My Ford Touch Thread - Page 320 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #3191
OnlyFords
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 112260
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 OnlyFords Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had 1 update done about 4 months ago at the dealer on my Focus, not on my Explorer, Guessing I will need to take the Explorer in also as this is a wide spread issue with MFT.
Stations would change on their own when streaming pandora when MFT wanted to play nice and connect to my phone. Other times I get into drive and the stereo will not come on at all. I will update everyone after the 17th when I take it in to the dealer for service.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #3192
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
I had the system reset on me again sometime between last night and this morning. Got into the car, started it up, and noticed the following 4 symptoms:

ipod is indexing (this happens often without the other items)

rear camera guidelines are turned off (this also happens under other circumstances)

Nav map reverted from "3D" view to "2D (heading up)" (this only seems to happen with the MFT resets)

Pressing the "I" (or "2") button on the steering wheel no longer going to sirius link page. (Yes, after reading about that on here, I set that as well to better detect the resets.) (this also only seems to happen with the resets.)

So, at least there's a consistent way to detect the resets, and it's pretty obvious that they are some form of reset or reboot. In fact, it's very similar to what happens when I choose the options for doing a master reset (which doesn't clear my presets or anything - it just does what I described above.)

What I'd like is a consistent way to repeat them. Of course, it doesn't really matter if I can repeat it or not - it's not like Ford gives a damn about resolving the issues.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #3193
r1ch999999
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106748
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 r1ch999999 Good Standing Member
I called last night after the attempt to update left me with an unusable system, it was locked in a loop where it wanted to update but failed, and even after shutting down the car and removing the USB it still wouldn't come back. I reformatted my USB drive as FAT instead of FAT32, downloaded again, and today it worked, but not until after I blew up at the poor tech guy about how I'm tired of this system. I also called the dealer and asked them to buy my car back, to which they agreed, so we'll see what they offer me for it.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #3194
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
Pressing the "I" (or "2") button on the steering wheel no longer going to sirius link page. (Yes, after reading about that on here, I set that as well to better detect the resets.) (this also only seems to happen with the resets.)
Yep, like I said in an earlier post, that is the one that is 100% reliable for me to indicate a reboot. The others are iffy at best as they are not consistent.

Quote:
So, at least there's a consistent way to detect the resets, and it's pretty obvious that they are some form of reset or reboot. In fact, it's very similar to what happens when I choose the options for doing a master reset (which doesn't clear my presets or anything - it just does what I described above.)
It is a reboot, not a reset. Resets will wipe not only the stereo presets you mentioned above but also wipe your phone from MFT, wipe your nav favorites/previous destinations (if you have nav), and any saved wallpapers if you use those.

Quote:
What I'd like is a consistent way to repeat them. Of course, it doesn't really matter if I can repeat it or not - it's not like Ford gives a damn about resolving the issues.
Are you saying you want to repeat them on purpose? If so, see here for the delayed reboot app:

http://outofmytouch.com/reboot.html

With this you can cause a reboot whenever you want (delayed reboot, after installing the app it will not reboot until the next time the car is shut down).
Old 05-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #3195
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
Are you saying you want to repeat them on purpose? If so, see here for the delayed reboot app:
I don't want to repeat any reboot on purpose... I want to repeat this specific issue on purpose. Then I can show it to the service people who insist that if they can't repeat it, it never happened.

Then, they'll send a hotline request to the ford engineers, who will spend 3-4 hours before responding to the hotline request.

The hotline request response will then contain one of two things: Either that it's a "normal undesired characteristic condition", or they'll try to blame the number of songs on my ipod, the number of contacts in my phone, or the phase of the moon.

The point, however, is only to get it documented - along with the long list of other things I'm getting documented.

I'm trying to think if there was anything unusual I did last night which might have prompted this to happen - and there actually is... I was polishing/sealing/waxing the car, which usually involves opening and closing the doors frequently (in order to get inside the door handle and the paint that can only be accessed when you open the door.) Each time the driver's side door opens, the MFT screen lights up like it's doing some kind of partial power on. Then I close the door and it shuts back down. I'm wondering if doing that repeatedly (4-6 times) might be related.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #3196
r1ch999999
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106748
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 r1ch999999 Good Standing Member
I would say that it is, I had my door opened and closed a lot when I was first putting in the kids carseats. It did the same thing, rebooted. After I had it waxed the first time it set itself in transport mode. I suspect now that the opening and closing causes an issue.

Maybe if Ford is watching this they could make a note and look into it.

But now you have a way to try to repeat it.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #3197
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,491, Level 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
I don't want to repeat any reboot on purpose... I want to repeat this specific issue on purpose. Then I can show it to the service people who insist that if they can't repeat it, it never happened.
Gotcha. Sorry, didn't understand. I have the delayed reboot app on a drive that I keep in the car at all times for when I need it. I find it is a helpful thing to have on hand because it can clean up a lot of issues when the system starts acting up (without the PITA of a master reset that wipes out all of the saved data).

Unfortunately, though, in my experience they (the ones I didn't initiate) are quite random so don't know that you will be able to consistently repeat it. Perfect example - I was driving home last Tuesday evening and stopped for gas. Everything seemed to be functioning fine on the drive to the gas station. Filled up and hopped back in my car and started it up. Sure enough I was looking at the "Performing Scheduled Maintenance" screen. It was in the middle of a reboot, one that started after I shut down the car at the gas station apparently. Something causes the system to hang/get bogged down and then it reboots to recover. I have never noticed a specific condition that triggered it (doesn't mean there isn't, I have just never detected a pattern).

You might be on to something with your car door opening/closing thing though. I have in a couple of cases tried to do too much too fast and it has caused a reboot. Again, not a hard and fast set of things I did but just a lot a little too quickly. You could always hop in and just start switching between screens/functions/ etc. while simultaneously trying to issue voice commands or something like that to see if you can hang it up and get it to reboot.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #3198
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
I was driving home last Tuesday evening and stopped for gas. Everything seemed to be functioning fine on the drive to the gas station. Filled up and hopped back in my car and started it up. Sure enough I was looking at the "Performing Scheduled Maintenance" screen. It was in the middle of a reboot, one that started after I shut down the car at the gas station apparently. Something causes the system to hang/get bogged down and then it reboots to recover. I have never noticed a specific condition that triggered it (doesn't mean there isn't, I have just never detected a pattern).
Were you under one of those big overhangs that blocks the satellite reciever? I swear the system gets weird when it cant get a Sirius or GPS signal.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #3199
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Were you under one of those big overhangs that blocks the satellite reciever? I swear the system gets weird when it cant get a Sirius or GPS signal.
Also, what was the weather and the day of the week? It seems that the system might also reboot on Tuesday's if the weather is slightly cool and it's raining. I think a waning half-moon might also cause it.

</sarcasm>
Old 05-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #3200
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,491, Level 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using FF Mobile.
Yeah, but it is the same gas station and same pump I usually go to (I'm a creature of habit I guess). Doesn't typically reboot when I stop for gas. The majority of my reboots occur either sometime when my car is parked at work for the day or sometime parked in my driveway at night (I don't park in my garage). In these cases my car is sitting out completely unobstructed from above.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.