My Ford Touch Thread - Page 209 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #2081
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My whole system completely and utterly locked up this afternoon. I was listening to a podcast (BT Audio) and the phone rang. Everything just froze.

Normally, the system will realize it's f'ed and initiate a reboot after a few minutes. Not this time. I was on the freeway so I had a totally frozen system for 15 minutes. Finally, I exited and had a chance to force it to restart... by turning the car off and opening the door at a red light. The thing finally rebooted (maintenance screen) and all's back to normal.

Provided you consider what I described above being considered normal, of course...

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #2082
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsfocus View Post
Less engineers = more problems that will not be fixed in a timely manner and more issues to come.

This explains why the whole system has gotten worse with the v3 update and why the v2 system had many more features and increased functionality.

I had a theory that the same people (engineers) who developed the v2 system were not the same idiots who tried to make this v3 crap MFT. Now I know I was right.
Huh???? I think you are the only person who wants more BSquare engineers involved. LOL
Old 08-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #2083
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
This article explains the common problems stemming from device manufacturers and how they cause problems for systems like MFT

"What’s most impressive about Ford Sync is the amount of work Ford has put into supporting a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) ecosystem that allows applications and phones to seamlessly interface with and take advantage of the vehicle’s capabilities. One of the most significant challenges Ford has faced is the cavalier way device manufacturers often treat the issue of product updates and bug fixes. Bluetooth performance has been troublesome in more than one instance, with manufacturers shipping immature or buggy drivers with no timeline for when such problems will be fixed (if ever).

This is a problem we’ve discussed in other contexts, and it’s an issue Ford may be in a unique position to influence."

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-tech-industry
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #2084
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaTi View Post
This article explains the common problems stemming from device manufacturers and how they cause problems for systems like MFT

"What’s most impressive about Ford Sync is the amount of work Ford has put into supporting a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) ecosystem that allows applications and phones to seamlessly interface with and take advantage of the vehicle’s capabilities. One of the most significant challenges Ford has faced is the cavalier way device manufacturers often treat the issue of product updates and bug fixes. Bluetooth performance has been troublesome in more than one instance, with manufacturers shipping immature or buggy drivers with no timeline for when such problems will be fixed (if ever).

This is a problem we’ve discussed in other contexts, and it’s an issue Ford may be in a unique position to influence."

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-tech-industry
THIS. Thank you, I'm so sick of the bluetooth issues being touted on here as if they're a MFT issue. They're not!!! All MFT has is a ubiquitous Bluetooth driver that will interface with most phones utilizing Bluetooth. How well the Bluetooth is integrated into the phone is really what will cause problems or not and what will really affect how the system responds to the phone.

My iPhone 4S has next to no issues with MFT. The ONLY issues I see are when streaming Bluetooth Audio sometimes the feed of info showing the song and artist (for instance via Pandora) will freeze up and sit on the same set of info sometimes for several drives, I haven't been able to isolate how it's caused and how it's fixed. But my Bluetooth audio still works, my hands free calling works great, even Siri when activated prompts the car to enter "call mode" and lets me talk to Siri through the mic in the car, it's actually really convenient for those of us with iPhones because we don't have Bluetooth MAP yet so we can't have the car read our messages, but Siri can.

The car can't have a Bluetooth interface specific to any device, and it doesn't, it has a Bluetooth interface that's widely accepting to multiple devices that support the same Bluetooth version (i.e. 2.0, 4.0, etc. I'm not sure what MFT employs) So how well the SPECIFIC device responds is up to the manufacturer and the device.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #2085
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95657
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 mattphoto Good Standing Member
It's pretty clear what issues are BT and which are not. In many cases BT issues are the phone, not MFT... iPhones stick to solid BT standards (even though Apple often gets criticized for being slow to support the latest BT technology) there is reason for this, and Ford confirms it, compatibility.
A lot of android and windows phone manufacturers will try to get the latest and greatest BT tech into their phones and push out a version not ready, not tested, and WILL cause problems... then driver update after update...
It's the price you pay for a "more powerful" phone with "more features" --it's going to be inherently buggier.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #2086
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattphoto View Post
It's pretty clear what issues are BT and which are not. In many cases BT issues are the phone, not MFT... iPhones stick to solid BT standards (even though Apple often gets criticized for being slow to support the latest BT technology) there is reason for this, and Ford confirms it, compatibility.
A lot of android and windows phone manufacturers will try to get the latest and greatest BT tech into their phones and push out a version not ready, not tested, and WILL cause problems... then driver update after update...
It's the price you pay for a "more powerful" phone with "more features" --it's going to be inherently buggier.
I see your point, but really it's just the manufacturers doing the same thing as Ford with MFT. It's just a lack of testing and jumping the gun. If they'd test the new technology internally and help quash bugs and issues before they widely release the product, then the consumer wins.

Unfortunately, Apple is one of the only companies that extensively tests internally to the point where the end product is usually very stable, regardless of what technology they choose to implement, new or old.

What I love about Apple is they use what works to make sure the consumer has the best experience possible, but they also pioneer new technology, like Thunderbolt (faster than USB 3.0 and used for more than just data transfer) and their Retina Display tech in the iPhone, iPad and now MacBook Pro.

There's a reason they sit at the top of so many things when it comes to technology.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #2087
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
I see your point, but really it's just the manufacturers doing the same thing as Ford with MFT. It's just a lack of testing and jumping the gun. If they'd test the new technology internally and help quash bugs and issues before they widely release the product, then the consumer wins.

Unfortunately, Apple is one of the only companies that extensively tests internally to the point where the end product is usually very stable, regardless of what technology they choose to implement, new or old.

What I love about Apple is they use what works to make sure the consumer has the best experience possible, but they also pioneer new technology, like Thunderbolt (faster than USB 3.0 and used for more than just data transfer) and their Retina Display tech in the iPhone, iPad and now MacBook Pro.

There's a reason they sit at the top of so many things when it comes to technology.
Yep...Apple wants the average consumer to have what it considers the "best" experience- but that is heavily influenced by their desire to control and minimize support. Keep in mind that Apple support is the most generous of any gadget hardware manufacture. They provide free lifetime support, walk-in-same-day support, free training, in-depth sales, upgrade incentives, and a bunch more things. Staffing a tiny apple shop in a mall with 20 well-trained employees does not come cheap... so when they design a product, and choose what version of BT, what processor, how many ports, how many protocols, they always consider how much support time it takes when the OS, software, build, or customer will cause because of it. Adding the latest BT chip in there would be great for those few techies that want fast this, and feature rich that... but in the long run, does flooding the genius bar with people having BT connectivity issues with their car, PC, or whatever offset that benefit?

The downside with MFT is that it tries to do everything all at once and be compatible with everything. That and poor, poor QC on the testing end.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #2088
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Yep...Apple wants the average consumer to have what it considers the "best" experience- but that is heavily influenced by their desire to control and minimize support. Keep in mind that Apple support is the most generous of any gadget hardware manufacture. They provide free lifetime support, walk-in-same-day support, free training, in-depth sales, upgrade incentives, and a bunch more things. Staffing a tiny apple shop in a mall with 20 well-trained employees does not come cheap... so when they design a product, and choose what version of BT, what processor, how many ports, how many protocols, they always consider how much support time it takes when the OS, software, build, or customer will cause because of it. Adding the latest BT chip in there would be great for those few techies that want fast this, and feature rich that... but in the long run, does flooding the genius bar with people having BT connectivity issues with their car, PC, or whatever offset that benefit?

The downside with MFT is that it tries to do everything all at once and be compatible with everything. That and poor, poor QC on the testing end.
Disclaimer: Off Topic!

Control yes, minimizing support, no, you contradicted yourself with that statement with the rest of your post, as you stated they're the most generous company out there when it comes to support, why waste money on tech that isn't stable and then have to deal with it? That's not minimizing support that's just smart. I don't blame them for using what some consider "old" and what I consider "consumer ready" (i.e. stable) hardware in their devices to minimize the issues on the consumer end. If you want the latest tech every 3-6 months in your phone, buy Android, if you want a phone that works well and uses a system that's much more stable, buy Apple. Simple as that.

Back to MFT! Being compatible and trying to do multiple things at once isn't a downside it's what the idea of an infotainment system is. I boil it down to the QC, not what the system is designed to do. Better QC and a better programming team would have made MFT what it was supposed to be. But maximizing compatibility by using basic standards for Bluetooth is smart, it leaves it up to the phone manufacturer to make sure the BT works well, and lets the MFT system focus on more important functions. (in theory, lol)
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #2089
mattphoto
Focus Enthusiast

Yes, minimizing support. That is 100% true and if you read their quarterly reports for the past decade, that has been a key strategy. Control is one method of obtaining lower support request numbers. They don't control for the sake of control. There's no profit in that. Stop being a fanboy and look at the business logic.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #2090
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
It was the corporate rep i have been dealing with over the phone. I actually took my car into Cortese dealership yesterday and got confirmation SEPT 1 for the patch. They were notified because they have a few customers repeatedly bring in their cars for MFT problems. He said I could pull in any time after Sept 1 and he would apply the patch for me. The service guy there did not know about a Q4 update.
Well, getting closer and if that date is accurate, perhaps some of us will have little project for Labor Day weekend?? I'd like to assume we can just download and apply and not have to go to a dealer for it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks