My Ford Touch Thread - Page 312 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #3111
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloflightleader View Post
I just bought a Focus about four weeks ago (see my sig). And waiting for the system to completely boot to avoid guidelines from becoming unset is untrue. This will happen at unpredictable times...
Agreed. I experience the same issue. I'm starting to keep notes on when this occurs, and I suspect that MFT is experiencing some type of reset that causes the following things to all occur at or around the same time. (These are just the things I'm noticing):

The navigation map view reverts to "2D" (I normally keep it on a 3d view); The vehicle setting for the reverse camera guidelines gets turned off; and if there's an ipod (or other USB media device) connected, MFT will start to reindex it.

The problem you're going to have bringing this to a dealership is that they can't fix it. They send a "hotline" request to Ford... and it often takes 3-4 hours for Ford to respond to that request. The responses are often completely useless and/or completely ignore key facts that the dealership sent to them. In your case, they'll likely tell the dealership to refer to "SSM 32174" (I don't have a copy of it, but I think it talks about putting the car into reverse before the system is booted up.) They'll ignore any mention by the dealership of the issue occurring regardless of when you put the car into gear.

There's no open dialog - it's a process of sending the hotline a few lines of text and waiting several hours for a response.

Quote:
It is so infuriating because when I tell them there is a defect, they treat me like I'm a moron that I don't know what I'm talking about. I have to prove to them that a defect exists all the while they utter bullshit as if I'm lying to them.
I don't work for Ford, and I'm just as angry at them as you are expressing here. However, keep in mind that the dealerships have their hands tied by Ford Motor Corporation. The dealership depends on Ford to pay for the costs of doing warranty work, so if Ford doesn't approve it, the dealership really can't do it. It's also possible that if the dealership does warranty type repairs without Ford's approval, it can void parts of your warranty (unauthorized work.)

Try to keep that in mind when dealing with the service folks at your dealership. Those service individuals aren't the problem (and if you express an understanding of their position, it can only help you in the long run...)

Take care - and good luck
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #3112
haloflightleader
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113855
What I Drive: 2013, White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 haloflightleader Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm109 View Post
Question about My Ford Touch. I'm not familiar with using a car with My Ford Touch at all. I was wondering if the Cd player/radio works independently from the touch screen? Can you just have the touch screen be totally black while just using the cd player/radio?
I too would be interested in the screen going dim. In all honest, even when blackened, it's still quite bright and when I'm driving I don't always need it on. I would like the option of it going dim automatically or completely off until I awaken it.
Automated Parking System
27city/38hwy
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #3113
r1ch999999
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106748
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 r1ch999999 Good Standing Member
I'd like to just get rid of it, I wonder how hard it would be to sell one. It's not exactly plug and play with a focus without it is it?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #3114
agbusmc3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96659
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 agbusmc3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I too would be interested in the screen going dim. In all honest, even when blackened, it's still quite bright and when I'm driving I don't always need it on. I would like the option of it going dim automatically or completely off until I awaken it.
If you go to display settings there is an option to turn the screen off... In order to turn it back on simply touch the screen

Sent from my EVO using FF Mobile
Old 05-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #3115
haloflightleader
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 113855
What I Drive: 2013, White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 haloflightleader Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd9 View Post
I don't work for Ford, and I'm just as angry at them as you are expressing here. However, keep in mind that the dealerships have their hands tied by Ford Motor Corporation. The dealership depends on Ford to pay for the costs of doing warranty work, so if Ford doesn't approve it, the dealership really can't do it. It's also possible that if the dealership does warranty type repairs without Ford's approval, it can void parts of your warranty (unauthorized work.)

Try to keep that in mind when dealing with the service folks at your dealership. Those service individuals aren't the problem (and if you express an understanding of their position, it can only help you in the long run...)

Take care - and good luck
Gary
Gary, thank you for the reply. Although, I haven't thought about this completely by itself, I suspected that something like this was going on. But there is still a fundamental issue here:

These guys are making me out to be a complete fool instead of trying to hear and understand what I have to say. They are smug and short about it and pointedly insulting. After I demonstrated the issue several times, they changed their tone, "Thanks for being a part of the repair process.".

I get they need FMC to pay for the cost of repairs, but it doesn't mean that every customer that walks in for a warranty call is immediately an idiot. Although there are some people out there, the majority of people don't want to waste their time driving to the service center; and only to be greeted with "What defect? I don't believe you." My guess is Mercedes dealerships have a similar arrangement but never once was I treated this way. In fact, during our conversation I was so frustrated, I had to say, "I'm not lying to you. I have no reason to. I just want to enjoy the car already." And then the tech finally said, "Fine, I'll take a look at it."

I will keep in mind that they have to make sure Ford covers the repair costs, but does treating customers like they're idiots increase the likelihood of that?
Automated Parking System
27city/38hwy
Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #3116
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Agreed. I experience the same issue. I'm starting to keep notes on when this occurs, and I suspect that MFT is experiencing some type of reset that causes the following things to all occur at or around the same time. (These are just the things I'm noticing):

The navigation map view reverts to "2D" (I normally keep it on a 3d view); The vehicle setting for the reverse camera guidelines gets turned off; and if there's an ipod (or other USB media device) connected, MFT will start to reindex it.
The system often reboots and if the reboot occurs in entirety while it is shutdown you will not see the scheduled maintenance screen. I use the following indicators:

Like you, the reindex/BVC thing even though nothing has changed on the music source and it has not been removed or anything. This used to be a very reliable indicator that a reboot had occurred but not so much anymore as with v3.5.1 the system seems to want to spontaneously reindex/BVC randomly even with no reboot.

Like you, the map view change but this is not reliable either. It occurs after some reboots and not after others (seems to be about 50% of time for me).

Sync-lady hopping on and telling you "For your safety, please use voice commands while driving" (or whatever the message is) upon startup. Also not totally reliable as it doesn't occur after every reboot either.

Don't know if you use the information screen but I use Sirius traffic/travel link. If I suspect a reboot has occurred and I go into the information screen and the default screen is Sync Services instead Sirius traffic/travel link that clinches it. That one is a 100% completely reliable indication for me.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #3117
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
Could be my imagination, but I thought I have noticed the system rebooting when starting the car some place it cannot get a signal from Sirius within short order - ie parking garage.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #3118
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I will keep in mind that they have to make sure Ford covers the repair costs, but does treating customers like they're idiots increase the likelihood of that?
No, I don't think it does. I'm not trying to justify all their actions - only to remind people that the primary problem is Ford Motor - and usually not the dealership. (There are always exceptions, of course.)

I get the impression that Ford encourages the service people to have this attitude in order to turn away customers. A customer who thinks it MIGHT be their own fault might be too embarrassed to push the issue and cost Ford money. Of course, I could be wrong on this... it's just my impression.

Take care
Gary
Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #3119
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Interesting car tech article on Computer World today:

Here's why new car tech is four years out of date
Think you can upgrade your car's hardware? Not anytime soon.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...8&pageNumber=1

I say again, we don't need proprietary infotainment solutions in our vehicles, the smartphone can do it all. The car just needs to provide a mechanism to process input, display data, and amplify sound from the phone.

Upgrading should be as simple as buying a new phone.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #3120
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
The navigation map view reverts to "2D" (I normally keep it on a 3d view);
Mine has started doing that intermittently in the past month, too.

I've never seen it before in the first year of ownership...?

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6

Bookmarks & Social Networks