My Ford Touch Thread - Page 57 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #561
blackraven456
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88061
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
Thanks for the info jbird. I've been torn as whether or not to grab the file through here and do myself now and live without Nav or wait. Being without Nav for a few days is no big deal deal but since Ford has said "over the next few weeks" for mailing I didn't want to be without it a month or so.
Apparently the scary guy warning it could magically somehow void your warranty said it should hit the smr website by the end of the week.

Im going to wait for that, or until some brave canuk tries this download and chimes in.

Sent from my Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #562
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
OK, so the list of things they removed seems to be growing. I have, and will again, make the argument that giving people a bunch of cool features and then taking them away does not constitute an upgrade but a downgrade. If you sell people a great feature and then take it away it is not good but at least replace with an equally cool or cooler feature. It would be a lot easier pill to swallow if they said "Well, we took away your home screen and customizable shortcut buttons and temperature and valet mode and progress bar but guess what? We gave you Applink!" Instead of "Well, we took away (all of the proceeding) but guess what? We gave you nothing!" Speed and stability don't count as a replacement since nowhere in the brochures or at any dealerships was it advertised that MFT was a slow, bug-riddled, crash-prone, unstable mess. We were all under the impression we were getting stability when we bought it.

Maybe the dumbed-down look is, like csvt said, necessary for speed (though I wonder because if one of the things they said they did was actually utilize the GPU this time around the CPU should have more resources available I would think but I don't do this for a living so I don't know) and I also agree that the new big blocky fonts look ridiculous and dated. I too had no problems with the appearance of the old version, functionality/menu structure, and really liked the info that was provided in the four corners when on home screen. I don't see why they could not have offered an menu option for appearance, the ability to select between "I'm an idiot that can barely operate a blender" mode and "classic MFT" mode.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #563
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
And I feel the need to document problems I currently have with the update:
Good testing! As someone noted above, they should have let some of the Fanatics up here beta test rather than just Ford employees. There have already been several significant bugs found in under two days up here. Bugs that were not found in 3 months by their beta testers? These beta testers must have included my elderly mother. I work in software development and we have found that outside testers always uncover bugs we missed. We also found that making our most vocal complainers betas was a double-win:
1) They are obviously good at finding bugs.
2) You can ask them to communicate with you instead of flaming the company on discussion boards

Hopefully something Ford will learn.

I haven't had time yet to install the zip I accidentally downloaded but...

3) No progress indicator on USB/iPod.
-Crap, that's gonna bug the crap out of me. Not sure why, but I look at that progress indicator all the time when listening to music

5) Volume indicator doesn't update for every change.

-Hmm, this reminds me of a common complaint with the original system. That is, the actual volume emitted had a large jump between (i think it was) increment 4 and 5 where it was too soft and 4 and too loud at 5. Anyone remember this??
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #564
blacktoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90125
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue SEL

FF Reputation: 1 blacktoe Good Standing Member
I just got an email stating that the update is shipping. After reading these recent posts I am unsure if I want to install it. I haven't had any problems with the interface just a few problems with stability. I don't want to lose some of the functions in the current version (temp display, ability to assign *1 & *2, etc...) WTF, I have been waiting for ths promised update for months!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #565
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
I installed the update last night, and messed around with the settings for a few seconds before taking off for work this morning. There is a valet mode. I didn't go into the actual valet mode menu to test it, but it's there.

I like the separation of the AM/FM buttons. If I want to listen to a baseball or football game, I don't want to have to press the "FM" button four times to cycle through FM, FM1, FM2, and AM, or whatever they used to be. Personal preference I guess. I agree that it would be nice to be able to drag and drop the buttons to a specific location.

One thing I really don't like is the fade effect when the screen changes. Fading gives the illusion of slowness. Maybe the system really is processing the data to be displayed while the screen fades in and out, but if not, they should eliminate the fade effect so screens just pop up instantly.
Hmm...the only time I had to play with the new system was 10 minutes last night and the 15 minute commute this morning, but I didn't see Valet mode. I guess the only place I didn't look was under some of the settings menus. If it's nested that far down then it's still a problem...no point in telling the valet "wait a minute while I find my Valet mode".

That brings me back to the "assigning favorite buttons" discussion point. Absolute necessity.

And as for the AM/FM...I know there are people that use AM and were probably annoyed by this, but there are a *VAST* majority of people that never listen to AM and will be annoyed by *this*. Personal opinion is always nice, but when a company designs an interface they need to think about the majority. The majority will never listen to AM. The best option would be the ability to move around the buttons, but if that's not an option then combining them back into 1 button is the most logical choice.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #566
Doug81
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85686
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Doug81 Good Standing Member
Hopefully they can add some of this functionality back quickly because my favorite buttons WERE useful.

The GUI is inconsistent and looks like a cobbled together mess; some elements of the GUI are too big and others are too small. On top of that, why do the virtual buttons have to look like physical buttons? Does someone really need that much of a hint to know that you're supposed to press it with your finger?

This update to me so far is only a win for stability and a loss regarding all other aspects. The look may grow on me but they really need to address some of the graphics sizes and missing elements like a progress indicator for playing media and shortcuts.

For our sake, I hope they shipped this update knowing it wasn't perfect but intended to follow up with a quick update to address outstanding issues. There are just too many glaring oversights in a product that needs to be successful. Otherwise either Ford didn't listen to their testers or they need more competent testers.

/rant
Old 03-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #567
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
. There have already been several significant bugs found in under two days up here. Bugs that were not found in 3 months by their beta testers? These beta testers must have included my elderly mother.
LOL, good one! It does really make you think though. The update has not even hit anyone's mail box and there are already bugs found. Wait until hundreds of thousands get their hands on the new software.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #568
paladin732
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88993
What I Drive: 2012 Candy SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 paladin732 Good Standing Member
I just spoke with the 800 number and apparently all the NAV SD cards are identical, they are not serialized. It looks like that someone that has the NAV SD card may be able to post the contents like the update was posted, and those of us with NAV can use it. (I'm betting there is some switch deep in the OS that controls if it even looks for it, and this particular version of the maps does not bother with a serial, since everyone will have this as a base map now)

So... if someone wants to PM me a link to a copy of their Maps SD, I would be more then happy to test the theory :)

(fyi, I did the downlaoded update last night, and aside from not being able to use nav now.. its like a night/day difference, its amazing)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #569
txskeets
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85127
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 4 txskeets Good Standing Member
I'm still convinced (though I have no way to test this) that even though my MFT did not come with NAV, that if I popped an official SD card from Ford into the SD slot that the NAV would work perfectly. Fords BS line that it has to be activated at the factory in my mind is just wrong. Even though I dont have NAV, I can use Sync Destinations and it will give me turn by turn directions though MFT. I'm going to figure out a way to test this theory one day. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post
I just spoke with the 800 number and apparently all the NAV SD cards are identical, they are not serialized. It looks like that someone that has the NAV SD card may be able to post the contents like the update was posted, and those of us with NAV can use it. (I'm betting there is some switch deep in the OS that controls if it even looks for it, and this particular version of the maps does not bother with a serial, since everyone will have this as a base map now)

So... if someone wants to PM me a link to a copy of their Maps SD, I would be more then happy to test the theory :)

(fyi, I did the downlaoded update last night, and aside from not being able to use nav now.. its like a night/day difference, its amazing)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #570
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,833, Level 32
Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32 Points: 2,833, Level: 32
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
The update finished on my way to work this morning (I have a 50 mile commute). It basically finished with 3 minutes left to get to work - needless to say, I've barely tested it yet - but I'll come back with my comments (read: complaints) sometime after 4pm.

Bookmarks & Social Networks