My Ford Touch Thread - Page 166 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control


Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #1651
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 3,044
Points 3,713, Level 38
Points: 3,713, Level: 38 Points: 3,713, Level: 38 Points: 3,713, Level: 38
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
What with all the problems we've had with MFT and its software being based on MS's Windows Automotive it's beginning to look like they should have called it "Vista for Vehicles" instead!
I don't understand how you can come to the conclusion that a poorly written app indicates problems with the underlying OS.

There are many infotainment systems (from different auto manufacturers) that are running on Windows Automotive.
Kabigon is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #1652
raptor1956
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97725
Location: Taylorsville, UT
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,210
Points 3,932, Level 39
Points: 3,932, Level: 39 Points: 3,932, Level: 39 Points: 3,932, Level: 39
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I don't understand how you can come to the conclusion that a poorly written app indicates problems with the underlying OS.

There are many infotainment systems (from different auto manufacturers) that are running on Windows Automotive.
Apps and OS are not two separate things, the apps use the api's available from the OS and the OS should do a better job of containing the problem to the specific program area or task.

But, it is a fair point that there is more to the equation than the OS and that poorly written apps make things difficult.

And, while were on the subject of apps, who specifically wrote the apps? Was it a fully internal Ford project -- that would be highly unlikely. I would imagine the apps were written, mostly anyway, by a number of vendors -- anyone know who?

So, if the OS is without fault how is it that other makers using Windows Automotive, and also likely vendoring out the code writing job, were able to do this with vastly fewer problems?


Brian
raptor1956 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:52 AM   #1653
blackraven456
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88061
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

Posts: 967
FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SVTF303 View Post
New to MFT. I have my Galaxy Nexus set up with it, and everytime I try and stream music from it, MFT completely crashes. It auto plays every time and plays a random song. After a few minutes or attempt to get it to play something else, it crashes and restarts. Anyone else have this issue?
What version of mft are you using?
__________________
2012 Titanium Sedan, Ebony Black - 400A, Luxury Package
Ordered: July 14 VIN received: August 19 Sticker: Sept 3 Build Date: Sept 10 Delivered: Sept 21
blackraven456 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:56 AM   #1654
blackraven456
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88061
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium Sedan

Posts: 967
FF Reputation: 1 blackraven456 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bengal View Post
Yesterday I talked face-to-face with a Ford engineer & today I just had a lengthy telephone conversation with my regional service advisor who Ford assigned to my case several months ago when I first began having significant DCT & MFT v2.11 problems with my 2012 Focus. She said Ford is definitely working on another MFT update (v4?) to correct the v3 glitches & to restore some of the features lost in the v3 update. I told her about the outofmytouch.com & FF.com websites & she said that a ford tech group is aware of the problems & monitors the forums. She said she will communicate our conversation to that group & that she appreciated the feedback. I encourage others here to (constructively) communicate these issues to Ford reps/engineers if the opportunity is there.
Woohoo, actual acknowledgment. Something tells me mft is going to be handled like an xbox or zune - updates every spring and fall until mft2 comes out.
__________________
2012 Titanium Sedan, Ebony Black - 400A, Luxury Package
Ordered: July 14 VIN received: August 19 Sticker: Sept 3 Build Date: Sept 10 Delivered: Sept 21
blackraven456 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #1655
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96686
Location: Milford, NH
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium - TMB

Posts: 111
FF Reputation: 1 nhemti Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Apps and OS are not two separate things, the apps use the api's available from the OS and the OS should do a better job of containing the problem to the specific program area or task.

But, it is a fair point that there is more to the equation than the OS and that poorly written apps make things difficult.

And, while were on the subject of apps, who specifically wrote the apps? Was it a fully internal Ford project -- that would be highly unlikely. I would imagine the apps were written, mostly anyway, by a number of vendors -- anyone know who?

So, if the OS is without fault how is it that other makers using Windows Automotive, and also likely vendoring out the code writing job, were able to do this with vastly fewer problems?


Brian
I covered this earlier in the thread. Ford chose a company the did an awful job. That company could have further outsourced some of the code writing as well. (Think India.)

