Ford grinding noises - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
mikeytrix
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119047
What I Drive: 2012, red. focus

FF Reputation: 1 mikeytrix Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford grinding noises

Brought my car in this morning for the third time in 6 months to address the same grinding noise at 2000 rpm. The service department gave me the same run around that they will look at the car but insist these grinding noises are normal. I've looked around this forum and plenty of focus owners have had the same problem and got it fixed. Is it possible that I'm the only one who can't get it fixed? I've already spoke to the ford service rep on this forum and it seems like they will be my only hope of getting this problem fixed because my dealership are not willing to help at all...anyone else currently having these issues?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: '03 LX SPI, '10 Chevy HHR

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
if a stealership is balking at warranty work, take your car, and your future business to a different dealer.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
BillyKeith
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90032
What I Drive: 2010 white suede SE

FF Reputation: 1 BillyKeith Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeytrix View Post
Brought my car in this morning for the third time in 6 months to address the same grinding noise at 2000 rpm. The service department gave me the same run around that they will look at the car but insist these grinding noises are normal. I've looked around this forum and plenty of focus owners have had the same problem and got it fixed. Is it possible that I'm the only one who can't get it fixed? I've already spoke to the ford service rep on this forum and it seems like they will be my only hope of getting this problem fixed because my dealership are not willing to help at all...anyone else currently having these issues?
We basically had to pitch a fit in order for our dealer to try something different after going through the usual as described on here by others. Got the old "it's normal" a lot. They finally agreed to replace the clutch (auto). It was beautiful..............for about 3 weeks and now we notice the same grinding noises in the same lower gears during stop start driving and the hotter the tranny gets the more you hear the noise. I don't believe this issue will EVER get fixed. We're in the early years of a car loan and cannot afford to take a hit if we trade it in. My family has been lifelong Ford owners but this experience has been extremely bad. Sorry, wish I could have offered better news.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyKeith View Post
We basically had to pitch a fit in order for our dealer to try something different after going through the usual as described on here by others. Got the old "it's normal" a lot. They finally agreed to replace the clutch (auto). It was beautiful..............for about 3 weeks and now we notice the same grinding noises...
Hello BillyKeith,

I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager to assist. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime contact phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll take it from there.

Todd

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 10-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
ZippyZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46007
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 ZippyZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I had a problem like yours in the 2002 ZX2 I used it have. Same run around from the dealers. I ended up calling Ford directly and soon after that the dealer called me to set up an appointment to change my tranny. Ended up being the second gear synchro that was bad.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 116356
What I Drive: 1908, Black, Model T

FF Reputation: 1 FordServiceCA Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeytrix View Post
Hi mikeytrix,

As you will see in the PM I sent you, let's wait and see what the CSM says. Another option would be to get a second opinion from another dealer. Either way, your CSM is in the best position to advise you on that.

Bianca

p: 800.565.FORD
t: @FordServiceCA @FordFocus @FordCanada
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/FordCanada
Old 10-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I moved this to the MKIII TSB, Recalls and Problems area since it is highly discussed in this section. I hope it all gets worked out for you.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 10-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Marine
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105885
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Marine Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyKeith View Post
We basically had to pitch a fit in order for our dealer to try something different after going through the usual as described on here by others. Got the old "it's normal" a lot. They finally agreed to replace the clutch (auto). It was beautiful..............for about 3 weeks and now we notice the same grinding noises in the same lower gears during stop start driving and the hotter the tranny gets the more you hear the noise. I don't believe this issue will EVER get fixed. We're in the early years of a car loan and cannot afford to take a hit if we trade it in. My family has been lifelong Ford owners but this experience has been extremely bad. Sorry, wish I could have offered better news.
Well....Billy, my noise and grinding are now back after replacing the clutches. Worked great and now unfortunately, the problem is back with a vengeance.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
VonKaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26749
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 VonKaiser Good Standing Member
Seeing all these topics and troubles like this makes me think I made a HUGE mistake buying my 4th Focus. I hope I can make it through my 36,000mi/3yr warranty period before I trade it in without the serious drivetrain problems.

Are there any numbers out there of Focus owners who've had their cars bought back through lemon law / customer service? I'm curious of the percentages of these being bought back because of continual problems.

I feel really bad for you guys in this topic (among others) and for us all Focus owners having this sort of trouble. With exception of my 2003 SVT the other 2 Focus models I've owned were perfect and had ZERO issues. My family on both sides literally has bought over a dozen Focus models over the years and the only issues anyone has ever had was my SVT's Getrag transmission (POS) and now my new 2013 Focus' sync and transmission.

Good luck to the original topic poster and to you Marine. :)
Old 10-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 slybarman Good Standing Member
As I have posted before, the service manager at my dealership told me that Ford isn't exactly sure of the cause of the grinding sound and does not have an actual fix for it. Not saying he is right or wrong, but that is what he said.

The grinding is not as bad on mine since the clutches were replaced, but the shuddering has returned. It is also possible the grinding has diminished only because it is much cooler out now, and it will return next summer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks