My Ford Touch Thread - Page 270 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #2691
mousethis
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107296
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 mousethis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABFORDGUY View Post
The Focus ST in our showroom has the star keys.. and they function. I wasn't too happy to see that. I really don't want the useless buttons on my wheel
Maybe this means that hope still exists for our star keys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #2692
aaron.b
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98162
What I Drive: 2012 focus ti

FF Reputation: 1 aaron.b Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
Sorry, my original procedure may have been unclear. Hard to describe this stuff sometimes but if you are still having problems, let me know where and I'll see if I can explain better. It does work though.
Thanks for the help I figured out the procedure just no luck getting texts to come thru. Ill start fresh with another master reset this weekend and try the process again.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #2693
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABFORDGUY View Post
The Focus ST in our showroom has the star keys.. and they function. I wasn't too happy to see that. I really don't want the useless buttons on my wheel
Sounds like they're just slapping surplus buttons onto new models. What a stupid thing to do.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 12-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #2694
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Doh. I got it. I failed to turn my phone completely off and back on like you said. When you mentioned not rebooting I thought just lock and unlock. For the hell of it I just powered it off and back on. Now the show notifications toggle is there. Trying to test it with a friend now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gullwingdmc View Post
Works on mine! Thanks for the info. Nothing like a simple 9 step process :)

The only thing I didn't do was the master reset. I started my car up let the phone connect and went from there. I did notice that after I deleted Sync from my bluetooth devices on my phone and did a full restart Sync was back in the devices. SO I tried deleting it again, waiting a minute then just doing a power off and on, like you said. That worked.
Quote:
Now that you know you can get "Show Notifications" to show up, try again from the beginning and note gullwing's observation above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.b View Post
Thanks for the help I figured out the procedure just no luck getting texts to come thru. Ill start fresh with another master reset this weekend and try the process again.
Best of luck. A couple of notes above. Again, if still no success post back if you want and let's see if we can figure out. One thing I noticed is that if you initially establish a pairing without "Show Notifications" set to on it seems to keep the notifications off preference even if you delete and re-pair your phone. Once you have the procedure down, you have to remove your phone from MFT, remove Sync from your BT profile on your phone, and then give it a little time to make sure each really clear out. Then start fresh.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #2695
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Sorry, my original procedure may have been unclear. Hard to describe this stuff sometimes but if you are still having problems, let me know where and I'll see if I can explain better. It does work though.
I think its more a function of the phone actually. With my Windows 8 phone, when a message comes in, the phone makes an announcement over Sync and asks me if I want it to read the message and at the end I get prompts to reply, etc. These are the same commands I hear from the phone with my BT earpiece.

My wife was sitting in the passenger seat when a message came in and was pretty impressed.

Joe
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #2696
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
I think its more a function of the phone actually.
Not sure I'm following what you are saying. The process I am referring to is in reference to getting text messages to show up through MFT specific to an iPhone on iOS6. According to Ford, the iPhone/MFT combination is unable to utilize the text messaging feature of MFT. In reality, however, you can receive text messages through MFT and have the system read them to you. You just can't send any messages out through the system with an iPhone. Still, even the receive-only functionality is better than no functionality.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #2697
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Not sure I'm following what you are saying. The process I am referring to is in reference to getting text messages to show up through MFT specific to an iPhone on iOS6. According to Ford, the iPhone/MFT combination is unable to utilize the text messaging feature of MFT. In reality, however, you can receive text messages through MFT and have the system read them to you. You just can't send any messages out through the system with an iPhone. Still, even the receive-only functionality is better than no functionality.
What I was attempting to add is that from what I read your issues are I do not see with my Windows 8 phone. All those problems that you have and are expecting to see work do work on mine as you say do not on yours.

Hence I think its more the phone than MFT.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #2698
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
Quote:
According to Ford, the iPhone/MFT combination is unable to utilize the text messaging feature of MFT. In reality, however, you can receive text messages through MFT and have the system read them to you.
What Ford has said about iOS6 and MAP is:

"Our testing shows Apple implemented a non-standardized implementation of Bluetooth MAP on iOS6. As a result, iPhones will not work in a robust manner with SYNCís text messaging feature. We continue to work with Apple to ensure future compatibility."

By not working in a robust manner they mean it did not consistently "work and/or give mixed results" . "So because the functionality is not 100%, it didn't pass the compatibility check list"

Toyota's Entune is having the same result with Apple's non-standard MAP. Toyota lists the iPhone 5 texting as "Partially Compatible. Compatible, however some features do not function as expected under certain conditions." Owners can sometimes receive texts, but can't reply.

Why Apple chose to go against the recognized MAP standard I'll never know. During the iOS6 Beta, they did follow the standard at least part way through the Betas.

Now the auto manufacturers need to implement workarounds to fix a problem created by Apple or beg Apple to follow the standard.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #2699
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
What I was attempting to add is that from what I read your issues are I do not see with my Windows 8 phone. All those problems that you have and are expecting to see work do work on mine as you say do not on yours.

Hence I think its more the phone than MFT.
Don't get me wrong. I completely know it is the phone. I wasn't implying it was MFT (or blaming Ford). I know it is Apple's weird BT protocols. I don't take issue with it or view it as a problem. I just got it to partially work with my iPhone after screwing around for a while. The guy said he has an iPhone also though and I was just trying to let him know he can get at least partial functionality. I know I could get full functionality if I went and got another phone but honestly it doesn't mean enough to me to do so (at this point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTi View Post
What Ford has said about iOS6 and MAP is:

"Our testing shows Apple implemented a non-standardized implementation of Bluetooth MAP on iOS6. As a result, iPhones will not work in a robust manner with SYNC’s text messaging feature. We continue to work with Apple to ensure future compatibility."

By not working in a robust manner they mean it did not consistently "work and/or give mixed results" . "So because the functionality is not 100%, it didn't pass the compatibility check list"

Why Apple chose to go against the recognized MAP standard I'll never know. During the iOS6 Beta, they did follow the standard at least part way through the Betas.

Now the auto manufacturers need to implement workarounds to fix a problem created by Apple or beg Apple to follow the standard.
I know what Ford said and I know what they mean and again, I'm not blaming Ford here and I agree with your last two statements above but that aside, honestly I laughed my a$$ off when I read the word "robust" in their statement. Such an idiotic corporate-speak word. They released the same statement in this forum, forums for other models, and over at SMR but not until hard pressed. Initially they just put up a post at SMR about the new compatability chart. It wasn't until questioned that the official statement (including "robust") was placed. Same verbiage across all of the sites so it was a corporately-approved copy/paste statement.

Anyhow, in my personal opinion I think they should let iPhone users know that they can at least use part of this functionality but if a user were to visit SMR and view their compatability chart they would just leave with the impression that "I can't use this at all" and move on. Why not let owners know?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #2700
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
Quote:
I laughed my a$$ off when I read the word "robust" in their statement. Such an idiotic corporate-speak word.
Robust and robust design are very common terms in technical and engineering environments. It's not an "idiotic corporate-speak word" IMHO.

Bookmarks & Social Networks