The company that wrote it was BSQUARE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
I don't have my Focus yet but I can understand both sides of the argument.

The real issue is this, Ford outsourced the initial design of MFT and those outsourced programmers screwed the pooch. Ford was forced to bring design in-house and essentially start from the ground up ripping out major portions of the MFT program and rebuilding them. This isn't an easy or short process.

I certainly don't think MFT v3 is the last update we will see on the Focus. Waiting for updated software sucks but Ford's options were limited. Either release an update that stabilizes MFT but may remove some functionality for the time being, or wait and have customers suffering for longer further damaging the MFT image in the media.

They made their decision and now we have to wait for the rest of the update since this one is obviously only half complete from what I have seen.

Ford is most certainly kicking themselves for outsourcing the initial design. I have a friend who runs his own IT consulting firm including software development. He outsourced a portion of an app recently and when the code came back he spent more time fixing it than he would have just writing it himself. This is what Ford is dealing with.


EDIT: I do wish they would be more open with us and tell us how things are going. Release dates are tough, but general information is reasonable to expect I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
They didn't start over, but they have to do a ground up repair.

Think of it like this....

Every feature is a file with some code in it. Now when Ford realize how poorly the code was in these files they had to fix it and they decided to do it in-house. Now I can only imagine with poor code came even worse code commenting.So now we have a Ford software engineer looking at crappy code with even worse comments explaining what the sections of code within each of these files does. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! In order to avoid redundancy functions are written once in most programs and then called upon when needed. So some issues may actually be caused by one of these other functions that is called up as needed. So now the Ford software engineer fixes the function. Well that fixed one feature but another feature relied on that broken piece to function, so now it is broken. And the cycle continues and our Ford software engineer is soon found either or , and most likely .

Would a from scratch rebuild be the best path? Probably. The fatest? No.

Mistakes were certainly made, not the least of them designing the UI in Flash Lite. (Bleh.) We will see improvements though, it'll just take time. I hope 2012 owners aren't forgotten about though.

Hey, Ford reps, care to chime in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
Look what I found...

Freescale i.MX51 SOC:
Core CPU: ARM Cortex A8 @ 600 mHz
2D/3D graphics controller
512MB RAM
2GB NAND flash memory

I wonder if this is the current iteration of hardware in the 2012s. If so that is just painful. Essentially 3 year old tech in a brand new vehicle. Shouldn't we be using Cortex A9 based stuff by now?

Tegra3 or OMAP5 is where Ford needs to look. I would even be willing to pay some money for an upgraded MFT hardware/software bundle in the future. Nothing astronomical mind you but $200-$300 would be reasonable. It would be akin to upgrading your smartphone every few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
The specs are only 256MB more memory than regular SYNC without MFT. The processor is more powerful, not sure exactly what is in SYNC but it is ARM-based running at 400MHz.

The current hardware is obviously a bit substandard considering my original Droid was equivalent 3 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
You'd think, except that they are using Flash Lite which is atrocious and uses "vector graphics." Vector graphics can also be known as "Need moar megahertz graphics." The old GPU attached to the Cortex A8s wasn't to great either.

http://cache.freescale.com/files/dsp...t/IMX51AEC.pdf

That is the data sheet for the processor used in MFT I believe. While the GPU is designed for 2D vector graphics, the performance isn't exactly stellar either.

Edit: This is where Ford is most certainly headed for future hardware improvements. http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...e=IMX6X_SERIES
nhemti is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #1656
raptor1956
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97725
Location: Taylorsville, UT
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Posts: 1,210
Points 3,932, Level 39
Points: 3,932, Level: 39 Points: 3,932, Level: 39 Points: 3,932, Level: 39
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yeah, I can imagine it made more sense to try to patch the current bad code, but sooner or later they'll need a clean sheet rebuild and that will take time...

MS OS's have never liked modest memory, storage and CPU power so the fact the the hardware Ford provided is as under-powered as it is does help...


Brian
raptor1956 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #1657
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict
 
BiggerBoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85913
Location: MAUMEE, OH
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

Posts: 712
FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bengal View Post
Yesterday I talked face-to-face with a Ford engineer & today I just had a lengthy telephone conversation with my regional service advisor who Ford assigned to my case several months ago when I first began having significant DCT & MFT v2.11 problems with my 2012 Focus. She said Ford is definitely working on another MFT update (v4?) to correct the v3 glitches & to restore some of the features lost in the v3 update. I told her about the outofmytouch.com & FF.com websites & she said that a ford tech group is aware of the problems & monitors the forums. She said she will communicate our conversation to that group & that she appreciated the feedback.
Great work. That is VERY encouraging news (assuming it turns out to be true.) I have no idea why they don't communicate info like that to the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bengal View Post
I encourage others here to (constructively) communicate these issues to Ford reps/engineers if the opportunity is there.
Yeah, every time I have called sync support, I get and engineer, not someone reading off a list of FAQs. Sorry to be a smart a$$, but most of us won't have the luck you did. Glad you made the best of it!
BiggerBoat is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #1658
Black Bengal
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95110
Location: Pearland, TX
What I Drive: '09 black SES & '12 tux black ti

Posts: 105
Points 251, Level 5
Points: 251, Level: 5 Points: 251, Level: 5 Points: 251, Level: 5
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 Black Bengal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[QUOTE] I have no idea why they don't communicate info like that to the masses. [QUOTE]

Yeah, I mentioned to the Ford service rep that we Focus owners would appreciate some sort of ongoing communication from Ford regarding any MFT update development. I told her that the lack of communication from Ford is really the basis for much of the frustration by the owners. I said we feel like we are not being heard.
Black Bengal is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #1659
CourtneyNYC
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 86057
Location: NYC, NY
What I Drive: 2010 - Sterling Gray&2012 White Ti

Posts: 168
FF Reputation: 1 CourtneyNYC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Interesting reading and I need to go back through the last month's posts and catch up on the MFT issues.

I installed my updated, as many of you did, the day it arrived and was hopeful it would resolve the issues.

It didn't.

I haven't logged or recorded the things the current version is doing but I've pretty much stopped using it or placing any faith in it. It restarts several times a day, sometimes connects to the iPhone, sometimes doesn't. It's a crap shoot at best.

The new display is lacking. Navigating through Sirius radio channels is far too complicated. I, and this is just personal preference, miss the "where am I" feature in the Nav. I have a Garmin on the dash and never use the Nav, it takes so much work simply to enter an address.

The Focus (I've put 21,000 miles on it in 6 months) has pretty well done what I bought it to do . . it's a fairly inexpensive economy car and it's been super cheap to operate. I was spending about $350 a week in gas, now I'm at about $45 . . the Focus has performed well as an economy car.

But the MFT is, on it's best day, a work in progress.

I hope Ford straightens it out.
__________________
2010 - Sterling Gray - SEL
2012 - Titanium - White Platinum Tri-Coat (SOLD 9-15-2012)
2013 - Escape Titanium - White Platinum (Delivered 9-15 )
CourtneyNYC is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #1660
csvt2060
Focus Addict
 
csvt2060's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84122
Location: Northwest Indiana, IN
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

Posts: 772
FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyNYC View Post
Interesting reading and I need to go back through the last month's posts and catch up on the MFT issues.

I installed my updated, as many of you did, the day it arrived and was hopeful it would resolve the issues.

It didn't.

I haven't logged or recorded the things the current version is doing but I've pretty much stopped using it or placing any faith in it. It restarts several times a day, sometimes connects to the iPhone, sometimes doesn't. It's a crap shoot at best.

The new display is lacking. Navigating through Sirius radio channels is far too complicated. I, and this is just personal preference, miss the "where am I" feature in the Nav. I have a Garmin on the dash and never use the Nav, it takes so much work simply to enter an address.

The Focus (I've put 21,000 miles on it in 6 months) has pretty well done what I bought it to do . . it's a fairly inexpensive economy car and it's been super cheap to operate. I was spending about $350 a week in gas, now I'm at about $45 . . the Focus has performed well as an economy car.

But the MFT is, on it's best day, a work in progress.

I hope Ford straightens it out.
Courtney--good feedback.. Hopefully you see fit to share your experience with Ford.
csvt2060 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.