My Ford Touch Thread - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #111
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And the backlash (sort of)....does reaffirm things like Sync and Onstar would be OK....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397621,00.asp
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #112
pil__
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90074
What I Drive: 2012 Red Ford Focus Titanium

Points 382, Level 7
Points: 382, Level: 7 Points: 382, Level: 7 Points: 382, Level: 7
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 pil__ Good Standing Member
Hopefully this will help some folks out there. The first time I tried this, it didn't work, but it was just because I am too impatient.

If your MFT is in a bad state (which for me is every few days, if I'm lucky), you can reboot it without a fuse pull or master reset, etc. There was a sirius update patch posted on the Sync Users Forums a while back and then someone hacked it up to only do a reboot.

You can download DelayedReboot.cab here:
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.p...cing-a-reboot/

To get this to work:
1. Download files onto USB thumb drive
2. Turn on the car and wait for MFT to load. I waited until nav loaded and it responded to my touch in less than 30 seconds to be safe.
3. Insert USB drive. The software load screen should show up automatically. You might have to manually press the install app button. I did it twice and the behavior was inconsistent.
4. Once it says Install Complete, hit OK.
5. Turn off vehicle, open and close door
6. Wait 1 minute for the touchscreen to turn off. I waited until it went black and then I got a random blip like 20 seconds later.
7. Turn the car back on. You should see MFT performing scheduled maintenance.
8. If it didn't reboot, you probably didn't wait long enough in step 6.

There is an immediate reboot version of this, but it is VIN-locked and Ford denies it exists. If anyone has the 2.11 update files they could send me, I'd be interested in looking at them to see we can extract a reboot routine out of it...

UPDATE:
I decided to kill some time looking at this installer. I took DelayedReboot.cab and pulled the executable out of it to take a look. Unfortunately, Windows Automotive doesn't seem to have great documentation on it, so I didn't get too far. However, I found that the executable is unfortunately digitally signed. I removed the authenticode signature, repackaged the cab (I can't believe how unnecessarily difficult that was) and put it back on the USB stick. Went out to my car and when I plugged it in I got an error saying the file was invalid or unsigned. So, that means we can't run our own arbitrary code on the MFT without having the private signing certificate :(

But, the amusing part of all this is that it is signed by 'Microsoft Test Software Publish Certificate' of organization 'ABU' (Automotive Business Unit?). So, my guess is that this certificate comes with the development environment, no one bothered to change it. If someone had access to the windows automotive 5.5 platform builder, I'd be willing to bet it comes with this cert in it. It's not freely available online, though, and I'm not even sure exactly what it's called...

Remind me to never to outsource firmware development to Bsquare btw...

Last edited by pil__; 12-15-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #113
mrwhistles
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90684
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 mrwhistles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pil__ View Post
Hopefully this will help some folks out there. The first time I tried this, it didn't work, but it was just because I am too impatient.

If your MFT is in a bad state (which for me is every few days, if I'm lucky), you can reboot it without a fuse pull or master reset, etc. There was a sirius update patch posted on the Sync Users Forums a while back and then someone hacked it up to only do a reboot.

You can download DelayedReboot.cab here:
http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.p...cing-a-reboot/

To get this to work:
1. Download files onto USB thumb drive
2. Turn on the car and wait for MFT to load. I waited until nav loaded and it responded to my touch in less than 30 seconds to be safe.
3. Insert USB drive. The software load screen should show up automatically. You might have to manually press the install app button. I did it twice and the behavior was inconsistent.
4. Once it says Install Complete, hit OK.
5. Turn off vehicle, open and close door
6. Wait 1 minute for the touchscreen to turn off. I waited until it went black and then I got a random blip like 20 seconds later.
7. Turn the car back on. You should see MFT performing scheduled maintenance.
8. If it didn't reboot, you probably didn't wait long enough in step 6.

There is an immediate reboot version of this, but it is VIN-locked and Ford denies it exists. If anyone has the 2.11 update files they could send me, I'd be interested in looking at them to see we can extract a reboot routine out of it...

