2002 SE Front suspension diagram?? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
rfourt
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 87521
What I Drive: 2002 Red SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 rfourt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2002 SE Front suspension diagram??

Has anyone got a decent "exploded" diagram of the 2002 SE Z front suspension (preferably with legend).

I've purchased a used (duh) 2002 Wagon and the front end is making all kinds of noises.

Now I'm one of those nuts that figures "hell, if I'm pulling off everything anyway, I might as well rebuild the whole damn thing."

Everything is OE and I'm thinking: struts, cv/half-shafts, upper and lowers, bearings, etc.

Yes, I'm nuts...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Agreed on the "Nuts" part....

With a simple description of WHAT noises, and WHEN they happen, we can PROBABLY tell you what is worn out, and what needs to be replaced...

I'd start with ball joints (you buy the whole swing arm, and it's cheaper/easier than separate joints, PLUS you get new bushings that way).

Second, tie rod ends - since they are probably a bit loose....

Third, the sway bar links are a CHEAP fix that solves LOTS of "noises" - Ford's have been redesigned and are the best, but the Autozone, Moog, etc. are greaseable and around 20 bucks a set.... I was short on cash when I needed some, and the lifetime autozone ones are working fine....

Unless you are getting clunking noises when the steering is turned, the half shafts are probably OK (unless you see ripped boots).

A constant "whine" MAY be a sign of wheel bearing issues, but NOT necessarily... I had ONE particular tire (installed by the Ford dealer I bought it from) that sounded EXACTLY like a bad bearing... Swapped it to the rear.. Noise gone....

Luck!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

FF Reputation: 44 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
this thread should help you out some

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198264

good luck!
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Advocare 24 Day Challenge!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
rfourt
Focus Rookie

I'm pretty much getting all of the "bad" noises; the hard clunk when turning wheels to the limit, constant "purring" from the left front wheel (I've rotate tires, no affect), metal to metal pops when hitting bumps. I think it's a combination of problems due to age and being "rode hard and put up wet."

The cars got 140K on it and though this is my first Focus, my experience with other FWD cars tells me that (especially if I'm doing CVs anyway), it's worth the cost of the parts to replace the other worn-out or potentially worn-out components. If I'm under there removing all the bolts and nuts for one job, I don't want to go through the same labor 3 months down the road to replace something that could have been done the first time around.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
rfourt
Focus Rookie

MY GAWD! That's perfect! Excellent thread.

Thanks very much for the post. Believe it or not, I searched the forum for about an hour trying get that kind of "hit" but could never find it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks