6 spd to 5 spd - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Engine & Transmission Swap

Engine & Transmission Swap The place to chat about any engine and transmission swap.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
djohn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83702
What I Drive: 03 pitch black svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 djohn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
6 spd to 5 spd

Hello to all. I have an 03 SVT as a daily driver and am now driving a bit more with a recent new job. I need to know, seeing as the 5 spd has a better final ratio than the 6 spd, what is ALL needed to do a complete swap from 6 spd to 5 spd? I have access to a 5 spd, axles, starter, flywheel and clutch from an 03 sedan with SPI motor. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
beatmaniac1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90996
What I Drive: 2003 red svtf

FF Reputation: 2 beatmaniac1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You probably going to run into some BIG fitment issues: the SPI 5-speed is a IB5 not an MTX-75, they do not bolt up on the same engines. I'm looking myself into swapping a 5speed but because my clutch is on his last miles and I do the swap for less than a new clutch kit and my 6 speed tranny as 250 k km so I dont know I long it will last me... But I think you're better to find an mtx, that way you shouldnt have any problems. This thread explained how to do the reverse swap we want to do : http://forums.focaljet.com/shift/475...-can-done.html
Old 02-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 47 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Yes the IB5 won't fit the Getrag in the SVT. Now you could go to the 5 speed but you would need the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate from a 5 speed focus. Now as far as the talk about the 5 speed having the better final drive than the 6 speed is all relative. The 6 speed final drive is geared more like a the MTX-75 with the 4.06 ring gear. The 5 speed will have better acceleration from a dig but the 6 speed will have a much better top end due to the close ratio's once you get out of 1st and 2nd gear. You can get a stock Luk clutch kit for the 6 speed for 300-400 bucks now a days. Much easier to just replace with the stock components than doing a whole tranny swap.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
This^

If you were super-set on doing that; wouldn't it be easier to have a custom 6th pressed on?!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

I dunno about that, that would be expensive too. I also want to add that the Getrag is a much more refined transmission compared to the MTX-75. Being that I have both types in my foci I can tell a big difference and honestly I like driving the Getrag better than the MTX-75.

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 02-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
djohn
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83702
What I Drive: 03 pitch black svt focus

FF Reputation: 1 djohn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Hey sleepy, Im not wanting to do this swap for performance. Im wanting it because I drive alot and want to bring my final RPMs down when cruising on the highway. And now I know that the IB tranny, axles, clutch, flywheel and starter I have will not match up to my engine. So now my search is on for all the MTX75 stuff.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
beatmaniac1
Focus Enthusiast

djohn, if youre looking for this swap only for fuel economy reason, you might end up losing money, even on the long run. I've been from a mtx-75 to a getrag and final ratio are really close, I'm not even sure theres more than 200rpm between them at highway speed. You could probably on par with a mtx-75 just by swapping slightly bigger tires. That being said, i'd be happy if you decided to swap the tranny and do a how-to at the same time Cause my tranny as 250 k km and I'm not sure but I think its beginning to whine in 1st and 2nd gear, my clutch is slippin and my flywheel is chattering a lot and I can get my hands on a brand new exedy clutch kit for a steal, then i'd only have to find a cheap mtx and do the swap for half the price of luk svt clutch kit shipped in canada furthermore, I prefered the shorter 1st and 2nd gear of the mtx. With the getrag the fun beggins when I'm already above the speed limits lol
Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

The 03-04 duratec MTX-75 came with a lower (numerically) final drive ratio where as the Zetec's was a 3.82. If your after a lower final drive that would be the ring gear to look for. Just swap it onto the diff once you get the transmission. You can't use a Duratec MTX-75 mated to a zetec block due to the bell housing being different, but the diff's and final drive will swap over. Also like it was said it may not be worth for cost vs gains. Though as far as performance is concerned, I've always wanted to do a 5 speed swap onto a SVT since the MTX-75 is a better trans for drag racing which is the Getrag's only weakness unless boost is added then it's perfect lol

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 02-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
beatmaniac1
Focus Enthusiast

I've seen a couple of focus owner swapping 6 speed on zetec but has anyone ever swapped a 5-speed on the svt and could actually tell the difference, like sleepy said, I feel like the, relatively, high-revving svt engine would be fun as hell mated to the shorter mtx gearing
Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatmaniac1 View Post
I've seen a couple of focus owner swapping 6 speed on zetec but has anyone ever swapped a 5-speed on the svt and could actually tell the difference, like sleepy said, I feel like the, relatively, high-revving svt engine would be fun as hell mated to the shorter mtx gearing

Hellz yea, I always thought that too. Can you imagine it, I know I can

I almost thought I was going to have to do this to my SVT until I found a bell housing for it.

Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks