2.0 Zetec Timing Belt - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
TeamFucus02
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90337
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 TeamFucus02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
2.0 Zetec Timing Belt

My car is coming up on 120k and in the maintenance book it says I should replace the timing belt. I baby the car. Never dump the clutch or shift extremely hard on occasion I do to get on the highway but that's all.

Any of you guys know when I should replace it or if it will last if I keep babying it like I do?

Let me know!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
It doesn't really matter how you drive the car, it's wearing no matter what. If you can afford for it to break on you and leave you stranded and without a car for a day or two, keep driving it. If not you should plan on changing it soon. You could get a better idea by taking the upper timing cover off and looking at the belt, but in order to do that you need to remove the right engine mount since the upper cover is anchored by it, and it's a bit involved to do that.

Don't count on the belt lasting forever just because you're easy on the car, it doesn't work that way.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
TeamFucus02
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Oh I understand that completely but if im rough on the car then the belt will go quicker. Ill replace it soon but I want some opinions before I have it done.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

I'm serious, you can baby the car all you want, but you'd need a metric shit ton of HP and drivetrain trauma that would break other stuff before it affected the belt. Daily driving or any slight tension or pulley misalignment is affecting your belt more than anything. It could last another 100K miles and it could go tomorrow. At this point it's nearly a decade old, do what you want but it's constantly wearing and will fail eventually.

Fords opinion is that the belt should have been changed already, that's a pretty well informed second opinion. Your car is not going to drive any differently before it lets go, it's just going to happen and then you'll be kind of . If you intend to keep the car for another 20 or 30K miles, it needs to happen at some point soon. Save some money and do it.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Blue5ive
R.I.P Kona

Fan#: 83941
What I Drive: 2003 TW Blue ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 Blue5ive Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Yes 120k recommended. Did mine at 138k. Old belt looked great. No cracks or teeth damage. However some people have had theirs go out at 80k. Just depends on alot of stuff. If you took off timing cover you could inspect belt and see where you stand. Takes about 20 minutes or so if you have the tools and know how. Fyi dealer will charge you $1000+ for parts and labor. Be cheaper elsewhere and even more so if you do it yourself with a friend.
Hatch Nation #9
"2 by 2 Hands of Blue."
Old 10-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
TeamFucus02
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

6SPD: It suggests 120k my car has 119k haha. I am doing it within the next month for sure. Like I said I wanted to get some opinions. Ive never owned a 4cyl. All V8 Chevys (305's) So I know guys like you know their stuff.

Dirt: Ok, cool but like i was saying to 6SPD I am having it done soon. I am not gonna mess it up so I am going to a shop to do it. Dual cams scare me lol. I've done a cam change by myself on my other Chevys but thats is cake compared to a 4 cyl

Should I get the kit and do the water pump and tensioners or just the belt? I am doing the kit and I got a quote for $550 so for a 4 hour or so job and the part being $170 labor at $40/hr + shop expenses and use. Just want more opinions.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
orangecrush4u
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88750
What I Drive: 03 Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 orangecrush4u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have 67 on mine and I am thinking about doing it soon. I dont want it to go on my me @ 3am somewhere in maine or New Brusnwick on one of my trips.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

There's a gates belt kit (think it's TCK 294) that includes belt, tensioner and idler for around $70 or a little more, it's definitely worth spending a little more and changing all that. People have different opinions about the water pump, they think it's worth changing just because you're right there, but it's not driven by the timing belt so this is not an engine where new timing belt tension could affect the water pump bearings and cause it to seize. I think that's the misconception people have and why they think it should be done, it's a good rule of thumb if the water pump is timing belt driven, but this one isn't. I wouldn't bother with it, I can't recall ever reading here about water pump failure and I don't think it happens often on these cars.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
TeamFucus02
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks 6SPD. That last post made my last of my mind up because I was looking all over for a water pump failure for this engine but could never find one.

Thanks To everyone that help. I greatly appreciate it!
Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
DEMENTED SVTF
PARTS HUNTER

Fan#: 71669
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX2 5.0 SUPERCAB

FF Reputation: 9 DEMENTED SVTF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Its not about how u treat it its about how old the belt is. Fresher the rubber the better. This goes for tires,wipers,belts and hoses with aged rubber gets brittle instead of giving and stretching it snaps

Bookmarks & Social Networks