My Ford Touch Thread - Page 156 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #1551
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Biggerboat,
I used my Garmin with my last two vehicles. Its a good system, but IMHO, the navigation sytem in the MFT is far superior in its visuals. Plus, the MFT system has the ability to download driving instructions from 'points' entered through Syncmyride and directions sent from GoogleMaps. I really like those features. Its so much better than having to use the awkward keyboard on the Garmin to enter addresses and such.

Overall though, I really like the GoogleMaps on my Android. I wish that Ford could enter into some kind of agreement with Google to use their system in their cars. GoogleMaps is very nice, and is updated regularly (unlike Garmin or most car-based Nav systems).

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #1552
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
.......snip...... My MFT definitely does not look like garbage. If that doesn't work, escalate the issues you have beyond the dealership. Squeeky wheel and all that. You shouldn't put up with the problems you describe since we all have a warranty (recently extended) on our systems.
I think you'll find many people think the new MFT looks very plain and incomplete by comparison to previous MFT and other touch screen systems.

Having massive next/pause/previous buttons, using giant bold letters for everything, and RDS info that uses only a tiny little block of the screen (compared with the Dodge/Chrysler version, which shows the complete RDS data at once). They even desaturated the colours from MFT2 to MFT3. We have 2 Foci, one still on 2 and one forced to upgrade to 3.

My point is that it's still slow to respond (albeit, feels faster than 2) compared to competitors products. That Chrysler one you can mash buttons all day and the delay is never more than 0.5 seconds til the next screen... usually it's there before you remove your finger.

Even if MFT doesn't crash, and setting aside its vast array of quirks and flaws... it's already quite inferior to many other touch systems out there. I'm glad you think it looks polished, but many disagree. Even the big grey empty space in the Sources area when you're on the second page of them... people comment on how it looks like it's only partially complete... like it's in design stage. Like they still have to add graphics, gradients, buttons, and effects.

And it wouldn't have killed them to make the accessibilty-sized fonts and buttons an option... like it is on computers, phones, etc.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #1553
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
Altis,

It's obvious that a lot of what we are discussing comes down to opinions. I don't think either of us are going to convince the other since neither of us are wrong. It's just personal preference.

I'm sorry you are so unhappy with the MFT system. Personally, I am still very excited about it. I've never had a car that can do as much as my Focus, especially at this price point (and that includes a Jaguar, Acura, GMC, Dodge and Mini Cooper).

Rich
Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #1554
estoyloco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85580
What I Drive: 2013 Dart Limited

FF Reputation: 1 estoyloco Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunka View Post
Looks like a Dodge Journey to me
Yep it is, my wife was in a market for a new crossover with 3rd row seating. After my fiasco with the Focus we decided to scratch all Ford cars off, didn't even bother with the Explorer since any featured model that we wanted came with the stupid MFT.

Now it's time to look for another car to buy instead of the Mustang. Good thing I still got 11 years until I pop money down for a sports car.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #1555
Altis
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
Altis,

It's obvious that a lot of what we are discussing comes down to opinions. I don't think either of us are going to convince the other since neither of us are wrong. It's just personal preference.

I'm sorry you are so unhappy with the MFT system. Personally, I am still very excited about it. I've never had a car that can do as much as my Focus, especially at this price point (and that includes a Jaguar, Acura, GMC, Dodge and Mini Cooper).

Rich
I don't mean to imply that you shouldn't like MFT. If yours works well and you like the looks and function, power to you!

It certainly is a feature-packed and well appointed car... my coworker traded a Lexus SUV for a Focus Titanium and loves the interior quality, design, and way it drives. It's in a class beyond.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #1556
boilersox
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96712
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 boilersox Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
I think you'll find many people think the new MFT looks very plain and incomplete by comparison to previous MFT and other touch screen systems.

Having massive next/pause/previous buttons, using giant bold letters for everything, and RDS info that uses only a tiny little block of the screen (compared with the Dodge/Chrysler version, which shows the complete RDS data at once). They even desaturated the colours from MFT2 to MFT3. We have 2 Foci, one still on 2 and one forced to upgrade to 3.

My point is that it's still slow to respond (albeit, feels faster than 2) compared to competitors products. That Chrysler one you can mash buttons all day and the delay is never more than 0.5 seconds til the next screen... usually it's there before you remove your finger.
While it definitely looks to be more responsive, I highly disagree on the UI. I don't understand what the fascination is with cluttering a screen with a whole bunch of "stuff." The old MFT was a cluster. It was. You may have been used to it, but sometimes change is good. I don't think they dumbed it down, I think they realized it was a mess and fixed it. You may have lost some things, but what you got was an incredibly more intuitive interface. Ask any UI expert, they will agree.

I think MFT's interface has this Chrysler interface beat easily. MFT is not "incomplete", it's simple, and simple is GOOD, especially in a freakin' car. If Ford got complaints that their system was too difficult to use, Chrysler is definitely going to be getting them. Would place a bet that Chrysler's will cause a lot more accidents, too.

For what it's worth, I'm so glad I didn't listen to a lot of the opinions in this thread, and went through with getting MFT. To those thinking about getting it, go for it, it's awesome. Sure, it has bugs, but software without bugs does not exist.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #1557
Altis
Focus Addict

"Software without bugs does not exist", sure. But MFT glitches on many of its functions on a daily basis. I've driven those Chrysler/Dodge vehicles for months now, and they have never once missed a beat, or even taken longer than 0.5 seconds to respond.