UPDATE:
I decided to kill some time looking at this installer. I took DelayedReboot.cab and pulled the executable out of it to take a look. Unfortunately, Windows Automotive doesn't seem to have great documentation on it, so I didn't get too far. However, I found that the executable is unfortunately digitally signed. I removed the authenticode signature, repackaged the cab (I can't believe how unnecessarily difficult that was) and put it back on the USB stick. Went out to my car and when I plugged it in I got an error saying the file was invalid or unsigned. So, that means we can't run our own arbitrary code on the MFT without having the private signing certificate :(

But, the amusing part of all this is that it is signed by 'Microsoft Test Software Publish Certificate' of organization 'ABU' (Automotive Business Unit?). So, my guess is that this certificate comes with the development environment, no one bothered to change it. If someone had access to the windows automotive 5.5 platform builder, I'd be willing to bet it comes with this cert in it. It's not freely available online, though, and I'm not even sure exactly what it's called...

Remind me to never to outsource firmware development to Bsquare btw...
While what you are saying may be true, I'd be more inclined to think that the dev kit comes with a CA certificate which allows you to create your own unique certificates.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:44 PM   #114
jcornwall
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88283
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti YB Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jcornwall Good Standing Member
Hooked up my Galaxy Nexus over Bluetooth and it streams good quality music (driven by the phone's music app) just great.

MFT did have a little hissy fit in the Frys car park, when it took some time detecting the phone. I hit cancel, it instantly said it had detected the phone, then went into "scheduled maintenance" (aka Windows oopsied) mode. Haven't run into that since, seems to pair automatically when I get in the car.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #115
pil__
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90074
What I Drive: 2012 Red Ford Focus Titanium

Points 382, Level 7
Points: 382, Level: 7 Points: 382, Level: 7 Points: 382, Level: 7
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 pil__ Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwhistles View Post
While what you are saying may be true, I'd be more inclined to think that the dev kit comes with a CA certificate which allows you to create your own unique certificates.
In which case the cert would have the information you filled in, rather than 'Microsoft Test Software Publish Certificate'. That's not the CA, that's the actual signature on the executable.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #116
mrwhistles
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pil__ View Post
In which case the cert would have the information you filled in, rather than 'Microsoft Test Software Publish Certificate'. That's not the CA, that's the actual signature on the executable.
I understand that the certificate that the executable is signed by is not a CA itself but also consider that 'Microsoft Test Software Publish Certificate' may just be some default value that is auto populated when a certificate is generated or maybe they cheaped out are using a self signed certificate of some sort. Google seems to suggest that a "Test Software Publisher Certificate" is just a way to test signing cabs.

Or the SDK comes with a generic certificate like you suggest and tests the very same thing but in a MUCH less secure way. Hah.

And you are also right that this question is answered when someone gets a hold of the SDK for whatever platform myford touch runs on.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #117
mrwhistles
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornwall View Post
Hooked up my Galaxy Nexus over Bluetooth and it streams good quality music (driven by the phone's music app) just great.

MFT did have a little hissy fit in the Frys car park, when it took some time detecting the phone. I hit cancel, it instantly said it had detected the phone, then went into "scheduled maintenance" (aka Windows oopsied) mode. Haven't run into that since, seems to pair automatically when I get in the car.
I like how you mention Fry's like everyone should know what you are talking. I love going there. I was so bummed to know a place like Fry's existed and I had no idea before I moved to Austin. People from out of town are always so amazed by that place.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #118
jcornwall
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88283
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti YB Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jcornwall Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwhistles View Post
I like how you mention Fry's like everyone should know what you are talking. I love going there. I was so bummed to know a place like Fry's existed and I had no idea before I moved to Austin. People from out of town are always so amazed by that place.
I think I've seen your car.

Found someone's yellow HB 2012 Focus when I went up there a while ago. No space to park next to it, sadly.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #119
drex83
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92981
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 1 drex83 Good Standing Member
I've had my 2012 Titanium for 60 days today and of course have had some issues with the MFT. The latest and greatest being that my audio only has 2 volumes right now...max volume or minimum volume. If i push the vulme button up once on the steering wheel it goes to max...if i hit it down once it goes to min. If i try to use the knob on the dash it turns up then goes right back down.

The day before I has the time lock issue where the time didn't update when i turned the car on and a couple of times i've had issues with it recognizing my phone. Once it wouldn't come on at all then when it did, it went through a system update.

I'm mostly annoyed with the radio issue right now...can't get into the dealer until Friday...my bf just gave me the master reset instructions...guess i will try that for now as i really miss my radio.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #120
JessicaTi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89253
What I Drive: 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 4 JessicaTi Good Standing Member
Hi Drex,

If the Master Reset doesn't work, try pulling the fuse.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.