77 f250 Flairside - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
77 f250 Flairside

I just purchased a 77 f250 Flairside. She definitely needs some work, but she runs great.

She has the 400 v-8, automatic transmission. Edelbrock filter and intake, Holly 4 barrel carb. 2wd.

I want to keep track of the progress I make on the truck in this thread. It will not be so much of a build thread due to budget and time constrains, but I will keep you updated when/if I make progress.

This morning it ran fine at idle, but died whenever I gave it gas. I found this afternoon that the manual choke lever in the cab was not adjusting the choke on the carb. So after a liberal application of degreaser, it is running much better.

Next up (I think): I have a minor exhaust leak.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
204ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 153938
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 204ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
looks awesome! i love me some old school Fords.
shame on the 400. The 460 or even 351 would have been nice to have.

look forward to the progress.
Hatch Nation #113
Old 05-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #3
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ZX3 View Post
looks awesome! i love me some old school Fords.
shame on the 400. The 460 or even 351 would have been nice to have.

look forward to the progress.
I would have liked the extra HP of the 460, but I absolutely love the torque of the 400. I think this thing could tow a house. And it has more than enough power to get me arrested on any road in the state.

I don't know about the hp/torque on the 351. I do believe that there is better aftermarket support but I do not no for sure.

At the end of the day, I could only buy what was available in my price range. And this beast is the best of what was available. This will never be a drag racer, but it is already a fun old truck, and a blast to drive. Thats good enough for me
Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
204ZX3
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_urn View Post
I would have liked the extra HP of the 460, but I absolutely love the torque of the 400. I think this thing could tow a house. And it has more than enough power to get me arrested on any road in the state.

I don't know about the hp/torque on the 351. I do believe that there is better aftermarket support but I do not no for sure.

At the end of the day, I could only buy what was available in my price range. And this beast is the best of what was available. This will never be a drag racer, but it is already a fun old truck, and a blast to drive. Thats good enough for me
definately nothing wrong with a stock 400 at all. Good motors. Just no aftermarket or performance capabilities. 351 and 460 have a lot more potential in the performance department. But if leaving it stock (which is cool) a 400 will give you no regrets.

id love to grab an old f-series truck. or bronco. preferebly 78/79
Hatch Nation #113
Old 05-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #5
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ZX3 View Post
definately nothing wrong with a stock 400 at all. Good motors. Just no aftermarket or performance capabilities. 351 and 460 have a lot more potential in the performance department. But if leaving it stock (which is cool) a 400 will give you no regrets.

id love to grab an old f-series truck. or bronco. preferebly 78/79
You're right. This is definitely not the right motor to make a race car out of. Just wanted a big, loud, obnoxious toy to play with. This certainly fits the bill.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
204ZX3
Focus Addict

no problem. at this point in time, whatever motor these old trucks have their a great find. getting less and less.

I will definately stay tuned to this thread
Hatch Nation #113
Old 05-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93835
What I Drive: 2010 Focus Se 1998 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 2 2010SVT Good Standing Member
Love it. Only two vehicles I ever regret letting go. Well hell. I've only ever let go of two. And that was my 92 mighty max and my 77 Ford F350 Ranger with the 460. Block ended up being cracked, needed way too much work and I was stationed in Washington state at the time and transporting it back to Louisiana wasnt an option. I need to get another.
sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, stealth exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

A previous owner installed a fuel pressure regulator at some point:

She seemed to be running a little lean, so I went to adjust the regulator, and the entire dial portion sheered off. Looks like the entire thing will be coming out.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SVT View Post
Love it. Only two vehicles I ever regret letting go. Well hell. I've only ever let go of two. And that was my 92 mighty max and my 77 Ford F350 Ranger with the 460. Block ended up being cracked, needed way too much work and I was stationed in Washington state at the time and transporting it back to Louisiana wasnt an option. I need to get another.
Thanks for the compliment. I have been drooling over old beater trucks for years, but never had the disposable income to buy one and keep it running.

Every time I drive it, I have a big grin on my face. Yesterday I needed propane for a BBQ (definitely should not have waited till 3pm on memorial day... lol), had to go to three different stores to find one that had a tank left. That would normally be very annoying to me, but not in the truck!

Of course, when the wife finds out how much I will have to spend on gas, it might be parked more often....
Old 05-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
204ZX3
Focus Addict

I love driving my truck. I used $40 in fuel the other day just driving around.

The car, eh. I commute with it.
Not a fan lol.
Hatch Nation #113

Bookmarks & Social Networks