My Ford Touch Thread - Page 205 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #2041
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
So when you replace the fuse it runs the "schedule system maintenance"? Didn't know that I've never done a fuse pull.
Yup, fuse pull initiates a fresh boot. The .cab just forces a reboot without pulling the fuse/killing power to the system.

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #2042
red-i
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 18685
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti - Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 red-i Good Standing Member
is the master reset also a fresh boot (along with wiping settings... sometimes)?
Old 08-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #2043
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
OK, something happened yesterday that is causing me to rethink the whole root cause of the voice problem I have been having, when considered along with another major problem I have had since the update. My initial thought was that my index was whacked, not totally wiped out and rebuilt after the update. I have had two dealer reinstalls, countless master resets, reboots, a new APIM, wiped out the iPod, reset, and reloaded, and so on and so on so I don't think it can be that at this point anymore. The other major problem I have been having is since the update my hands-free calling quality tanked as soon as the new version was installed. With 2.11 my wife would not even know I was driving when I called her and since the update, she can barely hear me, is always saying "What? All I can hear is road noise when you are calling from your car."

So I was driving home from work yesterday and hopped on the expressway. I hit voice and said "Play song Porcelain". Four wrong songs, "None of those." I got into "stubborn" mode and refused to give up, doing this over and over ("play song porcelain", "none of those", etc.) The first several miles of my expressway drive on the way home is exposed concrete, some of which was ripped up and replaced last summer. It is quite loud. Further up, closer to civilization I hit a nice smooth asphalt coating on the same expressway. Much quieter when driving. I was still trying to get the song to play. I just happened to hit the nice quiet asphalt and said "Play song Porcelain" for about the 20th time and wham, it didn't play the song but it only gave me two choices, instead of four, and the first choice was "Porcelain".

So this started me thinking about what I mentioned above, the whack-job lists I get and it getting locked into this 'listing songs that start with the same letter' mode. It made me think back to the letters that tend to show up when this happens. I never paid attention but now that I think about it it tends to be letters like S, W, F, M, N, H. I ignored the letter and considered the sound of the letter. I guess I never paid enough attention but it seems that all of these misguided suggestions seem to start with really soft and droning letter sounds. White noise/road noise is also really soft and droning.

I didn't have time to test anymore last night as I was busy but this morning on the expressway I waited until I got to the concrete portion. I hit the voice paddle and said "Browse artist". I didn't say an artist name. It accepted the command and it brought up a list of albums by "The The". I never said "The The". I never said anything. "The The" is repetitive, soft-sounding, and droning. It just filled that in for me without me saying it, like it interpreted the road noise as "The The". I guess my next tests are to find some troublesome song titles that will not work effectively on this stretch of road and then see if they behave any better trying them while sitting in my driveway not moving, no road noise at all.

So, my new theory, based on the fact that my phone call quality has been confirmed to pick up a lot more (as in tons more apparently) background noise than it used to pre-update, is that issuing voice commands for songs is also picking up this noise and having trouble isolating what I am really saying from said background noise and giving me suggestions based on the background noise instead of what I am saying, especially when the road noise is at its peak, using these aforementioned letters, or more accurately aforementioned sounds of letters, based on hearing this noise.

Thoughts anyone? I'm really close to this as it has been a major annoyance since the update and being wrapped up in it so closely I'm not sure I can be totally objective so I am looking for anyone detached from the situation to point out any holes/flawed logic or anything else of note.
That's a great theory. I will say my voice commands are all sorts of crappy when my windows are open. There is also a "fix" that allows you to kind of isolate outside noise by stuffing anything that would deaden the sound from the outside above the overhead microphone, there's a how to on here somewhere and someone said they had great luck with it and that oddly underneath where the mic is you're pretty much then touching the metal of your roof and there was no sound deadening at all.

Mine luckily has been fine windows up but as I said with a lot of road noise I have had terrible luck.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #2044
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-i View Post
is the master reset also a fresh boot (along with wiping settings... sometimes)?
Yeah, I believe so. At least for me. When it works right it seems to accomplish the same as a reboot with the exception of the PITA of having to redo all the stuff that gets wiped. Both the delayed reboot and the master reset seem to fix the same problems in my experience (temporarily).

Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
That's a great theory. I will say my voice commands are all sorts of crappy when my windows are open. There is also a "fix" that allows you to kind of isolate outside noise by stuffing anything that would deaden the sound from the outside above the overhead microphone, there's a how to on here somewhere and someone said they had great luck with it and that oddly underneath where the mic is you're pretty much then touching the metal of your roof and there was no sound deadening at all.

Mine luckily has been fine windows up but as I said with a lot of road noise I have had terrible luck.
Hmmm. I never have the windows open when I drive. I am also driving the same routes with the same tires and same road noise (ergo same cabin noise) that I had pre-update but it worked much better before. I am wondering if the update did something to the mic sensitivity/noise cancellation. I don't even know if that is software driven. I did read the thread about the mic fix but I never thought to do anything about it because I never had an issue pre-update, music commands and call quality were great. You, myself, and several others on here have had 2.11 so we all have a basis for comparison and it was not a problem then for me. The update was the only thing that changed. The other parameters have remained the same.

There is always a chance I suppose that the mic went bad but it seems awfully coincidental that both of these things started occurring immediately post-update.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #2045
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
Yeah, I believe so. At least for me. When it works right it seems to accomplish the same as a reboot with the exception of the PITA of having to redo all the stuff that gets wiped. Both the delayed reboot and the master reset seem to fix the same problems in my experience (temporarily).

Hmmm. I never have the windows open when I drive. I am also driving the same routes with the same tires and same road noise (ergo same cabin noise) that I had pre-update but it worked much better before. I am wondering if the update did something to the mic sensitivity/noise cancellation. I don't even know if that is software driven. I did read the thread about the mic fix but I never thought to do anything about it because I never had an issue pre-update, music commands and call quality were great. You, myself, and several others on here have had 2.11 so we all have a basis for comparison and it was not a problem then for me. The update was the only thing that changed. The other parameters have remained the same.

There is always a chance I suppose that the mic went bad but it seems awfully coincidental that both of these things started occurring immediately post-update.
This is true, but it's odd how consistent the experience with MFT is... I feel like my voice commands and hands-free calling have been better post-update. Either way, could be worth investigating on quieter roads to see if you have better luck.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #2046
aaron.b
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98162
What I Drive: 2012 focus ti

FF Reputation: 1 aaron.b Good Standing Member
Brought the focus in to the dealer for service on mft......radio presets and radio station are missing...also having the speakers blare and distort when i open my car door at random times with the engine off....was told the ford engineers are working on this problem and nothing can be done at this time.

As a loyal ford customer this is terrible news. I know everyone else here with mft is having similar if not the same issues. When you spend a couple thousand dollars extra for this feature and this is what you get it is very disappointing. If this issue is not addressed and soon i will be going elsewhere for my future new car purchases.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #2047
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I know it sucks, but hang in. Microsoft and Ford are working on it. We were told an update is pending

Sent from my iPhone 4 using FF Mobile
Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #2048
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire View Post
I know it sucks, but hang in. Microsoft and Ford are working on it. We were told an update is pending

Sent from my iPhone 4 using FF Mobile
It still impresses me when it works well and honestly it does work well most of the time for me. So, I can hold tight, I'll have this car a while.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 08-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #2049
estoyloco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85580
What I Drive: 2013 Dart Limited

FF Reputation: 1 estoyloco Good Standing Member
It still impresses me that Ford hasn't figured out anything post 1.5 year+ of it being out. Definitely hold tight to have anything fixed.

My Focus' MFT, 15 months later, multiple updates, service visits, loss of use and gas, same problems plague it.
My wife's Dodge, 9 months later, factory stock software, 0 problems experienced whatsoever.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #2050
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoyloco View Post
It still impresses me that Ford hasn't figured out anything post 1.5 year+ of it being out. Definitely hold tight to have anything fixed.

My Focus' MFT, 15 months later, multiple updates, service visits, loss of use and gas, same problems plague it.
My wife's Dodge, 9 months later, factory stock software, 0 problems experienced whatsoever.
What model does she have?

I can be patient because my system works more often than it gives me issues and I've had my car 12 months already and can count on one hand how many "BSODs" I've had, other than that most issues I have are replicable programming errors, not bugs.

But if you're still having issues maybe Ford will buy your car back, they did it for someone else.
Sonic Crew #28

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->