How Do You Know If Rear Wheel Bearings Are Bad? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Dayna2.3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 512
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZTS 2.3L PZEV Dark Blue

FF Reputation: 1 Dayna2.3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How Do You Know If Rear Wheel Bearings Are Bad?

2003 Focus ZTS, 31k miles, only mod is 2000 Ford Contour SVT 16' wheels. Brand new tires.

How do you tell if rear wheel bearings need to be replaced?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
euro-bred
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30047
What I Drive: 04 2.3 zx3

Points 1,736, Level 24
Points: 1,736, Level: 24 Points: 1,736, Level: 24 Points: 1,736, Level: 24
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 euro-bred Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If they are bad you might hear an awful grinding noise or if you lift the car up you might feel some play in the wheel when you shake/shimmy it.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
NutZ-X3
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90570
What I Drive: 2002 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 NutZ-X3 Good Standing Member
Even an annoying hum, louder than a tire, that resonates in the cabin would be a bearing. Take it to a local shop or stethoscope it yourself if you have one to be sure. You can't always tell with the natural ear but it sure does hum at speed when they start to go.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
Dayna2.3
Focus Enthusiast

NutZ-X3, thank you for your reply. I have a noise, a whine, that starts about 20 mph. With new tires I know it is not the tires. How do you get a stethescope on the wheel bearing buried inside the wheel at road speed? How would a shop test for this?
Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
ferferp
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 41510
What I Drive: 2001 Harvest Gold SE

Points 346, Level 6
Points: 346, Level: 6 Points: 346, Level: 6 Points: 346, Level: 6
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 ferferp Good Standing Member
I have had this problem twice already, in my case I didn't hear any rumbling noises. The first time I started to feel a vibration which increased day by day and a week after I barely made it home as I almost lose one of the rear tires on the road. The second time was when replacing the shoes on the brakes and when trying to pull out the drum the bearing broke!. Ever since back in 2009 i decided to upgrade the whole rear spindles, and rear brakes to SVT. Curiously enough I think I now have a front bearing problem and this time is making an awful noise after 20 mph/40 kph, the strange thing is that when turning left the noise goes away but when going back straight or turning right. Anyways, I will get in to this today and see what the problem is.

Just stating my experiences with wheel bearings but in this case it seems like they are the problem

Cheers
Old 10-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
NutZ-X3
Focus Rookie

With the vehicle in the air, they apply the scope from the inside while spinning the wheel. You don't get the pressure that the road would apply, but it's then free to wobble on the bearing, which can be heard. A less accurate way of doing this at home would be to take a big screwdriver that has the tang all the way through the handle and put it behind the spindle and listen for the vibration with your ear to the handle end. I only have one screwdriver like that and no idea where you'd get one these days.

I took my last one to the shop because as annoying as it was from about 45mph up, I couldn't determine which side it was for myself. I told them I wanted any necessary repairs diagnosed before bringing it for alignment. They put it on the lift and checked it for free.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
Almost definitely IS a wheel bearing issue. My '05 has 65k on the odo and I just had a front noisy one replaced. I found out that it wasn't the only one that had gone bad. The other front has play and there is also some humming coming from the back. So the wheel bearings in these cars must be on the weak side. WAY on the weak side. Other than that, my car has been super-solid thru 65k FWIW
Old 10-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
NutZ-X3
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAL View Post
So the wheel bearings in these cars must be on the weak side. WAY on the weak side.
That's not ALL!

Tie rods were the first to go for me. Then came the rear whl brg's., ball joints, strut brgs, well everything. I'd replaced every wearable factory suspension part (EXCEPT the front whl brgs!) for the first time between 28K and 110K.

I'm currently @ 168K and going the second round now! I've finally got the left front whl brg getting loose now too. It just makes a scuffing sound from the tire being outa line and has a very slight up-n-down play with the caliper off.

I've also replaced every factory component that's driven off the serpentine belt. For how I've beaten this car mercilessly from 3-minutes after leaving the lot with 32mi. on the odometer @ delivery, I'm spectacularly pleased with how it's responded though!!!

My freinds can't believe the lil red devil is still going, and strongly!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Brutal04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 14665
What I Drive: 05 CD Silver ZX3/02 White SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Brutal04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have an '02 Wagon that I'm doing the rear wheel bearings right now. I had a humming that would go louder the faster I went. VERY annoying.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #10
Dayna2.3
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you to all who replied to my post and also to the members who posted "how to" articles on replacing rear wheel bearings! I shopped the required parts on RockAuto, two new brake drums w/bearings, and a new set of rear brake shoes, and found a quality NAPA local repair shop, where my Focus was fixed today. What a difference. I beat the RepairPal estimates and the dealer repair price by 45%. A good deal.

The only thing is they say the front bearings may go next and that repair is twice the cost of the rears. For now, my Focus is excellent.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.