My Ford Touch Thread - Page 126 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #1251
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
I do this with my 2.11 system, and although its not trouble free, it's very much better than what others are experiencing. I just always assumed it made sense to give the system a reasonable amount of time to "start up" and also properly shut it down before "pulling the power cord". Like you said, this probably shouldn't be necessary, but the core system is by Microsoft, and they do specialize in computers, so to me it makes sense to do this.
My thoughts exactly. It IS a computer, an interface running on top of Windows Auto. If it eliminated the issues, I'd rather see a "Starting Windows" screen while everything starts up just so that when it got to the home screen everything was good to go.

But like I said and you confirmed with 2.11 even, giving the system time to start and shutting off the audio before turning the car off makes sense. It's not as if it's hard to press the power button when you get back in, and it will default to the last input you were using when you hit power anyway, so honestly getting into the habit could be very beneficial to the people who say the system has all these bugs and issues when in all honesty they may just be the system being overloaded all at once when it's trying to boot up and detect everything, and not necessarily bugs or glitches.

Take your computer for example... on Windows if you start double clicking icons and trying to open things when the system is still starting up upon login... it doesn't do anything, and when it finally does respond, it's all at once and sometimes that can lead to some negative effects, use that same logic with MFT and voila. Should be pretty common practice to give it a minute to get booted up, and even shut things down before shutting off the car.
Sonic Crew #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #1252
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
My thoughts exactly. It IS a computer, an interface running on top of Windows Auto. If it eliminated the issues, I'd rather see a "Starting Windows" screen while everything starts up just so that when it got to the home screen everything was good to go.

But like I said and you confirmed with 2.11 even, giving the system time to start and shutting off the audio before turning the car off makes sense. It's not as if it's hard to press the power button when you get back in, and it will default to the last input you were using when you hit power anyway, so honestly getting into the habit could be very beneficial to the people who say the system has all these bugs and issues when in all honesty they may just be the system being overloaded all at once when it's trying to boot up and detect everything, and not necessarily bugs or glitches.

Take your computer for example... on Windows if you start double clicking icons and trying to open things when the system is still starting up upon login... it doesn't do anything, and when it finally does respond, it's all at once and sometimes that can lead to some negative effects, use that same logic with MFT and voila. Should be pretty common practice to give it a minute to get booted up, and even shut things down before shutting off the car.
I very much appreciate the tips and will look to implement this behavior in hopes of smoother results. But, to say non-responsive or erratic behavior is "not necessarily bug or glitches" is not really correct. You just said yourself a "starting MFT" should really display if it is not ready to roll. Any system that easily lets you enter into the danger zone (without warning) needs improvement.

When Windows is overloaded, it displays the hour-glass (or now the spinning circle) to tell the user "chill out, I can't take any new instructions right now." Why doesn't MFT do this? Also, when I try to blast ahead while using Windows, I don't get display problems (such as not displaying the radio station frequency). It just won't respond to my clicks until its ready.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #1253
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
This system seems to disconnect and reconnect your devices between shut down and start up, which would be the reason why getting into the car after leaving the radio on will default to AM/FM. So, turning off the radio before getting out of the car should become a habit. Shouldn't have to be one, but I've noticed it helps.

Getting in and letting everything get detected before turning the radio back on by hitting power or the touchscreen quadrant has given me great results. No restarting song lists, no weird highlights, and no glitches of any other kind. It will find my iPod (unless you re-index it) and start where you left off, and everything was grand.

Also have been using my iPhone 4S with Pandora for Bluetooth off and on to see if I'm getting any issues like others, but none here so far. Everything has been a-okay.

Just takes treating the system like what it is, a computer, for it to play nice. Turn everything off before shutting down, and give it a minute to boot up and find everything when starting up. I honestly feel like this could be a big reason for some of the bugs that have been popping up and making a habit out of what I outlined above should help.
Yawn....more excuses and workarounds on a sub-par system. People don't want and shouldn't have to treat technology in a car like an old 486 computer. Wait...maybe it is a 486 processor in the APIM.

It's not acceptable for people to worry about remembering to turn off the radio (or wait to turn on the heated seats on startup in the Ford Edge or Explorer) just to workaround the limitations of the system that shouldn't be there in an automotive setting in the first place.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #1254
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
I ran into this last weekend and wondered why does this thing all of the sudden sounded like a jet engine. In my case, it turned out, the passenger door was not fully shut. Air blows from the dash through an opening into the door with a seal. (I think its used to get air to the back seat or mirror??) Without the proper seal it was whistling like a turbine. In any case, I re-shut the door fully, noise gone. I thought I had a shredded fan motor bearing or something. I hope your issue was also a door issue??
Actually, I think it was this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroStorm View Post
This is going to sound funny, but I had the same issue. I learned one of my vents was just about closed and it made a crazy turbine noise. I thought "WTH?!" For me it was my passenger vent WAY over by the door. I never would have figured it was almost closed as it looked open to me.
Yup, I did play around with the vent adjustments the other day (since it's been winter and, being on auto, I really haven't had to adjust anything as all the heat comes out of the floor vents... and now that it's warmed up I finally had to mess with the dash vents) and I bet that was the solution. At least one was mostly closed and I opened them all up. No more whistling.

But yeah, if you're an aviation nut like me... close your vents, crank the fan to the highest setting, and crank up Danger Zone on the stereo!

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #1255
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
I don't know about anyone else but I leave my Macs on all the time (they go to sleep.. using very little power). I never shut them down. Whenever I need to use it, I open the lid (or move the mouse) and it's instantly on and ready to work.

MFT should act the same way.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #1256
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
I don't know about anyone else but I leave my Macs on all the time (they go to sleep.. using very little power). I never shut them down. Whenever I need to use it, I open the lid (or move the mouse) and it's instantly on and ready to work.

MFT should act the same way.
I leave my MacBook on a lot as well, but it's still good to give ANY computer a proper shut down and start up once in a while. The fact is, MFT can't stay on when you shut the car off, or you'd be draining the battery. So no, MFT should NOT work this way, or we'd be buying new batteries left and right.

This is Windows, not Mac. My MacBook even on startup takes less time to get everything going than my Windows desktop, but it still needs a few seconds to load everything.

So sure if MFT was a computer we left plugged in all the time or it had it's own battery to stay in sleep mode overnight, it would be one thing to expect it to wake up immediately upon car start, but since it's in a car, and runs on the car battery then no, I don't agree that it should start back up immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Yawn....more excuses and workarounds on a sub-par system. People don't want and shouldn't have to treat technology in a car like an old 486 computer. Wait...maybe it is a 486 processor in the APIM.

It's not acceptable for people to worry about remembering to turn off the radio (or wait to turn on the heated seats on startup in the Ford Edge or Explorer) just to workaround the limitations of the system that shouldn't be there in an automotive setting in the first place.
And one more person who seems to prove the point that Ford marketed to customers who don't know how to use technology. No offense, but it's not a sub-par system, it works far better and has more features than any car radio I've seen short of luxury cars with premium audio systems.

Fact is, maybe we shouldn't have to worry about leaving the radio on, and we don't. The radio will stay on and default to the first source when getting back into the car. This is because the car has to TAKE A MINUTE to detect your devices. Maybe it shouldn't and maybe they should be detected before anything starts playing, but that's not how it works with the new system.

Maybe what I do is use workarounds to get around issues many people are having, but at the end of the day if my system stops having issues because I can handle the simple action of turning my radio off when getting out and back on when getting in, and I can give my car a minute to boot MFT up and detect everything, then you damn well better believe I'm going to do that every time so I can stop bitching like you and everyone else who thinks the system sucks because they don't know to treat it like the computer it is.

After developing these habits, my system has been awesome. No issues, no glitches, the only bug that still remains is the glitch when picking music and using the A-F tab at the top it doesn't go past B, just A-B-A, the others work fine though. THAT is a bug, aside from that, like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm gonna attribute a lot of issues to user-error for people who are too impatient to give their system time to start up properly and too lazy to shut it down properly.

Let the flaming begin, but like I said, at the end of the day my system works because of how I treat it, and maybe if you started treating yours the same way, it would work for you too.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #1257
me2000
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85106
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 me2000 Good Standing Member
Quote:
I leave my MacBook on a lot as well, but it's still good to give ANY computer a proper shut down and start up once in a while. The fact is, MFT can't stay on when you shut the car off, or you'd be draining the battery. So no, MFT should NOT work this way, or we'd be buying new batteries left and right.

This is Windows, not Mac. My MacBook even on startup takes less time to get everything going than my Windows desktop, but it still needs a few seconds to load everything.

So sure if MFT was a computer we left plugged in all the time or it had it's own battery to stay in sleep mode overnight, it would be one thing to expect it to wake up immediately upon car start, but since it's in a car, and runs on the car battery then no, I don't agree that it should start back up immediately.
I'm saying the instant-on should be standard for MFT. It can go into a hibernation mode and use zero power and be able to wake up instantly without any lag.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #1258
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my USB and Nav card in the mail. But this weekend, I had a weird thing happen. My system froze for a few minutes while using Nav and trying to find a nearby Costco. When it re-booted, the Sync screen came up. Once it finished, I had more detail in the AM/FM buttons on both the Entertainment Screen and on the Home Screen. It now provides the call letters of the station (which it did before) but also shows whether the station is an HD station by a little HD next to the name.

Its like I got an OTA update, but for the old MFT system. Seems weird they would be updating the old system while we are in the process of upgrading to MFT 3.0. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #1259
GreyFox
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95457
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 GreyFox Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my USB and Nav card in the mail. But this weekend, I had a weird thing happen. My system froze for a few minutes while using Nav and trying to find a nearby Costco. When it re-booted, the Sync screen came up. Once it finished, I had more detail in the AM/FM buttons on both the Entertainment Screen and on the Home Screen. It now provides the call letters of the station (which it did before) but also shows whether the station is an HD station by a little HD next to the name.

Its like I got an OTA update, but for the old MFT system. Seems weird they would be updating the old system while we are in the process of upgrading to MFT 3.0. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Rich
Hi Rich, when did you get your car? If it was fairly recent you may be in the same boat as I am, which is that you won't get the update, but have to go in to the dealer to have it done.

Ford says they sent letters instead of updates to those customers, but I haven't received either, and had to figure out the situation for myself by collecting info on these forums, calling Ford and my dealer. It took multiple calls because my dealer was not aware that they could order SD cards for customers that had recently purchased, and I actually had to have someone from Ford conference in with a service adviser at the dealer to explain what they needed to do.

If you don't have NAV, then you can just download it of course. You can find out if your car is 'flagged' and requiring the dealer to upgrade you by entering your VIN on the Vehicle tab of http://www.etis.ford.com. If you have a FSA of 11A02, then you need to call your dealer.

Just some FYI in case it applies to you or anyone else who got their car recently.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #1260
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyFox View Post
Hi Rich, when did you get your car? If it was fairly recent you may be in the same boat as I am, which is that you won't get the update, but have to go in to the dealer to have it done.

Ford says they sent letters instead of updates to those customers, but I haven't received either, and had to figure out the situation for myself by collecting info on these forums, calling Ford and my dealer. It took multiple calls because my dealer was not aware that they could order SD cards for customers that had recently purchased, and I actually had to have someone from Ford conference in with a service adviser at the dealer to explain what they needed to do.

If you don't have NAV, then you can just download it of course. You can find out if your car is 'flagged' and requiring the dealer to upgrade you by entering your VIN on the Vehicle tab of http://www.etis.ford.com. If you have a FSA of 11A02, then you need to call your dealer.

Just some FYI in case it applies to you or anyone else who got their car recently.
Thanks for this info. I bought my car (with Nav) 1 month ago. I signed in with my VIN and do have the 11A02 code for my Sync with MFT Performance Upgrade. (also have 12M01 - RRanty Extension. Whatever that means). Spoke with a service advisor at my dealer, but he just kept saying to wait for the USB and SD card in the mail. I not sure he got what I was talking about even though I read your post to him. He said they have not been able to get any SD cards for the Nav upgrades from Ford since they are backlogged.

You mentioned a letter, but also said you never got that either. This is getting frustrating. I don't mind waiting for the mailed stick and card, but if its not coming......

Rich

Bookmarks & Social Networks