My Ford Touch Thread - Page 178 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #1771
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99369
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 WizeGuyDezignz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think I have deduced that updating the software over existing software is causing most of these MFT issues. I purchased my car last week with MFT3 already on it and I have had pretty much zero issues.

The only issue I have had twice is that the time changed when I got into my car. Ever since I changed the time back about 5 days ago and I clicked on the date part of the settings to make sure it was the right date as well, it has been perfect and hasn't lost time (yet).

But if the time changing once in a while is my biggest issue, which it has been so far, I will not complain one bit. Other than that I haven't had any of the other issues reported here. My preview channels haven't been blank, my MP3 player has been working without a hitch, it resumes from the exact part of the song from when I turned my car off, I haven't had any freezes, etc.

So in my opinion it's installing software over existing software. As people have noted here, the "master reset" isn't exactly a master reset lol. That must be some of the problem.

The perfect analogy for me is my Android smartphone. I am very well versed in rooting, installing custom ROM's (software), etc. On the phone, if you don't do a full wipe of your phone (data, cache, etc), before installing a new ROM, you almost always have issues and things not behaving properly. If you do a proper wipe and start fresh, you almost 100% of the time have zero issues and a good experience.

I think Ford meant "master reset" to be a complete wipe to start fresh. But as we know, it isn't completely wiping everything. I think that's where the problem lies.

Just my opinion and $.02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #1772
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 3,966, Level 40
Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40 Points: 3,966, Level: 40
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz View Post
I think I have deduced that updating the software over existing software is causing most of these MFT issues. I purchased my car last week with MFT3 already on it and I have had pretty much zero issues.

The only issue I have had twice is that the time changed when I got into my car. Ever since I changed the time back about 5 days ago and I clicked on the date part of the settings to make sure it was the right date as well, it has been perfect and hasn't lost time (yet).

But if the time changing once in a while is my biggest issue, which it has been so far, I will not complain one bit. Other than that I haven't had any of the other issues reported here. My preview channels haven't been blank, my MP3 player has been working without a hitch, it resumes from the exact part of the song from when I turned my car off, I haven't had any freezes, etc.

So in my opinion it's installing software over existing software. As people have noted here, the "master reset" isn't exactly a master reset lol. That must be some of the problem.

The perfect analogy for me is my Android smartphone. I am very well versed in rooting, installing custom ROM's (software), etc. On the phone, if you don't do a full wipe of your phone (data, cache, etc), before installing a new ROM, you almost always have issues and things not behaving properly. If you do a proper wipe and start fresh, you almost 100% of the time have zero issues and a good experience.

I think Ford meant "master reset" to be a complete wipe to start fresh. But as we know, it isn't completely wiping everything. I think that's where the problem lies.

That may be and as with another MS product, Windows, it's best to do a clean install rather than install it overtop of the existing install.

And, that raises another question ... what effect the "system maintenance" has on system stability. As with the other MS product the thing that gets hosed most frequently in Windows is the registry and if there is something like that in the kernal for MFT than we could be seeing the core of MFT being as much or even more responsible for the problems as the so called apps.

Brian
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #1773
WizeGuyDezignz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99369
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 WizeGuyDezignz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
That may be and as with another MS product, Windows, it's best to do a clean install rather than install it overtop of the existing install.

And, that raises another question ... what effect the "system maintenance" has on system stability. As with the other MS product the thing that gets hosed most frequently in Windows is the registry and if there is something like that in the kernal for MFT than we could be seeing the core of MFT being as much or even more responsible for the problems as the so called apps.

Brian
I agree. Can FordIVTeam chime in on this? If not chime in, maybe they can pass along word that we might need a fresh install of MFT for it to function properly.

Installing software over existing software is almost always a bad idea. If only "master reset" was doing exactly that, we probably wouldn't have most of these issues.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #1774
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
So in my opinion it's installing software over existing software.
Yes, exactly what I was saying in my post at the top of the previous page. You have a clean install of 3.0.2. I had a clean install of 2.11. Now I have 3.0.2 installed over 2.11. Nothing but problems for me.

Quote:
As people have noted here, the "master reset" isn't exactly a master reset lol. That must be some of the problem.

The seems especially obvious to me when I plug my iPod back in after a master reset and it continues playing where it left off prior to the reset. If everything was wiped and reset, how does it know where it left off last time? As I said earlier, w/2.11 after a master reset it would start right in with the first alphabetical song on my iPod, not where it left off prior.

