throttle body problems - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #41
dabeaver4789
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111424
What I Drive: 2010 Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 dabeaver4789 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm new to the forum. I've been having tons of issues with my throttle body, at about 38k miles the throttle plate would stick closed and almost cause the car to stall out, fixed that with a little carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Now at 49k i had the wrench issue with limp home mode. and like everyone else taking it in thinking it would be covered under powertrain, they also quoted me almost $600. So I checked ebay and bought one for $202. I will let you all know how the fix goes next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #42
grntrdbx
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99094
What I Drive: 2010,black,SES

FF Reputation: 1 grntrdbx Good Standing Member
Throttle Body issues

This may have just been a fluke (sorry I haven't replied for a while), but after I was having limp mode issues, one day on the way to work I hit a deer and had my 2010 Focus in the shop for about a week and a half. When I got it back I didn't have any throttle body issues. I asked the repair shop (a Dodge dealership in the area) what else they had done other than the sheet metal replacement and alignments. The manager said that they had done nothing else, no electrical component replacement etc. This accident happened after a heated argument with a local Ford dealership service manager that wanted to charge me over $700 to replace the original throttle body. In my case, maybe the battery being disconnected for a period of time did the trick and, I'm guessing, the thing retaught itself when it was powered up again. Hope this helps someone.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #43
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by grntrdbx View Post
This may have just been a fluke (sorry I haven't replied for a while), but after I was having limp mode issues, one day on the way to work I hit a deer and had my 2010 Focus in the shop for about a week and a half. When I got it back I didn't have any throttle body issues...
Thanks for the update, grntrdbx. I'm glad to hear that you're safe after your accident! If you need any assistance in the future, don't hesitate to let me know.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #44
dckotwicki
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 50924
What I Drive: 2010 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 dckotwicki Good Standing Member
Did I gett screwed?

I just had the throttle body replaced at my local Ford dealer.
Problem: Hesitation / Surging. Most notable at freeway speeds.
Mileage: 58,500
Cost to me: $550
I was told that the throttle body is electronic and is not covered.
(Once I saw the thing installed, I thought... I probably could have done it)

I am the original owner (if that matters)

Anyone think this should be a warranty item?

(With the overall service I have received from this dealership, I would love to go after them)
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #45
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,107, Level 34
Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34 Points: 3,107, Level: 34
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 24%
Activity: 24% Activity: 24% Activity: 24%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dckotwicki View Post
I just had the throttle body replaced at my local Ford dealer.
Problem: Hesitation / Surging. Most notable at freeway speeds.
Mileage: 58,500
Cost to me: $550
I was told that the throttle body is electronic and is not covered.
(Once I saw the thing installed, I thought... I probably could have done it)

I am the original owner (if that matters)

Anyone think this should be a warranty item?

(With the overall service I have received from this dealership, I would love to go after them)

Hi dckotwicki,

Your dealership is in the best position to determine whether or not a repair can be made under warranty. I can, however, bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager to see if they can assist. Send me a PM with your information and I'll get the ball rolling. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #46
rj.sandwitch
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114060
What I Drive: 2008 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 rj.sandwitch Good Standing Member
Hey everyone, I have a 08 focus with 71,000 km and am having issues with the throttle, when I drive down the road or when I come out of a turn to accelerate I lose all throttle and the wrench light comes on. Shutting the car off and restarting it clears the issue but it is happening once a day!

So first thing I did I went to my mechanic and the codes came up and he could not replace what was needed. I went to the ford dealer and they replaced the accelerator pedal assembly and told me if this doesn't fix it then we would replace the throttle body. It did not work. Next, I did my research found this site and tried the battery disconnect, got a throttle body of a wrecked focus which had around 30,000 km and installed with ease. The next day the wrench light comes on again!!

So I have a new accelerator pedal assembly and a newer throttle body in my focus.
Do I need a brand new throttle body? Is it the wiring loom which connects the throttle body to the rest of the car?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #47
erikgrad
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 68137
What I Drive: 2009 "White Suede" Focus S

FF Reputation: 1 erikgrad Good Standing Member
I have had the same problem with my 2009 Focus throttle body. My powertrain warranty won't come into play, as I am at 61,xxx miles now. I am not having it worked on at the dealer, but instead ordering the part and replacing myself. I plan to file an NHTSA complaint (which all of you should do as well); my two-year-old daughter was in the car when it crapped out, and almost caused an accident, so I'm very irritated. If this is as prevalent as the abundance of anecdotal evidence suggests, I am surprised there hasn't been a recall. This i almost as unsafe as 'unintended acceleration' considering the failure rate this appears to be happening. I am not happy about shelling out the money, fully knowing this could happen again one day because the component is inferior, and put me in a dangerous position on the freeway. I will be making an effort to compile the NHTSA complaints and many forum posts into one blog over the next couple weeks, post a link here and send a copy to the NHTSA with a request for an answer.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #48
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristobal313 View Post
I wouldn't pay anything over 200. The part itself cost 160 from Tousley Ford and it takes 10 minutes to replace
Is there a how to guide for this replacement? I had one replaced under warranty for the throttle surging issue (two weeks before the warranty was up). I have a feeling I'm going to be replacing this again on my own at some point.

There's got to be a way to safely clean these things.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #49
d.fraser
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118563
What I Drive: 2010 Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 d.fraser Good Standing Member
What a BS company.
My throttle body is broken and I talked to Ford Canada earlier.
They won't do anything for me.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #50
d.fraser
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118563
What I Drive: 2010 Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 d.fraser Good Standing Member
Because I am outside the waranty.

Bookmarks & Social Networks