Has anyone with low-speed shudder actually gotten it fixed? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
agamben0
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88778
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Sedan (Sterling Grey)

FF Reputation: 1 agamben0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Has anyone with low-speed shudder actually gotten it fixed?

From what I understand it's only a low percentage of people who experience the problem I have where my car (PowerShift automatic) is prone to shaking/shuddering at idle and at low speeds (can anyone confirm that for me?).

And furthermore, I've seen people post here that their car started out doing this but it went away after 1000mi or less.

Well I'm right around 1000mi and this problem hasn't gone away for me. My car was in last week for something else - I mentioned it and the service guy just kinda shrugged it off.

Definitely going to make them look at it regardless, but I want to know: has anyone with this problem actually gotten it fixed? Could I possibly get some insight on what exactly the problem turned out to be? Something to tell the service guys?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Mine does it at times as well, especially in stop and go freeway situations. I haven't had my dealer look at it yet, but I will. As far as the going away with miles, I have 9k miles on mine it's still there.

I don't know whether it's just a quirk of the automated manual transmission or if it's something that can be and should be solved. I often wonder about this issue and the other transmission issues, where some people report them and are bothered, others report them and say it's just normal and others say they don't see them at all. It would be interesting for someone who does experience them and someone who doesn't to take each other's car for short drive and see what they report.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
immaengineer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87350
What I Drive: 2012, White, Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 immaengineer Good Standing Member
Most of it is due to the tuning. In order to get the most MPG's the engine stays at the lowest possible RPM, especially during idle. Thats why you feel it shake due to the inbalance in the engine at low RPM, then the computer will correct itself and rev a little to balance it out. The other problem is with the tuning of the transmission. During stop and go driving, the tranny wants to hurry up and change to a higher gear when you're giving it gas, even when you don't nessasarilly want to change to a higher gear. Then it switchs back down, rather ungracefully, when you slow down or brake. More fine tuning is needed by ford. It needs a dedicated ECO mode in my opinion.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by immaengineer View Post
More fine tuning is needed by ford.
I completely agree. This would be my only complaint about the transmission.

I also believe that a lot of people are mistaking normal operating quirks of the powershift transmission as indications that something is wrong. It's not a torque convertor based automatic, it doesn't work like one, so it doesn't sound or act like one. This is perfectly normal.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
JPopNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88327
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium H-back

FF Reputation: 1 JPopNC Good Standing Member
Many have posted on this and the concensus is that a higher octane fuel is a possible remedy. Try using 89 octane. Mine shuddered really bad, tried 89 octane and it's run smooth ever since.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
TdK71
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85480
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Blue Candy Metallic Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TdK71 Good Standing Member
When did you get your car? And how many miles were on it when you took delivery?

If it was before July the shuddering will work itself out as you put more miles on the car.

The trans plant (in Brazil) used the wrong break-in compound which is the major source of why the trans seems so quirky.

The reason I asked how many miles were on the car when you took delivery, was that the solution was to have employees drive the car for about 50 miles around the test track to wear the clutches in a little. The 50 mile thing was because Ford can't sell a car as new if it has over 100 miles on it.

Oh, and the wrong break-in compound does not negatively affect the lifecycle of the dual-clutch design. The compound was just a little to "sticky" for that type of design.

Last edited by TdK71; 09-12-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Grammar consistancy
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Montana
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89448
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Montana Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdK71 View Post
When did you get your car? And how many miles were on it when you took delivery?

If it was before July the shuddering will work itself out as you put more miles on the car.

The trans plant (in Brazil) used the wrong break-in compound which is the major source of why the trans seems so quirky.

The reason I asked how many miles were on the car when you took delivery, was that the solution was to have employees drive the car for about 50 miles around the test track to wear the clutches in a little. The 50 mile thing was because Ford can't sell a car as new if it has over 100 miles on it.

Oh, and the wrong break-in compound does not negatively affect the lifecycle of the dual-clutch design. The compound was just a little to "sticky" for that type of design.
What if it was after July? Have about 950 miles and it still does it.

Also not that I don't believe you but is there any written data to confirm your statement about a break-in compound?

Montana
Old 09-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
estoyloco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85580
What I Drive: 2013 Dart Limited

FF Reputation: 1 estoyloco Good Standing Member
I personally think this is the actual design of the car and normal operation.

But having said that, I noticed it in my car for the first 3 weeks.... I'm at 1300 mi now and I don't even notice it at all.

Either I am used to it that I don't notice it when I drive and it actually still exists... or it is completely gone from my car.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
TdK71
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85480
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Blue Candy Metallic Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TdK71 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
What if it was after July? Have about 950 miles and it still does it.

Also not that I don't believe you but is there any written data to confirm your statement about a break-in compound?

Montana
Not written data, but how about eyewitness accounts. I have both friends and relatives who work for the company, and they were picking up righteous OT Driving these cars around the test track.

If you went down Rotunda over to the Southfield Fwy during June and early July you would have seen the sea of 2012 Foci overflowing into the Greenfield Village parking lot.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
HPDSgtJDS
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88509
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SEL w/ MFT & Nav

FF Reputation: 1 HPDSgtJDS Good Standing Member
Mine has done it since day one... Now at 1800 miles and using higher octane gas it's noticeably better but still there... Before using higher octane fuel it was really bad when I'd have multiple passengers in the car with me... I haven't had three people in the car lately so I'll report back... I must admit it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

Sarg

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.760340,-95.362533

Bookmarks & Social Networks