually there):


New 3.0 screen, album Art- half the size, progress bar - gone, temp -gone Look at the increased useless black space at the top and bottom between the button rows and the four corner quadrants. The new setup may look cleaner but it is a MUCH LESS efficient use of the available space. I RARELY used the buttons that were at the bottom (Repeat, Shuffle, Similar music). So, they were fine along the bottom (where there is now blank space). Sticking them along the right side just makes the screen look like a bunch of buttons rather than a cool iPod looking screen. If you are just going to fill the screen with buttons, skip the screen and put real plastic buttons up there. An LCD screen is for cool looking stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post
As to all the complaints here, I don't think this is a representative population. (Ford apparently figured this out too.) Many posters here seem far more intersted in looking at the screen and seeing lots of information density and complex graphics, and having teeny buttons to allow that and so on--perhaps to the exclusion of actually looking out the windshield and driving. The average user population--not geeks in a car forum--just want the thing to work, not be a distraction from driving, provide a reasonable information set in a form that can be acquired with a minimum of eyes looking down time and with a minimum of visual effort, and not be finicky to operate. Sure, if they had the data, they could program the thing to show the words to the song and have a Karaoke sing-along bouncing ball. They could have the thing play Tetris controlled by the steering wheel buttons. They could download and play p*rn. But at some point--I'd argue, and Ford appears to be betting, a lot closer to MFT Gen2 v3 than v2--it's about the car being a tool to drive with an infotainment system, not an infotainment system with wheels. If you want to study album art while driving, please don't do it on highways my family travels.

Granted, I'm over 50, but I'm as facile with gadgets as anybody. The notion that simplifying this interface and showing less information in bigger fonts with bigger touch targets is just for old people is silly.
Not sure I buy that because if you look at the two screens above, they actually put more buttons on the Entertainment screen (More Info, which was previously obtained simply by hitting the song title). The separation of AM/FM forced BT stereo down onto the next screen which actually makes it more work and more distracting to get at. While the fwd/pause/back buttons were large on the original and are on the new version putting them in the big ugly boxes makes it look terrible. There is also a lot of black space on the new screen so it is not like they removed the previously available info and shrunk the album art to accomodate new larger, less distracting features. The space is still there for these feature. I don't stare at album art (or any other aspect of the screen) while driving but I do have passengers. This large screen is prominently displayed in the center of the dash and as such is obviously a featured visual aspect of the dash.

I upgraded on Thursday but didn't say anything to my wife because I just wanted to see what she would say without me biasing anything with my comments (she is a graphic designer). We headed out to run some errands on Saturday and her first comment when I went into the entertainment screen was "What happened to your car?" Then I told her about the update and so forth and she agreed that it looked terrible.
copernicium112 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #825
me2000
Focus Addict
 
me2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85106
Location: Beach Park, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 589
FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
Temperature on "right cluster screen" What is right cluster??

Another thing I noticed on wall paper use now is that it is 'muted' or 'reduced brightness'. Understandable, since it is only used as a background on the home screen where you are trying to seen various information displayed... illustrating what a lame idea it was to do it this way.



You mean a comprehensive list of features and bugs fixes (issued by many software company with their releases)? That would be full and helpful communication and I have yet to see that type of interaction from Ford on MFT. I am trying to remain respectful & professional up here since the main reason I am posting is in hopes that someone at Ford is reading. Using venomous attacks or exaggerations ('total garbage') I don't think helps and would likely cause a Ford reader to just log out. But if we don't post any problems or voice our disappointment, there is NO chance any future improvements will take place.
It is garbage... we wait how long for this update and it's plagued with worse bugs. We deserve so much better. And this is not a forum for Ford... this is a forum for Ford Focus owners/fans.

If Ford really would NOT fix this terrible update just because we're rightfully complaining and venting our frustrations, then THEY would be considered UNprofessional. They have a financial interest to make MFT right unless they want more bad ratings in the future. They need to stop cutting corners and do this right once and for all!
me2000 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #826
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict
 
hotleadsingerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86687
Location: Cleveland, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

Posts: 882
FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
It is garbage... we wait how long for this update and it's plagued with worse bugs. We deserve so much better. And this is not a forum for Ford... this is a forum for Ford Focus owners/fans.

If Ford really would NOT fix this terrible update just because we're rightfully complaining and venting our frustrations, then THEY would be considered UNprofessional. They have a financial interest to make MFT right unless they want more bad ratings in the future. They need to stop cutting corners and do this right once and for all!
This. I'm sick of people giving them the benefit of the doubt on this. Some of the users here have only experienced MFT for a few months...what about those of us that have been dealing with it for a few *years*? The problems have gotten more and more plentiful and the only hope we had was that Ford talked about the V3 update for a year and how it would completely fix our problems.

What happened? Nothing. An update was released that makes the interface look so simplistic my 58 year-old mother thought it looked terrible, far more glitches and bugs than before, and an interface that's just as unstable. Yes, it's far faster...it's extremely quick and fluid...but what fool would trade speed for a broke system? Multiple times already it's stopped reading my USB devices completely until the next day.

To further explain my mother: I bought her an iPhone last year and that was the first device she's pretty much owned that could connect her to the outside world reliably. I built her a computer a few years ago so she could work from home too (she's a realtor), but she pretty much only did work on it and simple other things because she didn't really understand a lot about the internet. The iPhone was her introduction to the world of technology, and she loved it. She picked it up fairly quick (as any iPhone user does, since Apple's intuitive design teams are amazing), so she's kind of my baseline on how technology works with the non-technical crowd.

I drive my mom to lunch maybe once every other week. On version 2.11 she complained that it was a bit confusing the first time she sat in the car, but after I explained it to her she was able to do anything she wanted without asking. She could change temperature controls, the Sirius channel (that was a whole other conversation), and even call people using the car. Then I updated to V3.

The first thing she said is "who made your car system ugly?". Then she said proceeded to find 5 glitches, without me even prompting her. A woman that knows as much about technology as the Amish found 5 glitches on a 15-minute ride, while 300 Ford beta testers spent months on the system and found nothing. For that very reason, *ALONE*, I refuse to give Ford the benefit of the doubt.

I'm very proud of my mother
hotleadsingerguy is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM   #827
waiting485
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92338
Location: Albany, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

Posts: 30
FF Reputation: 1 waiting485 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
It is garbage... we wait how long for this update and it's plagued with worse bugs. We deserve so much better. And this is not a forum for Ford... this is a forum for Ford Focus owners/fans.
It is buggy, yesterday on the home screen it was playing AM radio but the presets displayed were for SIRIUS, I am thinking of doing a master reset and installing the new MFT again once the NAV card arrives.
waiting485 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #828
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict
 
BiggerBoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85913
Location: MAUMEE, OH
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

Posts: 712
FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
I upgraded on Thursday but didn't say anything to my wife because I just wanted to see what she would say without me biasing anything with my comments (she is a graphic designer). We headed out to run some errands on Saturday and her first comment when I went into the entertainment screen was "What happened to your car?" Then I told her about the update and so forth and she agreed that it looked terrible.
Did similar here with my wife and 15 year old son. My wife just scrunched her face and said, I can hardly see the album cover, and my son said, "why are the ffwd/rew buttons so huge!?"

I don't doubt that some of the changes Ford made were motivated by customer feedback, I just don't think they listened to all factions equally. I'll bet way more than half of the v2 users were perfectly fine with the interface (not the freezing). Thereby, only the "too complicated" crowd were heard and all the 'happy with the interface' folks were ignored. This is a blind spot I see in many software development processes. That is, dismantle an interface 80% of the users love for the small loud fraction that is confused. Make tweaks, don't throw out all the good work you have done.

I think a significant chunk of drivers just don't really like screen based controls. Many up here said, "I didn't get MFT because I just like buttons as I have always had." Some with that attitude got the MFT anyways and said "I'm all confused" . I just wish Ford would not give in to the "Change confuses me" crowd. If they would interact with users they could have arrived at a compromise position that would have come closer satisfying everyone. As is, we now have largely a screen full of buttons. What was the point of having a high-res LCD??
BiggerBoat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #829
me2000
Focus Addict
 
me2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85106
Location: Beach Park, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 589
FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
Did similar here with my wife and 15 year old son. My wife just scrunched her face and said, I can hardly see the album cover, and my son said, "why are the ffwd/rew buttons so huge!?"

I don't doubt that some of the changes Ford made were motivated by customer feedback, I just don't think they listened to all factions equally. I'll bet way more than half of the v2 users were perfectly fine with the interface (not the freezing). Thereby, only the "too complicated" crowd were heard and all the 'happy with the interface' folks were ignored. This is a blind spot I see in many software development processes. That is, dismantle an interface 80% of the users love for the small loud fraction that is confused. Make tweaks, don't throw out all the good work you have done.

I think a significant chunk of drivers just don't really like screen based controls. Many up here said, "I didn't get MFT because I just like buttons as I have always had." Some with that attitude got the MFT anyways and said "I'm all confused" . I just wish Ford would not give in to the "Change confuses me" crowd. If they would interact with users they could have arrived at a compromise position that would have come closer satisfying everyone. As is, we now have largely a screen full of buttons. What was the point of having a high-res LCD??
1000% agree. I didn't mind the old interface at all. It could have used A LITTLE cleaning up and I like *some* of the new design elements. All I wanted them to do was fix the hang ups, freezing, and improve navigation functionality.

Oh well! I will be patient and wait for the fix pack.
me2000 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #830
me2000
Focus Addict
 
me2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85106
Location: Beach Park, IL
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

Posts: 589
FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Look at BMW's UI:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/12/b...ands-on-video/

Now that is polished!
me2000 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.