My Ford Touch Thread - Page 56 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #551
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm not sure if this affects the warranty, so I definitely did NOT:

Download the file from >txskeets's website<
Verify the MD5 checksum with >this program<
Format an 8GB SD card (FAT32)
Unzip files to said SD Card
Start car (waited a second for everything to load - just in case)
Went to entertainment quadrant and inserted SD card
Let install do its thing (restarts a few times during the update)

Because I "did not" do this, it didn't take about 45-50 minutes
It also "does not" work great.

Am I making myself clear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #552
Doug81
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85686
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Doug81 Good Standing Member
So far the new version works great. I don't like that there's no apparent way to make shortcuts and there's no progress indicator for USB playback, with an iPod at least.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #553
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
I was just on the phone with support asking about the ship date for the thumbdrive updates. For those of you with NAV option it's shipping this week! For those of us without, it's not yet been scheduled :(
Old 03-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #554
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp_53 View Post
While we're waiting to hear from SNAPthr0w, here is the screen protector I'm using:
http://www.nushield.com/order.php?ap...turerid=Ford++
So far it has been great, with decent anti-glare properties.
I'm using the same one and it's been perfect! I've had it since 2 days after I got my car (May 10) and it's never had a problem. No bubbles, no streaks, no dust. It's fantastic and it makes the screen pop. It almost completely eliminates glare.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #555
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
And I feel the need to document problems I currently have with the update:

1) Not being able to assign the favorites buttons is ridiculous. They're both completely useless, as it is. Does Ford really think we need a button to go...to the main screen? Or to the Sync Services screen?

2) No Valet mode. WTF were they were thinking here? No Valet mode means my personal addresses and phone numbers are available for anybody that gets into my car. Guess I won't be accepting valet parking anytime soon...

3) No progress indicator on USB. WTF again lol. Who on Earth would remove this? At least give us a "1:00/3:04" or something. I have no idea how long some of these songs are and I'd like to have *some* indication of when they might end. Same is true for both iPod and USB sticks.

4) Randomly the Play/Pause button didn't function when I was playing from the USB stick. I switched inputs to and from the iPod and it worked fine.

5) Volume indicator doesn't update for every change. It only updates every *other* change. I like to set my volume one notch under the first main notch when I park it overnight...but that notch isn't one of the ones that gets updated. Meaning: I set it to the first main notch, then drop it a bit lower, but there's no visual indication. Huh??

6) Separation of AM/FM. Lol what? Did they honestly think people wanted the AM and FM stations separated into different buttons?? Now my first USB device is on the first screen and my second is on the second page. If I could, I'd just remove AM from the list completely. What a waste. Why would they feel the need to change this?? The best option would be letting us re-order this list as we see fit. I'd throw AM and CD at the bottom of the list, as I never use them.

Outside of these things, I freakin *LOVE* the new system. It is incredibly fast, seems to be stable and reliable, and is far more intuitive (although this doesn't really matter to me...just important if I pick up my parents to take them somewhere since the old system was just a bit beyond them). A few small changes and this system would be perfect!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #556
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the info jbird. I've been torn as whether or not to grab the file through here and do it myself now and live without Nav or wait. Being without Nav for a few days is no big deal deal but since Ford has said "over the next few weeks" for mailing I didn't want to be without it a month or so.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #557
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackraven456 View Post
Why do I have this "no pun intended" sinking feeling that even with this update MFT will continue to be a hopeless POS?
That's not good that they have overlooked the "favorites" hardbuttons on the Focus. Also, I hear the valet mode is gone.

It looks like this MFT thread is more active, so I will post my thoughts here I wrote in another thread:

I just spent about 1 hour with the updated system in both the Focus and Lincoln MKX brand new on the dealership lot.

In my honest opinion, I am disappointed. While it may be a leap forward in catering to "non-technical" or older people, it went a step back in overall functionality. I never had a problem with the interface (as many people here), just the stability. It was intuitive as is.

