My Ford Touch Thread - Page 317 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #3161
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
Ford isn't the only car manufacturer struggling in the infotainment space, they all suck at it right now.
Actually, my wife's chrysler minivan has a "uconnect" system that seems pretty stable. While I don't use it on a daily basis, I did go through the system and I didn't find any shocking bugs. It does have "less than optimal" design flaws, but those aren't really bugs.

At least Harmon (the company that makes uconnect for dodge/chrysler/jeep) can figure out how to keep the proper time. As a matter of fact, I think Ford's "MyFord Touch" is the only vehicle infotainment system that is incapable of figuring out the proper time when a GPS is attached and getting a signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #3162
r1ch999999
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106748
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 r1ch999999 Good Standing Member
Mine doesn't even know what day it is, I need to update it soon
Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #3163
haloflightleader
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113855
What I Drive: 2013, White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 haloflightleader Good Standing Member
Of the possible ways to resolve this, a software fix is the least amount of cost and effort. The issue here is likely that the code was put together without adhering to something called TDD (Test Driven Development).

This being a Microsoft product, I don't know whether this style of development is even plausible without resorting to writing a testing framework. My guess is one doesn't already exist.

If I had to guess the code for this is written the same way I wrote my first PHP application, No Framework, No Testing. Did it work in the end? Yes. Did it work well? It worked better than MFT! Bwahahaha!!!

I don't even know how you start developing for this platform? Is there an SDK somewhere? Is the problem that the framework itself is buggy therefore whatever is relegated to it is also buggy?

Either way, I believe I can help coding this baby into shape if the source was Open Sourced.
Automated Parking System
27city/38hwy
Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #3164
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch999999 View Post
Mine doesn't even know what day it is, I need to update it soon
<sarcasm>If you call Ford and tell them that, they'll tell you it's not a defect. They'd tell you that the car is perfectly aware of what current day is: The current day is the one before tomorrow and the one after yesterday.

They'll then tell you that you'll need to drive the car another 50,000 miles to break-in the clock, after which today will only be a memory so it doesn't really matter anymore.
</sarcasm>
Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #3165
haloflightleader
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113855
What I Drive: 2013, White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 haloflightleader Good Standing Member
If there are any developers out there, take a look at these:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembe...downloads.aspx
http://www.qualnetics.com/WE-ADK/

I was curious about how I might start writing my own apps for this. MFT is based on MS Auto 4, this is Auto 7. And to start developing for it, see the cost of the development kit in the link above.
Automated Parking System
27city/38hwy
Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #3166
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloflightleader View Post
If there are any developers out there, take a look at these:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembe...downloads.aspx
http://www.qualnetics.com/WE-ADK/

I was curious about how I might start writing my own apps for this. MFT is based on MS Auto 4, this is Auto 7. And to start developing for it, see the cost of the development kit in the link above.
The cost of admission just makes one appreciate open source that much more. I looked into WEA last year and thought...nah.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #3167
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch999999 View Post
Their best bet is to dump Microsoft and go with Android
People keep posting stuff like this. What makes you all so sure that Android has been ported to the platform? That drivers exist for all the other hardware in the environment? And so on... If you have to get past any of that, the job just got bigger and the risk got bigger as well.

You also have to have a basic aptitude for developing for this kind of environment and, to date, Ford has not exhibited this aptitude.

I'm also not sure we have evidence that Microsoft WinAuto is more than tangentially part of the problem here. Owners with basic Sync don't seem to be having problems like MFT owners have. It's hard to imagine how the OS causes problems like not being able to key non-numeric WiFi keys into the 3.5.1 UI--when it worked in all prior versions, or not being able to remember after a one minute shutdown what audio source was playing before the shutdown, or changing the setting for the backup guidelines for who knows what reason, or the design choice to just sit and pout after a connected phone disconnects or...

(We may, however, have evidence that lots of folks have an involuntary anti-Microsoft reaction. But crap appware can make any platform look bad.)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #3168
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

It's not about the platform or even about MS vs Android, etc. While I'm not sure what platform MFT is based on (I've heard people claim its flash based, and now someone saying it's MS embedded), it really doesn't matter.

