Critical Engine Failure - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
stuartf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 174297
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Auto 5DR Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 1 stuartf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Critical Engine Failure

Hello all,

Long time lurker here, decided to eventually join the forums, as the community seems awesome, and there is a lot of info here.

Got a bit of an issue here...

Background info. Bought my car end of June 2013, now have about 10460KM on it.

My car apparently ended up dying on the way to work. Came up to an intersection, Hill Start Assist warning something came on (even though I don't have it, it's a Auto), everything went red, then Critical Engine Failure. Car died instantly. Electronics still work, but it's dead. Won't even turn over. I shut the car off, let it reset, and tried to start it up again. Nope, stone dead. I managed to get a Tow to the dealership where I bought it, but they won't be able to look at it until Monday...

Some further info. Last year I had to have the Grill Actuator Shutter something replaced, and the Alternator replaced. That was at... 300KMs. Ever since then it's been running a bit weird, but nothing that was worth mentioning.

I have taken it for all the services, and nothing has been modified to the engine or exhaust system (I do have speakers, a sub and an amp installed, but it's installed properly, fuse and such).

Could it have been possible that the replacement alternator they put in may have caused damage overtime (it was done by another Ford dealership)? Can a critical engine failure be triggered by something as small as a coil pack, or would that just initiate the "Engine needs to be serviced" warning and still run? I guess I'm still new to all the electronics, what can cause what, and what could actually cause an engine to just... Die?

And yes, first time owner here. Love the car otherwise.

EDIT: Not sure if this is in the right thread or not... There are a lot of places to post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Without further troubleshooting, we can only make wild guesses that you will not be able to confirm.

It's possible the engine is fine, and you have some sort of electrical issue.

It's possible the engine is seized, which would not be caused by the alternator.

Maybe the battery is just dead, and the alternator wasn't charging it.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Moved to the MkIII tsb, recall & problems section.

You'll find the most info. on similar problems in this area.

I've seen similar problems reported, with more than one final answer. Best guess for your particular description is an electronics issue, some with this description needed a new TCM (Transmission Control Module) as the warranty repair.

S.R. #275

Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 5 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
So there's not a CEL on the dashboard...
Keep us update! And good luck
Old 07-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
stuartf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 174297
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Auto 5DR Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 1 stuartf Good Standing Member
I didn't even think about taking a picture of the warning. I'll see if I can convince the dealership/service techs to take a picture and show what it actually comes up with. I like to have pictures of the issues anyways for the record to have on file, so maybe that will convince them to take a picture on my behalf.

But yeah, in the middle of the TRIP display, all it displays is "Critical Engine Failure" with the OK button, which does nothing. The Check Engine Light is also displayed as the standard yellow(?) color IIRC. It may be red... Once again I'll see if I can get a picture of the display.

Hopefully Monday they bring good news and it's only a minor issue and not a major issue. I really don't want them to say "Oh, it will take a week or two to work on it". Regardless, I may have to give Ford Canada a call and explain my dissatisfaction with the issues I've had with the car.

On a side note, a Ford Fusion is not as fun to drive as I thought in terms of a rental vehicle...

Bookmarks & Social Networks