MFT wasn't a cluster#$% before, I don't think. MFT3 has tons of empty, unused screen space. It wouldn't be so bad to show the full RDS data in the huge empty space that is FM, would it? Or to show the phone's battery life in the yellow bar?

As for "UI experts", the closest I know are a couple recent Graphic Design and Computer Science grads. They don't see MFT3 as any sort of improvement, but rather a sneaky way to improve performance by getting rid of complex graphics. There's no excuse for the grey block on the Inputs panel that's empty when you scroll down to page 2 (which you now have to for BT Audio, because AM gets its own block). There's no reason for the incredibly huge pause/seek buttons in BT audio.

There's also no reason I can think of to reduce the vibrance of the colours. I can't fathom how that would have been an issue to anyone, so why make it appear more grey rather than colourful?

I'm not saying they should make it look as complex as the Chrysler system... which really isn't that difficult to use. But they made it way too simple, to the point where it still looks like a project, a work in progress. Too many blocks with no polish. Too much empty space. There's no point in having such a big screen if most of it is completely empty.

And again, why not make the handicap accessibility sized icons and fonts an option? (For those who bought something then decided it's too complicated). Everyone keeps trying to slam those who don't like the new MFT design, but we bought something and then it was changed on us. How about those people who bought it and complained to Ford that it's too complicated?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #1558
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96686
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium - TMB

FF Reputation: 1 nhemti Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
"Software without bugs does not exist", sure. But MFT glitches on many of its functions on a daily basis. I've driven those Chrysler/Dodge vehicles for months now, and they have never once missed a beat, or even taken longer than 0.5 seconds to respond.

MFT wasn't a cluster#$% before, I don't think. MFT3 has tons of empty, unused screen space. It wouldn't be so bad to show the full RDS data in the huge empty space that is FM, would it? Or to show the phone's battery life in the yellow bar?

As for "UI experts", the closest I know are a couple recent Graphic Design and Computer Science grads. They don't see MFT3 as any sort of improvement, but rather a sneaky way to improve performance by getting rid of complex graphics. There's no excuse for the grey block on the Inputs panel that's empty when you scroll down to page 2 (which you now have to for BT Audio, because AM gets its own block). There's no reason for the incredibly huge pause/seek buttons in BT audio.

There's also no reason I can think of to reduce the vibrance of the colours. I can't fathom how that would have been an issue to anyone, so why make it appear more grey rather than colourful?

I'm not saying they should make it look as complex as the Chrysler system... which really isn't that difficult to use. But they made it way too simple, to the point where it still looks like a project, a work in progress. Too many blocks with no polish. Too much empty space. There's no point in having such a big screen if most of it is completely empty.

And again, why not make the handicap accessibility sized icons and fonts an option? (For those who bought something then decided it's too complicated). Everyone keeps trying to slam those who don't like the new MFT design, but we bought something and then it was changed on us. How about those people who bought it and complained to Ford that it's too complicated?
I don't have my Focus yet but I can understand both sides of the argument.

The real issue is this, Ford outsourced the initial design of MFT and those outsourced programmers screwed the pooch. Ford was forced to bring design in-house and essentially start from the ground up ripping out major portions of the MFT program and rebuilding them. This isn't an easy or short process.

I certainly don't think MFT v3 is the last update we will see on the Focus. Waiting for updated software sucks but Ford's options were limited. Either release an update that stabilizes MFT but may remove some functionality for the time being, or wait and have customers suffering for longer further damaging the MFT image in the media.

They made their decision and now we have to wait for the rest of the update since this one is obviously only half complete from what I have seen.

Ford is most certainly kicking themselves for outsourcing the initial design. I have a friend who runs his own IT consulting firm including software development. He outsourced a portion of an app recently and when the code came back he spent more time fixing it than he would have just writing it himself. This is what Ford is dealing with.

EDIT: I do wish they would be more open with us and tell us how things are going. Release dates are tough, but general information is reasonable to expect I think.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #1559
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
I don't have my Focus yet but I can understand both sides of the argument.

The real issue is this, Ford outsourced the initial design of MFT and those outsourced programmers screwed the pooch. Ford was forced to bring design in-house and essentially start from the ground up ripping out major portions of the MFT program and rebuilding them. This isn't an easy or short process.

That's the thing, I don't think they started from the ground up again like they were telling us. It still exibits alot of the inherant issues of the previous version, the clock still can't keep time is one of the biggest clues.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #1560
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96686
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium - TMB

FF Reputation: 1 nhemti Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
That's the thing, I don't think they started from the ground up again like they were telling us. It still exibits alot of the inherant issues of the previous version, the clock still can't keep time is one of the biggest clues.
They didn't start over, but they have to do a ground up repair.

Think of it like this....

Every feature is a file with some code in it. Now when Ford realize how poorly the code was in these files they had to fix it and they decided to do it in-house. Now I can only imagine with poor code came even worse code commenting.So now we have a Ford software engineer looking at crappy code with even worse comments explaining what the sections of code within each of these files does. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! In order to avoid redundancy functions are written once in most programs and then called upon when needed. So some issues may actually be caused by one of these other functions that is called up as needed. So now the Ford software engineer fixes the function. Well that fixed one feature but another feature relied on that broken piece to function, so now it is broken. And the cycle continues and our Ford software engineer is soon found either or , and most likely .

Would a from scratch rebuild be the best path? Probably. The fatest? No.

Mistakes were certainly made, not the least of them designing the UI in Flash Lite. (Bleh.) We will see improvements though, it'll just take time. I hope 2012 owners aren't forgotten about though.

Hey, Ford reps, care to chime in?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->