Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #51
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlthomas View Post
Yesterday my new Focus displayed the same behavior at 314 miles. Personally, I understand not replacing a steering rack in this instance because I don't think that this is the root problem. I also understand the frustration from feeling powerless in getting this problem solved. But these are not the cars of the 70's. They contain some sophisticated software that may contain bugs. Solving these intermittent problem requires 'DATA'. To assist the engineers in finding the root cause they need information.

I don't believe that anyone has experienced this error at high speed, so this is a clue. I suggest that everyone provide some details, regardless of how insignificant it may seem, in order to produce a pattern that will assist in locating the problem.

Here is what I can remember about mine:

Occurred at around 10 mph within 1 minute after staring the car.
Outside temperature was upper 40 degrees and had rained the night before.
Made a hard left out of a parking space 120ft. before error.
It is hard to correctly remember, since it took me by surprise, but I seem to recall not losing the steering until after the error light was displayed. This makes me think that the loss of steering was more of an effect of the error than a cause of the error.

I will try to be more aware if it happens again. I would also like to know if anyone has had this occur are a speed over 25mph.
Hi tlthomas,

Welcome to the forum!

Shot me a PM with the VIN, current mileage as well as your personal and dealer contact info. I can escalate your concern to the regional Customer Service Manager for assistance. Also, give the dealer a call and set up an appointment.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #52
focus_trend
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93426
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Trend

FF Reputation: 1 focus_trend Good Standing Member
Hi Thomas,

Like you my issues usually happened at relatively low speeds (though once at about 25kph), both in first gear and reverse. The technicians explained that the error code they received should only appear after a substantial collision so something was obviously amiss.

The warning message and steering failure happened simultaneously in each case.

I was hoping that a change of software would be the answer as I wasn't keen to add to landfill, but Ford felt that a new steering rack was the safest most reliable solution.

1000km later and I haven't had a any issues (touch wood).

Good luck :-)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #53
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by focus_trend View Post
Like you my issues usually happened at relatively low speeds (though once at about 25kph), both in first gear and reverse. The technicians explained that the error code they received should only appear after a substantial collision so something was obviously amiss.
The warning message and steering failure happened simultaneously in each case.
I was hoping that a change of software would be the answer as I wasn't keen to add to landfill, but Ford felt that a new steering rack was the safest most reliable solution.
1000km later and I haven't had a any issues (touch wood).
Good luck :-)
Hi focus_trend,

to the Forum!

Excellent to learn your Focus in in good driving condition.

Noemi

Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #54
lutztb
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94952
What I Drive: 2012, Grey, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 lutztb Good Standing Member
Same Issue

I found this forum from doing an internet search on the failure message I got this evening from my 2012 Focus. Two weeks old, 1300 miles (I commute a lot), and I already have a service message?????

I traded in a 2 year old Hyundai because I got tired of getting these things.

I had started the car two minutes earlier, backed out my driveway, and gotten 50 yards up the street at about 15mph when the light came on and my power steering disappeared. It was 27* outside, and dry. I pulled over, restarted the car, message went away. I went to the system check function and everything read clear. I've restarted the car 3 times since without any issues.

The safety of the vehicle is one of the primary reasons I bought this car because I do drive over 120 miles a day and I have a 11 month old who is in it frequently. Being born and raised in MI, my wife was excited about getting a Ford after having Hondas and Hyundais, but this is not helping increase my confidence in the quality of the car.

I plan on calling the dealer first thing Monday and taking it in. The manual says you need not do anything unless it comes back on after reset, but there in absolutely no reason for a car that still has it's "new car smell" to be giving me an error message.

BTW, great forum, hopefully this will get worked out and I can share some positive things here.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #55
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutztb View Post
I found this forum from doing an internet search on the failure message I got this evening from my 2012 Focus. Two weeks old, 1300 miles (I commute a lot), and I already have a service message????
I plan on calling the dealer first thing Monday and taking it in. The manual says you need not do anything unless it comes back on after reset, but there in absolutely no reason for a car that still has it's "new car smell" to be giving me an error message.
BTW, great forum, hopefully this will get worked out and I can share some positive things here.
Morning lutztb,

Welcome to the forum! You'll find some excellent advice and help from your fellow posters.

I'm Ford's residential help on the forum. When Focus owners have a concern I gather certain information and contact the Customer Service Manger to review the case. So, if you like, send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact info to begin the process.

Thanks and again !

Noemi

Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #56
lutztb
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94952
What I Drive: 2012, Grey, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 lutztb Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Morning lutztb,

Welcome to the forum! You'll find some excellent advice and help from your fellow posters.

I'm Ford's residential help on the forum. When Focus owners have a concern I gather certain information and contact the Customer Service Manger to review the case. So, if you like, send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, as well as your personal and dealer contact info to begin the process.

Thanks and again !

Noemi
Thanks. I spoke with my dealership this afternoon, and they recommended that I bring it in immediately if it were to occur again, but stated it could have just been a random glitch. I have experienced isolated idiosyncrasies like that in previous cars, so for the time being I will wait. If it happens in the future, I'll definitely take you up on your offer of assistance. This episode aside, I like the car very much, definitely more than either of our Hyundais.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #57
spiller
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75607
What I Drive: 11 Sangria SE sed, 01 Wht SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 spiller Good Standing Member
It sounds like its a low speed issue where High assistance is being provided. Most occurances posted also indicate soon after starting up, which may indicate that at startup there may be some tension in the steering system.
In the Parts lookup, there are 2 different racks for the 16" wheels. There are steering racks for each specific wheel offered by ford. That's some strangely specific engineering, but does make it likely to have problems in some and not other models.
The steering racks are therefore the likely issue since the other systems are not unique to the SE 16" equipped models that are being reported. (How is that Aussie model equipped?) That may be a build/batch issue for those racks and not a design issue, which our Aussie friends experience supports.
Ford will want to make sure that this problem can be resolved and if they need to go back to the supplier for action, they'll need good data.

An owner with this problem might, instead of leaving directly from the dealership, take a low speed tour of the lot. I think the low speed, constant tight turning may bring the error back up. And if you can, don't turn off the car.

Document every occurance, and as instructed by the owners manual, take it to your dealer. Remind the dealer that you are following the manufacturers instructions by bringing it to the dealer to resolve the error. (See page 272 of the owners manual.)
(Keep Noemi "FordCustomerService" updated.)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #58
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutztb View Post
Thanks. I spoke with my dealership this afternoon, and they recommended that I bring it in immediately if it were to occur again, but stated it could have just been a random glitch. I have experienced isolated idiosyncrasies like that in previous cars, so for the time being I will wait. If it happens in the future, I'll definitely take you up on your offer of assistance. This episode aside, I like the car very much, definitely more than either of our Hyundais.
Hi lutztb,

Great to hear! Keep me posted and let me know if I can be of assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller View Post
......An owner with this problem might, instead of leaving directly from the dealership, take a low speed tour of the lot. I think the low speed, constant tight turning may bring the error back up. And if you can, don't turn off the car.
Document every occurance, and as instructed by the owners manual, take it to your dealer. Remind the dealer that you are following the manufacturers instructions by bringing it to the dealer to resolve the error. (See page 272 of the owners manual.)
(Keep Noemi "FordCustomerService" updated.)
Morning spiller,

Thanks for reaching out to lutztb. The advice is appreciated.

Take care and have a GREAT Valentines Day!

Noemi

Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #59
Jay D.
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96290
What I Drive: 2012 Dark Gray Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Jay D. Good Standing Member
I too have brought my 2012 Focus back for the 'steering assist failure'. I have brought it back three times now. The first two times they claimed they had to clear and reset some codes. (????) and then this time around they had to replace a module (on a brand new car???? really????)...if the problem happens again, I will file a Lemon Law claim in NY State against Ford and see if I can get a replacement vehicle.
I dont blame the people at the dealership or Ford for that matter.....I was just unlucky enough to get that one defective car out of a hundred thousand. I love my Focus and do not want to flip brands...
Old 03-31-2012, 02:09 AM   #60
focus_trend
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93426
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Trend

FF Reputation: 1 focus_trend Good Standing Member
Just an update on my steering issue:

More than 2 months on and not a single occurence of the earlier power steering failure!

Replacing the steering rack (one would would have to agree ?), appears to have fixed it completely.

Couldn't be happier.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->