Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #111
gav0077
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114892
What I Drive: ford focus estate 2012

FF Reputation: 1 gav0077 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy steering failure at 70 kmph

hi

I am new here,

we have a new (feb 2012) focus estate 2 ltr desil (22,000 km on the clock) which 4 days ago had a complete power steering failure ten mins into a journey whilst driving at 70kmph, a warning sound and indication occurred at the same time as the failure.

very scary, the car was very difficult to control, if we had been on a bend in the road we would have crashed.

When we restarted the car the fault was gone

ford have taken the car in to a local ford garage under the warranty but as it works fine now I am just expected to collect it and drive as if nothing has happened !!!

They have made no repair or change to the car, the local garage wont even say if they saw an error code.

my wife is too scared to drive the car, it seems we are expected to drive the car every day with the possibility it could happen again !!

the extended warranty seems to have been a total waste of money.

Last edited by gav0077; 05-29-2013 at 05:22 AM. Reason: incorrect purchase date
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 PM   #112
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,218, Level 35
Points: 3,218, Level: 35 Points: 3,218, Level: 35 Points: 3,218, Level: 35
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Well I guess I know what car to stay away from buying in the future..........................
Old 05-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #113
gav0077
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114892
What I Drive: ford focus estate 2012

FF Reputation: 1 gav0077 Good Standing Member
a follow up to power steering failure at 70kmph

so following our break down Ford took the car to a garage and then to another further away (Pamier) where they found no fault (or could not repeat the fault), during all this time (11 days) we were provided a replacement car booked buy Ford at Avis.

Yesterday I was told I could collect my car from Ford Pamier and returned the hire car.

We have now been told as there is" no Fault" we will be charged for the replacement car !!!!

So from nearly crashing at high speed in a new car under Full extended warranty due to complete steering failure, we are expected to pay for no repair that took 11 days to complete !!!

This decision I have been told was made by Ford Customer Relations, an organisation that is apparently focused on generating poor customer relations and customer Dissatisfaction.

so a question ... If I breakdown this way again is there any way I can get the error code off my car computer before it disappears at my Ford garage.

This my first Ford, it was great fun to drive, now my wife is too frightened to drive it in case the fault reoccurs , and if it does.... I know it will cost me to have it not fixed.

I have protested that the charge for the replacement car is unfair as I was told the car was taken under warranty by Ford, but hey who am I ?

Just the poor sod who bought the wrong car !!!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #114
bespurcell
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60917
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 2 bespurcell Good Standing Member
I have a 2011 ford fusion with the same prob. It doesn't reset though when I turn off the key and restart it. I had to drive it home from my brother's house like this (120 miles). Definitely not a fun trip. I almost ran off the road when this happened as I was making a turn off the highway onto a side street. I will be calling the ford dealership tomorrow. My car has 46,??? miles on it so it's no longer under warranty. Really disappointed after googling this prob and seeing how ford is handling it.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #115
bespurcell
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60917
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 2 bespurcell Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bespurcell View Post
I have a 2011 ford fusion with the same prob. It doesn't reset though when I turn off the key and restart it. I had to drive it home from my brother's house like this (120 miles). Definitely not a fun trip. I almost ran off the road when this happened as I was making a turn off the highway onto a side street. I will be calling the ford dealership tomorrow. My car has 46,??? miles on it so it's no longer under warranty. Really disappointed after googling this prob and seeing how ford is handling it.
Follow up.
I took my car in to the dealer today. My car had the CPO warranty so it was covered. They said it was the steering gear. The part is coming in tomorrow and should be fixed by that afternoon. My dealership gave excellent service. Very pleased with them. I'm just glad it was under warranty. Part # AE5Z-3504-CE is what they're replacing. I hope the new part has been updated to fix the prob. The service writer said it was from a different supplier so I hope so.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #116
BZK6351
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114277
What I Drive: 2012 SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 BZK6351 Good Standing Member
Still happening

Still getting the "Steering assist fault, service required" warnings and I've just about had it with this car.

It was fine for about a month then, out of the blue, it started happening again.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, it happens when I'm going straight, when I'm in the twistys, when the cruise control is on, when it isn't, when I first start it, or like a few weeks ago, half way back from a 200 mile trip to Reno.

Hell, it did it seven times on my way to work this morning but not so much as a peep on the way home.

It's just so infuriating that Ford's response basically amounts to a dismissive shrug of the shoulder and a "We have no idea".

I've had three Honda's since 1987 and, combined, they haven't been in the shop as much as this Focus has in less than two years.

Yes, I have driven a Ford...lately
Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #117
BZK6351
Focus Rookie

It's worse now.
Not only the "steering assist fault" warning, but the "engine malfunction" warning, the traction control light, the speedometer needle dropping to zero for a few seconds, the "brake" light, the airbag light...all these things happening intermittently for no apparent reason.
The car continues to run beautifully with no power loss or any hesitation.
Only the steering assist fault has any affect because the steering does actually lose power.
WTF? Do I need an automotive exorcist? "The power of Christ compels you!!!"
Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #118
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZK6351 View Post
It's worse now.
Not only the "steering assist fault" warning, but the "engine malfunction" warning, the traction control light, the speedometer needle dropping to zero for a few seconds, the "brake" light, the airbag light...all these things happening intermittently for no apparent reason.
The car continues to run beautifully with no power loss or any hesitation.
Only the steering assist fault has any affect because the steering does actually lose power.
WTF? Do I need an automotive exorcist? "The power of Christ compels you!!!"
Send me your info in a PM, BZK6351; I want to do what I can to assist. In your message, be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name so I can get to work. :)

Thanks!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #119
dieselboy77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61381
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST ST3

Points 669, Level 13
Points: 669, Level: 13 Points: 669, Level: 13 Points: 669, Level: 13
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 dieselboy77 Good Standing Member
i had a same problem with my 2007 jetta , my power assist constantly went out when the temp reached 70 degrees
Old 08-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #120
BZK6351
Focus Rookie

Took it to the dealer on Friday the 23rd after yet another series of warnings.
I was told not to turn it off because that clears the codes from the computer.
They had it for almost two hours and performed a PMI, basically clearing all the codes and re-installing all the software.

Not a peep on the way home or on the way to work Saturday.

On the way home Saturday? I got the "Steering assist fault" warning 17 times, a new record! The traction control light wouldn't go off, the speedometer needle dropped to zero two times that I noticed.

It did it so many times Saturday evening that I lost count. It won't go two miles without doing it. It's doing it more now than before!
I guess I'm going back to the dealer Monday.

Seriously, this is getting old.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.