Deleting the tumble flaps - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #41
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

Points 11,565, Level 70
Points: 11,565, Level: 70 Points: 11,565, Level: 70 Points: 11,565, Level: 70
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrove998 View Post
I do like the painting he did on the intake runners...really dresses up the stock manifold.
Thanks, it sucks its plastic but i guess that makes it cheaper to build. I like the way the after market intakes look i just didnt want to lose the bottom end.

Doing this mod i think thats exactly what ive gone and done. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #42
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Have you gotten a tune yet to factor in the removal of the flaps?
Last of the Hatches #28
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #43
JBZZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55935
What I Drive: 14 5dr SE, 09 4dr SE, 07 ZX3 SAP

Points 2,266, Level 28
Points: 2,266, Level: 28 Points: 2,266, Level: 28 Points: 2,266, Level: 28
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 0 JBZZX3 Newbie
Hey all... not trying to thread jack here but does anyone know of the 09 model year has the Intake Manifold Runner Control flaps?

If so.. could you PLEASE reply to my thread found here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273033

Also... just FYI.. I had issues with my 07 IMRC flaps. I had taken it to the dealer near me and they swore up and down that it was noisy injectors. I knew that was not what it was. I took it to another dealer and they replaced the entire intake. I had been getting 25-26 MPG but started getting 28-29 on the very first tank after the repair was completed.

I still never broke the 30mpg mark between work and home but the car did run better. it was an MTX and the rpm's were falling down in between shift before which caused a poor shift. After repair.. they stayed up higher and it was much better.

On a side note.. my friend has an 07 Subie WRX and his car also has IMRC style flaps.... his car on the other hand throws a code.. where as ours do not. His got stuck open... and eventually freed themselves as his code is gone.. he was quoted $900-1200 to get the intake manifold replaced. He can also get them removed and get a tune done... they said it was for initial started up and after the car is warmed up... they just stay open.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #44
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,565, Level 70
Level Up 79% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
Have you gotten a tune yet to factor in the removal of the flaps?
Yeah, it actually didnt run that bad after i took em out. The idle for some reason jumped up at the start when it was cold just like it did when i first got it and it had the cat. Tom fixed that, then i noticed some surging when i went up a long hill near my home and i kept it at a flat RPM.

Other then that its been ok. I did notice i lost some bottom end torque which i didnt like.

Maybe when i install the stage1 cams ill be glad i removed them.

Other then painting the intake i whish i had left it alone.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #45
JBZZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55935
What I Drive: 14 5dr SE, 09 4dr SE, 07 ZX3 SAP

Points 2,266, Level 28
Points: 2,266, Level: 28 Points: 2,266, Level: 28 Points: 2,266, Level: 28
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 0 JBZZX3 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
Yeah, it actually didnt run that bad after i took em out. The idle for some reason jumped up at the start when it was cold just like it did when i first got it and it had the cat. Tom fixed that, then i noticed some surging when i went up a long hill near my home and i kept it at a flat RPM.

Other then that its been ok. I did notice i lost some bottom end torque which i didnt like.

Maybe when i install the stage1 cams ill be glad i removed them.

Other then painting the intake i whish i had left it alone.
From my past experiences with other cars... very rarely does a vehicle run right if the intake has been changed out and all other parts have been left unchanged.

It would go to reason that essentially your intake is now taking in a larger amount of air then it was before... probably not by much but still more then it was when it was stock.

As with most engine... anytime you increase incoming air... fuel needs to be increased as well. This COULD possibly be fixed by a little more fuel pressure but not being an expert with D Tecs... I can't say for sure. Further more... the stock cam most likely will not meet the needs of the new configuration... so it seems like a little more cam should help as well. Along with those things... to finish off the package... you would need to top it all off with some exhaust parts.

This is just my opinion but generally.. when you change one thing... everything else must follow!

Good luck dude! I think you will get this hammered out by reconfiguring things to all the parts match.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #46
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,565, Level 70
Level Up 79% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZZX3 View Post
From my past experiences with other cars... very rarely does a vehicle run right if the intake has been changed out and all other parts have been left unchanged.

It would go to reason that essentially your intake is now taking in a larger amount of air then it was before... probably not by much but still more then it was when it was stock.

As with most engine... anytime you increase incoming air... fuel needs to be increased as well. This COULD possibly be fixed by a little more fuel pressure but not being an expert with D Tecs... I can't say for sure. Further more... the stock cam most likely will not meet the needs of the new configuration... so it seems like a little more cam should help as well. Along with those things... to finish off the package... you would need to top it all off with some exhaust parts.

This is just my opinion but generally.. when you change one thing... everything else must follow!

Good luck dude! I think you will get this hammered out by reconfiguring things to all the parts match.
Well im not sure, i dont really know how to read the datalogs to see if more air is now flowing or not. You would think that by removing a fin like think in the path of the airflow would help and in theory it sounds better but i just didnt notice much gain.

I would also think the same as you that now with it open more air should flow. My A/F didnt really change i would of thought it would but it didnt.

I think the same amount of air is flowing, its just not flowing the same WAY.

The tumble flaps change the WAY it flows into the ports. I think it was better with it stock.

Also i do have some mods on my car. CAI and a full header to 2.5" back. I have a 42" resonator 2.5 in and out and a 2.5" in and out muffler after the header. I also have a larger TB
Old 11-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #47
NX_Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13160
What I Drive: 07ZX3,hayabusa& gsxr,3stangs,98rngr

FF Reputation: 2 NX_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
tb1999 has a lot of good info on intakes. not sure if you seen his post. I know you got it on, But the post may help on other ideas later if you plan to do more work

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238575
I don't need.
To impress people,
I don't know.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #48
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,625, Level 68
Points: 10,625, Level: 68 Points: 10,625, Level: 68 Points: 10,625, Level: 68
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 59 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Escape 23 intake manifold

So after looking @ tb1999's thread on stock intake manifold's, Why does the D23 ecsape not use imrc? It does use imtv. How would escape manifold w/ a tune run? Any idea & what would that get you? And why do you think Ford did that? Interesting huh? comments????
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #49
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,565, Level 70
Level Up 79% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
I think the flaps are better. Ive ran it a year now and i think i liked it before the mod. Ill be putting mine back here soon.

test, open your mouth wide put your hand infront of your mouth and breathe normal. You dont feel much air. Then close your lips down as if your going to whistle and then breathe the same way. The more closed opening seems to increase the flow or the velosity or something.

I think the flaps do the same thing. Closing down the opening at lower RPMs i think helps at lower RPMs when its not pulling in as much air.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #50
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,625, Level 68
Points: 10,625, Level: 68 Points: 10,625, Level: 68 Points: 10,625, Level: 68
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 59 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
delete the shaft & the tumble flaps or get an escape manifold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
I think the flaps are better. Ive ran it a year now and i think i liked it before the mod. Ill be putting mine back here soon.

test, open your mouth wide put your hand infront of your mouth and breathe normal. You dont feel much air. Then close your lips down as if your going to whistle and then breathe the same way. The more closed opening seems to increase the flow or the velosity or something.

I think the flaps do the same thing. Closing down the opening at lower RPMs i think helps at lower RPMs when its not pulling in as much air.
Say Ronnie, I pulled off the imrc activator & tie wrapped the flaps open & have been running it this way for a few weeks now, & it runs a lot smoother whether its cold or hot. So I was going to pull the shaft & the flaps out & fill the holes or get an Escape manifold. I'd sure like to know if the escape manifold has all the same features or all the same stuff as the foci 23 manifold has minus the imrc.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.