Any Successful AWD Swaps Out There? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Kickerbeast
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87814
What I Drive: FrankenFocus AWD In Progress

FF Reputation: 1 Kickerbeast Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I like the ZX3 better, but I need something I can put the kids in the back of easier. If I can't find a ZX5 or if I come across a ZX3 for under a grand then I'll probably pick it up. My goal is to sell off the parts I don't need and have around $500 tops into the shell. If I can get that I will be happy with the start.

By the way, I like the sig. You a Ramsey fan?

Last edited by Kickerbeast; 10-19-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Tada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
NX_Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13160
What I Drive: 07ZX3,hayabusa& gsxr,3stangs,98rngr

FF Reputation: 2 NX_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerbeast View Post

By the way, I like the sig. You a Ramsey fan?
i had that saying on my rear window of my drag car back in 1992. it jst came to me one night. also had one that said " speed kills, drive a chevy live forever " but dave is a good man & tells it right.
I don't need.
To impress people,
I don't know.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #13
KUEHN8898
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68858
What I Drive: 05 Dark Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 KUEHN8898 Good Standing Member
Hope you get it done. itll be sweet. i wanna do one i have the experience to do something like that but i dont have time nor money right now and "too many other projects" says the wife haha
05 Focus ZX4 Duratec
06 Ford Fivehundred limited
Old 10-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #14
Kickerbeast
Focus Enthusiast

I'm on the path...just need to find a shell...and convince the wife it's a good idea...
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
The Boss
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91111
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 The Boss Good Standing Member
@ kicker:

Hey, I've got a cnc plasma cutter down here in Farmland, so any mounting brackets that are needed will not be a problem. I've got welders, torches, powder coat, yadda yadda. (just opened a fab shop) I'm also driving a ZX5 thats' trans feels like it will drop out any f%&king day now.

Any interest in a joint project, or just want it to be all yours? What are you looking at spending on a shell, if you want to do it alone?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #16
Kickerbeast
Focus Enthusiast

The Boss:

I like the thinking but I'm not 100% of the timeline on this. I am going to cashflow the project so if the cash slows down, then the project will be slowing down. I'm planning on it being a longer term project. I like the idea of having a hand, but I don't want to tie anyone else down on my timeframe. Although, knowing you have the tools, when I am able to do it I will definately get ahold of you. As for as a shell, my goal would be to find one for around $500-$1000 depending on the shape of the body and interior. Obviously I don't care about the drivetrain/PCM/trans parts/ECT. I would pay more if there were enough valuable parts to sell and get the cost down. Until I get to dig into the wiring, I'm not sure what all I'll be able to sell. I suspect the Airbag modules won't work, but I need to dig in and see if the Airbag module gets the speed signal from the ABS or PCM. Just one of the small wiring tasks I've been thinking about. Would be nice to keep the ABS too, but not sure if that will be possible yet. Just need to see what I will get into. I'm hoping to be able to buy the shell in the spring and get it stripped and functioning next summer while I source out the drivetrain.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #17
slow focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60991
What I Drive: 02,black,svt/02 subaru wrx hybrid

FF Reputation: 1 slow focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Kicker-I thought about this as well. When it came down to total expense it just made sense to buy a whole evo and just drive that or a subaru sti. I wish the best to your build, but like everyone says people have been talking about it for along time on here but realized the cost and just moved on to something different.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Kickerbeast
Focus Enthusiast

I'm not quite sure I agree with the costs thing. If you are going to use an Evo drivetrain, then yes, it will cost about the same by the time you find all the good parts. This is my overall breakdown so far for my plan

Shell - $500-$1000
Drivetrain - $400-$500
Wiring and ECU - $200-$300
DSMLink - $400
Kugel Komponents 8.8 Bolt in kit $1200
8.8 Diff $100
Driveshaft $400-$500
Engine Mount Brackets - $200
Misc hoses and general stuff - $400

I'm sure there is stuff that I'm missing, but that puts the cost at $3800-$4600
Bump some Evo injectors and an Evo III turbo and you should be able to put 300HP/TQ at the wheel. So you now have a $5000 11 second Focus. I compared the weight and the focus is only about 200 lbs over the 1G DSM and I know that setup will hit mid 11 seconds

Take that 1 step further and build the 2.0 to a 2.3
Stroker pistons and rods $750-$1000 new $500 used
2.4 Crank $150
20G TD05 Turbo $300-$500
Injectors $200
Walbro 255 $50
Clutch and Trans Improvements $600
Solid Tune - $300

Upgrade cost
$2100 - $2800

Estimated total cost
$6600 - $7400

$7400 and now you have roughly a 10 second Focus. I love Evos and STIs, but there is no way I'll find a stock one for $5000 nor a 10 second one for $7400. Now again, this is initial costs. I'm sure I would get into more, but I would have to spend twice as much to get an Evo and 3 times as much for an STI. Plus there is that one off feeling and saying "Yeah, I did that." Not to mention blowing the doors off some unsuspecting muscle cars.

My biggest struggle right now is I'm not sure what the front suspension will need for mounting. I won't know that until I get my hands on an actual shell. I want to use the factory DSM knuckles so I don't have to source out weird wheel bearings. I am thinking I might have to do some searching to get ball joints that will match the Focus control arm and the DSM knuckle. Might need to have a shop bore out the knuckle just a little so the joint will fit, but again, I need to get my hands on a car first.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
02fordsvt
Meh.

Fan#: 84654
What I Drive: 2002 SVT, 2001 SE (Rusty)

FF Reputation: 49 02fordsvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Those numbers are all fine and good, but when you actually start digging in, you'll probably find many hidden and unplanned for costs. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything but with any major project like that, there are bound to be problems and added expenses. Furthermore, this is just the dollar value, it will take a lot of labor to get something like this done so you can't really compare this project car with going out and buying a Evo or Sti.

But as you said, owning a one of a kind car is priceless.
Hatch Nation #13 : Rally Revolution #13 : ROTM Jan '13
It's Bryan, not Brian
RSVT-170 Build in Progress
Derusting Rusty Build in Progress
Old 10-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #20
Kickerbeast
Focus Enthusiast

I see your point and I know there will be more involved in it than just this. Fortunately I was a Ford tech for 8 years so I know my way around a wrench. I'm not planning on paying anyone to do anything other than cutting some parts for me. I'm doing everything else so my labor is free. I'm sure at a standard shop rate of $85 an hour you would end up with $3000 in labor. For me there is a huge pleasure in doing the work. I sit at a desk all day now and I really need something to keep my busy at night after the kids go to bed. Plus I figure if I'm going to sit around for 4 years and save money to go buy a WRX, then I might as well build a faster Focus (which I've always had a soft spot for) for the same cash and kill two birds with one stone.

I like the discussion. Keeps me thinking about this project. I won't be able to buy a shell for a few months so I need to keep my brain going on it. I really am taking the time to try and think of all the angles and problems that might come up. I don't want too much to sneak up on me. I might get into it and find out the the engine won't even fit in the car, so who knows. Until I get a shell, it is really all just theories.

Bookmarks & Social Networks