Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus - Page 14 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #131
BZK6351
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114277
What I Drive: 2012 SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BZK6351 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Focus Update.

I got my car back today, after 15 days at the dealer, mostly waiting for the part to come in.

They replaced the main ECU earlier but the problem reared its ugly head again within 48 hours .

This time they replaced a junction box on the wiring harness. They drove it for 130 miles with no shenanigans and released the car back to me. I put another 50 or so miles on it this afternoon and everything's fine...so far.
I don't want to darken the dealer's doorstep again unless it's for routine service, and I'm pretty sure they feel the same way!

I'd like to give special thanks to Crystal, and Tammy from Ford Customer Care for their professionalism and patience in dealing with me, as well as this forum for making it all possible. Great work!

Keeping fingers crossed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #132
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZK6351 View Post
...I'd like to give special thanks to Crystal, and Tammy from Ford Customer Care for their professionalism and patience in dealing with me, as well as this forum for making it all possible. Great work!

Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks for the kind words, BZK6351! I'm glad to hear that your concerns have been resolved. If you need anything in the future, you know where to find me! :)

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 02-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #133
eepruls
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 142337
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Focus Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 1 eepruls Good Standing Member
Just found this forum and this is my first post. I bought a 2013 Focus SE Hatchack in late October. At the beginning of December I came out of work and started my car only to find this steering assist failure with less than 1000 km. Unfortunately my steering would not come back even with restarting it. A few days later I brought it into my dealer who would not return any of my emails (um, it's 2013 not 1998!) nor did their 'online service appointment' even work (no confirmation email or interest in the fact that I chose 'email' as my primary contact on their own form).

Anyways, I was without my new car for a couple of days and wasn't offered any sort of courtesy car or anything. Took the bus from the dealer to work. Really disappointing experience overall. You'd think they'd want to get a new Ford client (who came from Honda) back in their new car and feeling that their purchase wasn't a mistake. Perhaps a quick car wash would be a nice touch. Or removal of the plastic seat cover and cardboard foot protector on the floor. Or how about warming it up before I come? Nope. After trying to get some info about what was wrong, the entire steering rack needed to be replaced. Got in my car and left. Sure didn't make me feel valued whatsoever.

Now I'm experiencing creaking/groaning sounds from under the car when I drive. Yet another thing that needs to be fixed. Am I questioning my purchase? You betcha. I shouldn't be worried about what's going to go next with only 2000 km on the vehicle. Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant! I needed to vent a little! :)
Old 07-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #134
Pontiac Dude
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 174593
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Pontiac Dude Good Standing Member
Power assist issue

Just found this site when looking up info on P.S. assist issues and joined.

I purchased a 2012 Focus in Oct of 2011. Very rarely drive it. Less then 15,000 miles so far.
Just recently the PS went out going down the road and glad I wasn't in the turn I negotiated doing 60 mph at the time. Made it home & had it towed to the dealership and it was working when they started it. They had it for 2 days and the tech driving it back and forth for 2 days. Nothing. They said they couldn't fix it if it isn't doing it even thou the code showed. Have only 500 miles since.

Soooooooooooooooo. Is there a fix yet after 3 YEARS???????? and many other having this issue? Doesn't seem like a one off or minor rare issue.

My wife doesn't have the arm strength to man handle it like I did. Especially if at high speed and thru a turn. BTW: PS not working is a hellava lot different then actual manual steering.

What are my options if it happens again and no fix???????

BTW: Love the car, averages 35.5 mpg overall and rides nice. Use it more for longer drives.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:55 PM   #135
MrTimmy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118410
What I Drive: 2012, Red, Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 MrTimmy Good Standing Member
After several visits to a couple different dealers AND getting the Ford Rep involved, I finally got resolution.

In my case, they replaced the Steering Rack and I've not had another power assist fault or loss of steering event.

Hope my experience helps you.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #136
Mk2100
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 189282
What I Drive: 2012 red ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Mk2100 Good Standing Member
Hello, I bought a 2012 ford focus used with about 24,000 miles on it. The car has been great, until recently. In the span of about a week I have lost faith in my car. I commute to work about 140 miles round trip sometimes in heavy traffic. I've had the power steering assist failure happen to me twice now. Once on the streets traveling about 25 mph, and once on the highway at about 65 miles per hour. It scared the crap out of me. The car has about 60,000 miles on it now and I depend on it for everything.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #137
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk2100 View Post
I've had the power steering assist failure[. . . ]

Does anyone know of a fix for this?
Better get out your change purse, all of those issues on here were fixed by replacing the steering gear.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:50 PM   #138
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
... I've had the power steering assist failure happen to me twice now. Once on the streets traveling about 25 mph, and once on the highway at about 65 miles per hour. It scared the crap out of me. The car has about 60,000 miles on it now and I depend on it for everything...
Have you been to the dealer about this? Please let me know so I can see how to best assist.

Meagan

Old 09-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #139
Mk2100
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 189282
What I Drive: 2012 red ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 Mk2100 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordService View Post
Have you been to the dealer about this? Please let me know so I can see how to best assist.

Meagan
Thank you for your reply Meagan. I contacted all star ford in Pittsburg ca. And a service rep was supposed to contact me and I have yet to hear from them. Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

I bought the car from a carmax dealer in Roseville ca. But I was told by a mechanic friend to contact the dealer in regards to this, because the modules and things like that are highly specialized. It's very hard to trust the car right now, especially since I almost lost control on the freeway.

I'm hoping the dealer will reply to my inquiry soon.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:21 PM   #140
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your reply Meagan. I contacted all star ford in Pittsburg ca. And a service rep was supposed to contact me and I have yet to hear from them. Any help you could provide would be much appreciated.

I bought the car from a carmax dealer in Roseville ca. But I was told by a mechanic friend to contact the dealer in regards to this, because the modules and things like that are highly specialized. It's very hard to trust the car right now, especially since I almost lost control on the freeway.

I'm hoping the dealer will reply to my inquiry soon.
Once your dealer calls back & you have an appointment, please send me a private message with the following: VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location (as well as appointment date.)

Meagan

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->