That being said, though, I think the same was true for the master reset in 2.11. I had to do a handful of them while I had it and it never seemed to be the same twice. Sometimes my phone would be gone but the radio presents and wallpaper were still there. Sometimes I would lose both of those but my phone would still be there, and various other combinations of things missing and/or not missing. It certainly wasn't the same every time. The 2.11 master reset didn't seem to really wipe everything out either.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #1775
HillbillyInBC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85169
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

Points 491, Level 9
Points: 491, Level: 9 Points: 491, Level: 9 Points: 491, Level: 9
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 HillbillyInBC Good Standing Member
I think what frustrates me most about v3 (aside from the fact that I didn't want it in the first place and my dealer installed it anyway) is that I can't even appreciate the fixes for the three problems I had with v2.11 (crappy outdated maps, frequent failures to stream Bluetooth audio, and the shuffle reset thing I described upthread) because of all of the things they screwed up, rearranged, made uglier, or just frickin' deleted for no good reason.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #1776
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
There were a couple questions on the MFT reset/reboot:

It's fuses # 67 & 79. Shut off the car, pull these 2 fuses which are in the fuse panel under the glove box under an easily removable panel. The diagram of fuse locations is on page 303 of the user manual. MAKE SURE to leave the fuses out for a couple minutes because the capacitors hold power for a bit and if you don't leave then out long enough, the voltage will not go to zero and you won't get the hard reboot you seek.

Replace the fuses and turn the car back on. The screen will be black for what seem like forever (a min or two). Don't panic, you should soon see the 'Performing System Maintenance' screen, a progress bar and a good boot-up.

One final note: The fuse pull is better than a "Master Reset' because:
1) It will not result in loss of any major settings or require phone repairing etc. (Master Reset does clear settings)
2) I don't believe the 'Master Reset is a hard power boot like the fuse pull is. So, if any of the flakiness is from hardware microchips or bios level issues, only the fuse pull will clear that up.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1777
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Weird event that occurred over the weekend for me that (after reading the end of my story) may save you from tearing some hair out with your iPod MP3 player.

I have an iPod Nano 16Mb and it has been working pretty well since the the v3 upgrade but I had not added any new music in a while. I added a couple new albums and a few random songs. I ran the Sync my iTunes utility (as always). After replugging the iPod into MFT, I got the standard re-indexing /rebuilding voice commands which took a few minutes to complete. Once that was done , I figured, I'm good to go. Ummm, not so much. I tried choosing one of the new album via voice command. I got some cryptic voice error that I don't even recall. So, I used browse the select the album. It started playing the first song..over and over which is when I notice it indicated song 1 of 1 (on 12 track album). And, every album I started showed 1 of 1. I was also seeing missing and/or wrong album art. I was crapping my pants with fury. I fooled around with it for the last ten minutes of my drive and then went to dinner.

When I turned the car back on a couple hours later, everything worked perfectly on the ipod. All described problem symptoms, gone. Why? I have no idea. Was it continuing to re-index things in the background with no indication of said activity? Did it need the soft restart that the car power on/off provided? No idea.

The point is, if you add new music to you iPod and it all goes to crap, don't spend too much time playing or panicking. Just go to diner for 2 hours.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #1778
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:

Help me out here, guys... does MFT reside on anything OTHER than the APIM?

I ask because, if so, I've had all sorts of issues with 3.0 even after Ford installed a new APIM in my car.

Now, if the system is installed somewhere else, then perhaps this is indeed a good path to investigate.

(Honestly, I have no idea about this, so forgive me if this is a stupid/obvious question.)

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 06-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #1779
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,491, Level 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
I tried choosing one of the new album via voice command. I got some cryptic voice error that I don't even recall.
Was it the "Corrupt Media" error (I don't call the exact wording)? I was getting this after a master reset once. It only happened when I tried to play an album by voice. It told it me could not play because of corrupt media. It only applied to the album level, any album. Playing a particular song off an album, even after it told me the album was corrupt, worked fine.

The problem eventually self-corrected.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #1780
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Points 1,491, Level 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPilot View Post
Help me out here, guys... does MFT reside on anything OTHER than the APIM?

I ask because, if so, I've had all sorts of issues with 3.0 even after Ford installed a new APIM in my car.

Now, if the system is installed somewhere else, then perhaps this is indeed a good path to investigate.

(Honestly, I have no idea about this, so forgive me if this is a stupid/obvious question.)
Wondering this myself. Not just MFT itself but any other variable data such as individual's phone, index, presets, etc.

Bookmarks & Social Networks