Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #71
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Figured I'd drop by to give you all a slight update. My car continues to have an audible vibration coming from the rear of the vehicle at 45 to 60 mph, and its currently in the shop getting its final repair from Ford before it is deemed a lemon due to that issue. I've already sent Ford a Vehicle Defect Notification. But, I told them that I wanted the power steering issue addressed as well while the car is there. Nothing was done about it during my last visit.

Back when I first posted on this thread about the power steering failing one time, the service dealer said that a generic code was saved and they couldn't diagnose any further. Looking at my paperwork, that code was: U3000:49. Now that the FSE is at the dealership trying to figure out how to fix the vibration issue, he also ordered a new power steering gearbox to be installed tomorrow morning to address the one time the power steering failed. It still hasn't failed to date, but I'm glad they are doing something about it.

Now we just have to get the vibration worked out (and address that windshield wiper recall). Won't hold my breath though, 6th time to the shop certainly doesn't seem like that would be trick.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #72
Bcdog1123
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98519
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Bcdog1123 Good Standing Member
Same thing happened to me in a Drive-thru! I did not have to restart the car. It corrected itself in about 20 sec. Kinda freaked me out. Only got 650 miles on the car and I have only had the car 9 days. I am going to take it to the dealer on Friday.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #73
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
I brought my Focus in last week to have a final repair attempt performed to fix my power steering and more importantly my car having a warble/vibration/hum (sounds like "wah-wah-wah") at 45 to 60 mph. The Field Service Engineer had a new power steering gearbox installed in the vehicle and I just got it back today. Drives the same as before, hope the power steering doesn't go out again like it did that one time. As for the vibration, the service dealer said that they couldn't hear the vibration at all this time around. No fix was done for that. : (

Last edited by ruthrj; 05-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #74
carpediem
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99672
What I Drive: 2012, Black Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 carpediem Good Standing Member
Last week I was driving out of a parking lot when the driving steering fault service light notification came on and I lost control of the vehicle. I managed to pull the car into a spot and turn it off. After reading the manual and calling the dealership, I was told to just turn off / on the car and the code would reset. If the problem persists, to bring my vehicle in for a check up.

Several days later and I'm driving on the highway when boom, driving steering fault service notification pops up and I lose control again. I was driving about 80-90 km or 49-55 mph. It was a bit nerve rattling with several other motorists on the road. I was able to slow to a stop and when safe, pull off the road. I turned off / on the car and drove back home.

Today on the way to work, I was on the highway going the same 80-90 km or 49-55 mph when again, I lose control and the driving steering fault service light notification came on. This time a lot more cars and trucks were on the road and I nearly got in to an accident. Was pretty freaked out. I pulled the car over and called the dealership who said "it's not our fault, we don't make the cars, we only sell them". I had the vehicle towed to the dealership and I'm currently driving a rental.

I don't feel safe at all in this vehicle and will recommend people against buying it. I'm 6 months in to owning it and have approximately 16,000 kms / 9,941 miles.

I have a good feeling this is going to be Ford's massive recall which happened to Toyota with their breaking system.

I'm currently looking at local media and better business bureau advice to bring this to the attention of others. Ford seems to be dragging their feet about this issue and there are numerous blogs, forums, and articles on the net regarding this issue and failure to comply or correct it.

That's my rant. I'll keep everyone posted with what happens but I'm really looking at getting out of this purchase, re-selling it or seeking legal issue due to the unsafe driving it has occured.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #75
Carol
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101002
What I Drive: 2012 blue Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Carol Good Standing Member
This just happened to me this morning! I have a 2012 Focus that I leased in Sept 2011. I have never had a problem with this car before this. I pulled into the parking lot at work, and saw that there were no available spots. I put the car in reverse to turn around and the little "bing-bong" sound came on like when you are low on gas. I looked at the dashboard and at the same time, realized my stearing was reallllly hard. THe message said" Power Steering Assist Fault" and then "Service Advancetrac" I managed to struggle through the parking lot and find a spot where I turned off the engine and came to work. I will have to deal with the problem at lunch. I am hoping as previous posters have said, the problem will go away so that I can drive it to the dealer then. I was thinking it would have to be towed. So now I am just so grateful it did not happen when I was driving the highway to work.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #76
notmike
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95412
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 notmike Good Standing Member
I am the latest victim of the "Steering assist fault. Service required" error message. I was pulling out of a parking space Sunday evening, when the wheel violently jerked and the error message popped up. Fortunately, I was only 2 miles from home and traffic was light. I tried a few more key cycles, but the message kept coming back.

My car is a blue candy 2012 Ford Focus Titanium with 1876 miles.

This morning I called Ford's roadside assistance to tow the vehicle to my dealer. The dealer says the part to fix the steering is on national back order until at least 8/17. They gave me a silver Focus SEL as a rental (I already miss having the MFT and keyless entry/ignition). I just wish that $5 per day tax on the rental wasn't coming out of my pocket.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #77
dlocher
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102634
What I Drive: 2013, Black Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 dlocher Good Standing Member
Ford Focus ST

I have a question for FordCustomerService rep., or anyone else
who may know, I'm purchasing an ST in October...do you know if
this power steering failure problem has been resolved from the
factory. I know there are issues with all vehicles, just wondering
if the issue has been resolved. Just curious as a soon to be ST owner.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #78
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

Points 372, Level 7
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
delete
Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #79
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

Points 372, Level 7
Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7 Points: 372, Level: 7
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus_trend View Post
I have had exactly the same issue with my brand new Focus in Australia, Intermittent power steering failure which resolved after restarting the car.

Ford Australia couldn't have been more helpful!

Brought the car to the local dealer (who didn't sell me the car!) and and a brand new steering rack ($$$) was installed without the slightest hesitation.

I imagine they were very concerned about the safety aspect and possible liability if it failed at higher speeds. One would think that in a litigious society like the US that Ford would act even quicker to rectify a fault like this?

:)
Nah, nobody can afford the lawyers and the years of legal BS it would take to get a resolution. In the end, someone will have to die before a recall is issued for something like this. And because this IS a safety issue, a recall will eventually be sent out, but not until Ford absolutely has to. The best people can hope for with something like this is that Ford eventually finds a resolution and fixes it or that their state has a decent lemon law still in effect. Many don't. And with some Ford dealerships being told to "refuse" to make an attempt at a repair, this skirts many of the lemon laws in effect throughout different states as the company has to have FAILED x amount of times before it can be considered a lemon.

Over the years the laws here in the U.S. have slowly migrated from protecting the consumer to protecting the business. The consumer needs extremely deep pockets to get any kind of legal satisfaction usually. It's all about the bottom line. If a few people die and it makes national news, then Ford will pretend they didn't know about this issue but they are going to take care of it right away!!

ANd make no mistake, it IS a safety issue. First time this happens with some 110 pound teenager behind the wheel at speed on a freeway and it won't be pretty. But of course Ford is concerned for your safety! Just not enough to do something about it.

It is also rather disgusting that Natasha would talk about Ford being concerned with people's safety while the dealership is ignoring (and possibly clearing) those thrown codes and claiming they aren't going to fix it. And she is probably doing it for about 10-12 bucks an hour.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #80
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,142, Level 40
Points: 4,142, Level: 40 Points: 4,142, Level: 40 Points: 4,142, Level: 40
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
If this is an ongoing issue and Ford has been less than helpful maybe you can do this:

The next time this happens to anyone, pull off the road, take a picture of the display before turning off the car, then call the police as it IS an emergency.

They will likely recommend it be towed and since it should still be covered by the warranty Ford will have to cover the towing cost.

Perhaps a bunch of police reports will work if your voice alone does not.

Brian

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.