Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #61
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I had the power steering fail on me Saturday morning, March 31st. I had started the car, it was running for maybe a few seconds, and I threw it in reverse to back out normally. 1 second into backing up and halfway out of the spot, BAM, power steering goes out with the message warning chirp. Power Steering Failure Get Service or whatever it said. I fought the wheel to ensure it was really out. After a few choice words, I turned the car off and restarted it. The power steering was still out after a few seconds. After a few more choice words, I realized the power steering was working again and the warnings went away after restarting.

I'll bring it up to my service dealer as I already have an appointment this Thursday. I'm still working on getting the vibration/warble fixed on the car between 50 to 65 mph. Follow my other posts to see the drama with that. I'm really regretting buying this car. I sold my 98 Jetta TDI just to avoid problems like this. Now my car has spent 5x more time in the shop than my 14 year old car. To say I'm pissed would be putting it mildly.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #62
fordblue
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97078
What I Drive: used to drive 2012 focus w/dct

FF Reputation: 1 fordblue Good Standing Member
Holy Cow!........I hope reading this post is not a jinx.....
Old 04-03-2012, 07:07 AM   #63
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,391, Level 98
Points: 27,391, Level: 98 Points: 27,391, Level: 98 Points: 27,391, Level: 98
Level Up 5% Completed
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Please check the lemon laws in your state. Be sure to do your research on .gov websites, and avoid .org or .com sites that are owned by lawyers. Most of the paperwork you can file yourself without representation. The state is supposed to represent you. Just gather your materials, information, and don't tell dealer reps that you're seeking that route. Make sure that you have all your ducks in a row, get more documentation than you think you need, and if they try to give you current resale or not refund you what you've paid- then threaten a lawyer. The proper way to do this is to simply say: "I'm sorry, I read the law, and the statute says full refund of all monies incurred in the purchase of the vehicle, and your numbers don't match mine. Here is my lawyer's name, from now on you should contact this office instead of calling me." They will use tricks to avoid following the law. They will tell you things that aren't true because they assume that most people don't read or attempt to understand laws. I've done a bit of research, and most states have help lines as well as fairly well written FAQs and links to the actual law. It is important to read the actual law since a clever rep will try to bend what the actual law says- and it might not even be that person, it's just what he/she is told to say and do by their superiors. Like "All we have to do is offer to purchase the vehicle back from you at fair market value of $19k." That's BS, but if you accept and give them the car- then it's written in stone. Your mistake for selling it back to them, not theirs for lying.

Yes I'm a fan of Fords, but I am not going to give any slack to any company. These problems are likely related to manufacturing, and I'm sure there are engineers working to alleviate the issues so that the future cars are more reliable. Still, that's no consolation to someone who has a bum car. I see people returning cars under the Lemon law as encouraging the manufacturer to insure these procedural changes are implemented ASAP.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #64
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. The car is currently in the shop getting a 2nd new set (yes, you read that right) of wheel bearings, which are supposedly slightly larger than the original and first new set. Fingers crossed on that. 2nd repair on the vehicle for the one issue. As for the power steering, I haven't had it die on me again yet. The next time it does, I don't care where I am. I'll drive it to the dealer with the power steering shot and leave the car running so I can say "Look, it's dead right now, don't shut the car off until you diagnose the problem". I had to do that with my 2005 Focus when the battery harness failed. The car would likely qualify as a Lemon for the amount of days spent in the shop rather than the number of repairs first. We're coming up on 15 total, which is when I'll have to write a letter to Ford.

Really hoping I don't have to go the Lemon route because the car is awesome without these damned little problems. Even with all the problems I think I bought the best car available for the money and features available. DCT on a hatchback for near 20k? Hell yes!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #65
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,235, Level 35
Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
I had the power steering fail on me Saturday morning...
Quote:
...The car is currently in the shop getting a 2nd new ...
Hey ruthrj,

I can arrange assistance from the Customer Service Manager in your area. In order to do so, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the VIN.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #66
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the offer, but that's ok. I'm already working with Ford Customer Service, not sure what else you'd be able to do for me. I've already been promised an extended service plan for all of the trouble I've been through and I continue to stay in contact with a customer service representative. The 2nd new set of wheel bearings didn't fix the vibration, and the car did log a code for the power steering failure. However, the dealership said that the error was too generic and they failed to find a fix using their troubleshooting tree. I'll hammer on that issue a bit more if the vibration ever gets fixed.

The car is actually still in the shop for the vibration. After the 2nd set of wheel bearings didn't fix the vibration issue last Thursday, I was given a rental. Intermediate bearings were ordered and they failed to arrive today. The dealership said the parts should arrive and be installed tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm going to consult my paperwork and get an official count on how long the car has been in the shop.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #67
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Just got done looking through all of my paperwork. Yup, car will be in the shop a total of 15 days come tomorrow when the 3rd fix will be attempted to fix the vibration issue. Filling out a vehicle defect notification for Ford so I can pursue a Lemon Law claim. Hope this fix does it or I have to send this out on Wednesday
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #68
pwrov1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92333
What I Drive: F250 Diesel

FF Reputation: 1 pwrov1 Good Standing Member
I'd like to know the range of build dates of the cars that have these issues. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #69
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Build date for my vehicle is 10/09/2011.

Not sure what you'd like to do with that, but more than willing to share it with you

Other info you may find relevant for data collection purposes: 2012 Ford Focus, 5-door Hatchback SE, Sterling Gray, Sport Package, Winter Package
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #70
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,235, Level 35
Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35 Points: 3,235, Level: 35
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks for the offer, but that's ok. I'm already working with Ford Customer Service, not sure what else you'd be able to do for me. I've already been promised an extended service plan for all of the trouble I've been through and I continue to stay in contact with a customer service representative...
Hello again ruthrj,

No problem; Iím glad to know youíre in contact with a representative. If you ever need assistance from my part, just give me a shout out.

In the meantime, thanks for your patience as the dealer addresses the concern.

Keep me posted on the results!

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.