An unstable platform would present itself as total crashes, reboots, and freezes. Those are, fortunately, rare in MFT when compared to the frequency of other issues.

The fact is that the majority of the MFT issues reflect poor development practices (which includes the entire pipeline... from concept design, project management, software engineering, testing/QA, etc.) If only one or two of those parts of the pipeline were broken, the remaining aspects would have still caught the bugs.

In my 25+ years as a developer, I have never seen such a poor software product - and the only times I've seen it come close, it was the DIRECT result of an unbroken chain of extremely bad decisions by upper management types. The quality of work in MFT isn't even worthy of being called an "alpha testing" release in my opinion - and I don't know a single developer who wouldn't be ashamed at having such a poor product released. I didn't even write it, and I'm embarrassed if any of my peers find out that I have the system in my car. It's really THAT bad.

I can't even imagine the series of incredibly poor decisions that must have been made to get something of such a low quality released. Horrible hiring choices, lousy planning, rushed (and obviously untested) development, no meaningful QA - and the entire thing was probably being managed by "the bosses son" who just got an associates degree in Home Economics. Even then, I STILL can't figure out how so many bugs were released.

For example, they took out options for manually changing DST. So, they KNOW that daylight savings calculations are going to be a concern. How could it possibly have slipped through the cracks that DST wasn't working?! If you're building a car and decide to change from a 6 speed to a 4 speed, one of the FIRST things you're going to check is that the gear transitions work properly with the reduced number of gears, right?

I really just can't understand how a company like Ford managed to get so many things wrong in a single 8 inch screen. It also scares the hell out of me that this same company is selling large trucks and SUVs that could easily kill thousands of people if the rest of the car is implemented half as poorly as the "MFT" system within.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #3169
Trol1374
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114168
What I Drive: 2013 gray focus Titanium MFT/nav,

FF Reputation: 1 Trol1374 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
Really? Can you confirm that, with your Razr HD paired, you are able to use the following voice commands (without getting an error response):

"Messages"

"Listen to text messages" (not "listen to message 1")

"Reply to Message"

"Forward message"

My reason for asking is that I've gone through a stack of android phones (including two that are on the so-called compatibility list) and each one of them gives a verbal error in response to the above voice commands. The verbal error will state the phone isn't compatible with text messaging (even though text messaging works fine with the touch interface and with the verbal command "listen to message 1" works fine.)

IF your phone works, I'm starting to have very strong suspicions why it's not working for the other phones. Motorola is one of the very few companies that supports the old "AT" style commands for manipulating text messages. It's possible that some of the voice commands are using that older interface. (Of course, its also possible it's just looking at the phone model and ignoring other phones...)

Take care
Gary
Yes, I can either press the button on screen to "listen" to the incoming message. Or I can press the voice button and say "listen to messages" and it will read it. Only works on last message received.
The reply to message thing, either I'm telling it how wrong or wording it wrong it always seems to default to the last canned response (number 15?). I say "reply to message" and it will skip a beat as it says reply to xxx xxx xxxx and then pop up the canned responses and say do I want to send 15. If I say no, it will just keep asking the same thing.
Haven't tried forward.
I've heard that android Jellybean had changed their bluetooth stack and this is from just reading around on various developer forums.
I've never heard it tell me the device isn't compatible.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:30 AM   #3170
r1ch999999
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106748
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 r1ch999999 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post
People keep posting stuff like this. What makes you all so sure that Android has been ported to the platform? That drivers exist for all the other hardware in the environment?
Because Andoid is available for the CPU in it, drivers aren't that hard to write, and by switching to Andoid, or even Linux (since linux will also run on the procesor) you open yourself up to a different development community. AFAIK there are no apps available for the MFT but with Android or Linux there are. And, if you make it open source, you have the opportunity for thousands of unpaid developers to help you. Unfortunately the people who make those decisions are going to see it as losing the sole source provider status and all they'll do is lose sleep over the imagined dollars they won't be able to get out of us.

Bookmarks & Social Networks