I appreciate what they tried to do making the graphics blockier and bolder, but it makes the system look older and dated. I am guessing part of this is the former, but the latter is I am guessing it takes less processing with the new graphics to speed up the system and avoid lockups (supposidly).

I also confirmed the outside temperature is now gone without a setting to turn it on. They added a compass to the non-navigation systems so I am not sure the logic since most people look at temperature more than compass. The volume bar is alot smaller which seems the reverse of making everything else larger. The home screen shortcut mode and wallpaper mode are gone.

One of the major items for me is you can no longer see what's playing on satellite radio (artist and song) on the home page. It shows the station name on the preset, and then the station name again above the presets which is useless.

I don't feel like going into the entertainment screen every time I start the car just so I can have the functionality I had before with artist and song. Climate also doesn't show what mode it's in unless you are in the climate function, whether it's auto mode, floor, defrost, etc.

On the stability note, not a good initial impression. Again, this is on one vehicle, but I was simulating turning the car off and getting back in. Several times when it booted back up it forgot the satellite was playing, and the entertainment button would not go to the entertainment screen. I pushed the power button on the touch screen and on the lower panel and the radio would not turn on. Finally turned the car off and back on and the radio started working. Did this several times and the radio wouldn't work consistantly. (also, Ford, your lincoln THX demo cuts out after 1 second unless you have the radio on before running the demo, heads up)

So I left the dealership without getting the update so I can decide what to do. Looking at my older system's graphics on the way home was a big difference, it looks so much nicer. If only it was stable.

Yes, only my opinion, but a huge letdown for me tonight. Can only hope for another update soon.

Sigh.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #558
HPDSgtJDS
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88509
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL w/ MFT & Nav

FF Reputation: 1 HPDSgtJDS Good Standing Member
Anyone in the Houston area have any luck getting the upgrade? I've called two different dealerships in the area and of course theyre clueless that the update has been released... Thanks

---
I am here: Posted Via FF Mobile3mxgcp
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #559
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post

2) No Valet mode. WTF were they were thinking here? No Valet mode means my personal addresses and phone numbers are available for anybody that gets into my car. Guess I won't be accepting valet parking anytime soon...

6) Separation of AM/FM. Lol what? Did they honestly think people wanted the AM and FM stations separated into different buttons?? Now my first USB device is on the first screen and my second is on the second page. If I could, I'd just remove AM from the list completely. What a waste. Why would they feel the need to change this?? The best option would be letting us re-order this list as we see fit. I'd throw AM and CD at the bottom of the list, as I never use them.
I installed the update last night, and messed around with the settings for a few seconds before taking off for work this morning. There is a valet mode. I didn't go into the actual valet mode menu to test it, but it's there.

I like the separation of the AM/FM buttons. If I want to listen to a baseball or football game, I don't want to have to press the "FM" button four times to cycle through FM, FM1, FM2, and AM, or whatever they used to be. Personal preference I guess. I agree that it would be nice to be able to drag and drop the buttons to a specific location.

One thing I really don't like is the fade effect when the screen changes. Fading gives the illusion of slowness. Maybe the system really is processing the data to be displayed while the screen fades in and out, but if not, they should eliminate the fade effect so screens just pop up instantly.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #560
txskeets
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85127
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 4 txskeets Good Standing Member
Well, we all knew that the new update wouldn't be everything to everyone. Honestly, I think what matters is stability at this point. If this update successfully resolves the lockups, reboots and random stuff that MFT/MLT has been doing for many people, then I think its a good update. Menu's and temperature features can always be added back in with another update. I think the main point of this update was to address the stability and mess that was MFT/MLT. I read in one of the forums somewhere that they found when they were rewriting this, that there was actually a 2nd processor in the system that was there for graphics and it was BARELY being used. Apparently the old company (BSquared) missed that. Supposedly the new update actually makes use of the "graphics" processor the way it was intended to be used! Like I said, though the new update may not have been exactly what you wanted and hoped for, if it resolves the issues that MFT/MLT has been having, then be content for now. :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks