Exterior Door handle problem - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
nazcardan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90602
What I Drive: 2006 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 nazcardan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exterior Door handle problem

I need assistance from someone who either has a Focus and has fixed the problem I currently have... OR you have fixed on someone else's Focus and know alittle bit about what's going on.

I have a 2006 Focus ZX3... recently hard a "crack" while attempting to open my drivers side door, followed by what sounded like something metal bouncing off other components inside the door as it made it's way to the bottom of the door. This happened when I pulled the door handle to open it. Does anyone have knowledge of where I need to start? And what "component" do I need to be focusing on here, as in cable, or screw or pin etc etc. The actual plastic part of the handle that you grab when you pull to open the door is NOT cracked or broken. The problem is going to be directly behind the handle on the interior portion of the door. I already have all the screws loose on the inside door panel... all I can see is the foam that completly covers the interior of the door. It does not seem to want to move or come out after the intitial test to see how hard it will be to remove. What is the best way to approach this fix? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
There is a white plastic clip within the interior handle mechanism that holds a metal pushrod of sorts. It's prone to cracking/breaking. Once it's broken the pushrod is disengaged from the outer handle. I don't believe the clip is sold separately; you need to buy the plastic interior handle bit, sometimes known as the door handle "reinforcement", IIRC. It's usually the clip that breaks or the door handle spring that fails so that the door handle doesn't return to the "home" position.

You need to remove the door panel, the door bolster, the exterior handle and the interior locking mechanism to remove and replace the affected part. To remove the door bolster (the foam), slide the bolster forward (or back- can't remember) to disengage the pins.

Replacement isn't particularly hard, just tedious and fiddly working in the confined door space with little light.

I'll post a pic of the part you need later and a part number.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Part # YS41-A224A37-AB
You can see the white clip at the top through which the pushrod goes. The door handle return spring is around the green sleeve.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
nazcardan
Focus Rookie

Okay thanks for the pics that should be very helpful... where I'm stuck is in the removal of the interior door panel. I have removed the small screws along the sides and found the one at the inside door handle lever... but now for some reason it's still hanging up somewhere... am I missing a screw somewhere that needs to be removed? I have it loose on top all the over to about 8 inches from the mirror controller and it is already removed but I dont know where I'm hanging up at? Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Just did some work on the door interior, albeit a rear door but - there are three screws in the door pull.

You have to pop off the long rectangular plastic insert that hides these screws. And you'll new a deep 1/4 inch socket, yes 1/4 inch, to get to the two, the third is just a phillips head (why did they use a standard size head - left over stock or ordered the wrong part number and used them anyway?).

There is a reference to interior door work that I came across in a search. It had professional pics for both front and rear doors with instructions.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
nazcardan
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the info 2000 SE... I'll work on that area and see where it takes me. I'm not very experienced at this sort of thing so my hope is I don't dig into something and get in over my head. I wonder how much this fix would cost if taken to a dealership? Or can most mechanics handle this?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
nazcardan
Focus Rookie

BC_ZX3 ... you mentioned that I need an INTERIOR door assembly... I believe the piece that broke was just inside the EXTERIOR handle... do I still the INTERIOR assembly? If so, it's okay I dont mean to imply that is incorrect.. just want to make sure I buy the right part the first time.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
See if this helps with your 2006:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ght=1%2F4+inch

Pictures are at the end - maybe figure #3 is what you want.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazcardan View Post
BC_ZX3 ... you mentioned that I need an INTERIOR door assembly... I believe the piece that broke was just inside the EXTERIOR handle... do I still the INTERIOR assembly? If so, it's okay I dont mean to imply that is incorrect.. just want to make sure I buy the right part the first time.
From your description of the problem, you will require the part listed. The black plastic exterior door handle is fairly robust. It's usually the inner workings - pushrod, clip, spring - that fail.

The best method to determine what's required - although it's obviously not the most convenient - is to dismantle and inspect first, buy parts later.

I bought the exterior handle initially, as you're proposing, only to find there was nothing wrong with it. It's just a big chunk of plastic. The interior mechanism/reinforcement/assembly was required.

For door panel removal, try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csldDPNGEPI This doesn't go into the mechanism replacement, just removing parts to get to it.

Last edited by BC_ZX3; 10-08-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Just to follow up on this: I found some old pics.

Broken door lock and mechanism out of door:

Close up of broken clip and mount (pushrod removed). The metal "C" shaped piece is supposed to be attached just above and to the right of the spring (near the green area). It failed due to metal fatigue.

Repaired piece with pushrod in correct position

Bookmarks & Social Networks