stainless steel brake lines - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-04-2003, 03:07 PM   #1
blackandgold
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 495
What I Drive: 2008 VW GTI 2006 Ford Explorer LTD

FF Reputation: 1 blackandgold Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
stainless steel brake lines

I have seen these sold at some places. Are they worth the money?? Does it really cause your brakes to help you stop sooner?? thanks for replies

^ what the hell is that supposed to mean, you quote me and then put down some american eagle sh**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
Chucko
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1098
What I Drive: '03 5-door SVT Focus, '89 Mustang 5.0

FF Reputation: 1 Chucko Good Standing Member
Stainless braided brake lines make the pedal firmer, by reducing flex and ballooning. Some people may not like the feel - the pedal hardly moves as you push harder on it. It can be tricky to modulate the brakes if you're used to the normal flex. But I like the firmer feel.

They do have to be checked more frequently than standard rubber brake hoses.

If you switch to stainless, do the whole car at once. I got cheap and only did the fronts at first. I wound up with rear brakes that came on slowly and let go slowly. I don't recommend it!
'03 CD Silver SVT Focus 5-door, #2001 of 2173
(and a '89 Mustang 5.0)
Old 11-05-2003, 11:14 AM   #3
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

Points 26,169, Level 96
Points: 26,169, Level: 96 Points: 26,169, Level: 96 Points: 26,169, Level: 96
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I've got'em on my Mustang. What he says above is true.^^^^ They are firm, but work. Last longer too.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:21 AM   #4
Katulec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1497
What I Drive: 2003 French Blue ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Katulec Good Standing Member
how and how often do you clean the lines?
Suspension :: Strut Tower Brace
Projects on hold for a while until I decide where to go next.

Working at a Ford Dealership.

AIM: Katulec
Old 11-17-2003, 02:15 PM   #5
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
If your question is how often you should flush your brake lines the answer is in the owners manual. I would however suggest that if you reside in a very humid area to do it more frequently. Brake fluid attracts water. The water will vaporize when heated an will reduce performance and at worst could result in severe fading (a temporary no brake condition). Brake fluid contminated with water can also corrode brake part internals quickly. Using a quality fluid (not a racing fluid...they even attract more moisture!) is the first step. I used Castrol LMA (stands for low moisture absorbtion) on a prorally car with very good results. I did not have to completely flush my system after every event like my buddies who used racing fluids did. I never experienced fading with this fluid even under some pretty harsh use and conditions. Ford heavy duty truck fluid is remarkably good. It has a high boiling point, has low water absorbtion characteristics and is cheap.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:22 PM   #6
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
probably bc the ford heavy duty stuff is DOT5 (i'm guessing here). just one more not regarding brake fluid, DON'T USE AN OPENED CONTAINER! for example, you buy the really big container to top off now because you figure you could use some later. WRONG! after it's been sitting on your shelf without the little seal on it, it will get moisture in it! throw it out and get new fluid.

Mike
Old 11-17-2003, 07:55 PM   #7
Katulec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1497
What I Drive: 2003 French Blue ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Katulec Good Standing Member
kindofa just for the heck of it question: what if you reseal it? would the moisture already exposed to it and moisture trapped inside ruin all of it?
Suspension :: Strut Tower Brace
Projects on hold for a while until I decide where to go next.

Working at a Ford Dealership.

AIM: Katulec
Old 11-18-2003, 02:08 PM   #8
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
if you were to cover the opening with some saran wrap or something and then put the lid on... i guess. but how much is a bottle of brake fluid. $2 or $3 for some dot3, right? just be safe and throw it out IMO

Mike
Old 11-18-2003, 02:29 PM   #9
garyk

Fan#: 171
What I Drive: focus race car, stock svt street ca

FF Reputation: 1 garyk Good Standing Member
ss lines

you can get them from steeda, bat or a no. of other places.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:54 PM   #10
Chucko
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1098
What I Drive: '03 5-door SVT Focus, '89 Mustang 5.0

FF Reputation: 1 Chucko Good Standing Member
You can use racing brake fluid on the street IF you change it frequently. Most racing brake fluid will have a very high dry boiling point, but a mediocre wet boiling point - and the wet BP is the one that matters when the fluid gets old.

If you run track events where the brakes will see a lot of use (i.e. running laps on road courses for 20 minutes at a time), flush and fill the brake system with fluid from brand new, factory sealed cans just before the event. This is the only way you can be sure of having good dry fluid in the system. A long brake pedal is no fun when you're approaching a hairpin turn at triple-digit speeds. It would be a good idea to flush it again when you get back home - or even before you leave the track.

No matter which fluid you use, or how hard you drive, it's probably a good idea to flush the brake fluid at least as often as you change pads.
'03 CD Silver SVT Focus 5-door, #2001 of 2173
(and a '89 Mustang 5.0)

Bookmarks & Social Networks