Removing spare tire - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Silver12Hatch
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90336
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Silver12Hatch Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Removing spare tire

Has anyone removed their spare. I haven't even looked at it yet so i'm not sure if i have a full size or a donut. I was thinking about taking it out to lower the weight and hopefully get a little better mpg's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Full size spare does NOT allow rear floor to lay flat. The small spare and the floor is flat (is my understanding at least.)
I know i have a small spare since I never paid for a full size spare. And the rear of my hatch is flat. not bulging. (no way are they going to give you a $300+ wheel and a $130+ tire plus a inflate pressure gizmo for free..)
Added; just to say. With good tires it is much rarer to get a flat tire than with cheap tires.
But do avoid the spare in a can stuff. it may ruin your tire sensor, and a lot of places will NOT change a tire filled with that stuff nor repair it, or charge a bundle extra to have to deal with it.
But Do carry an inflation device, like a 12v air compressor. (either the motorized type, or a hand pump.) The usual 'nail in a tire' can be inflated enough to get to a tire repair place. even if you have to stop and fill it a few times. Been there, and done that. really. I had the spare, but i just didn't want to change it, so i filled the tire (using a hand pump) and drove for a mile, then checked tire, refilled, and drove the rest of the way to a place i knew.

Last edited by Elizabeth; 09-28-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I'm debating whether I should remove my full-size spare or replace it with a mini-spare. Replacing it with a 12V air pump could work as well. I just hate the idea of being stranded on the side of the highway with no tire. I have AAA as well, but I'd have to get a tow home since they don't give away spare tires - which isn't as helpful if I'm on my way to work or something.

The extra 4" of depth in the trunk would be nice too.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
scottjl
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86588
What I Drive: 2012 StrlGry 5dr Ti

FF Reputation: 1 scottjl Good Standing Member
Erm. The full size spare doesn't make your floor "bulge" in any way. I have the FS spare (it comes with the handling package) and the trunk floor is raised by about 3". You'll only really notice this when folding the rear seats totally flat because there is a drop from the trunk area into the cabin.

The floor of the trunk area is is completely flat and you wouldn't know there was a full-sized spare tire unless you lifted up the carpet and looked.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Erm. The full size spare doesn't make your floor "bulge" in any way. I have the FS spare (it comes with the handling package) and the trunk floor is raised by about 3". You'll only really notice this when folding the rear seats totally flat because there is a drop from the trunk area into the cabin.

The floor of the trunk area is is completely flat and you wouldn't know there was a full-sized spare tire unless you lifted up the carpet and looked.
Yeah, I've also got the Ti handling package with FS spare. The trunk looks nice - could be awkward when folding seats down - but who cares.

I think removing it (for me) is more about weight reduction / gas mileage than increased cargo space.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
merruse
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89251
What I Drive: 2012 Ink Blue Style

FF Reputation: 3 merruse Good Standing Member
Lets talk about luggage...

I had took some photos with all options.
Full size;

Height : around 37 cm . ~ 14.5 inch

Without carpet

Spacer height is 13 cm.. ~ 5.11 inch

Spare removed

Without spacers;

Semi-size spare;

Total height is around 44 cm.. ~ 17.32 inch/ Diff :7 cm ~ around 2.75 inch

Without spare

Height is 50 cm (20 inch) right now. This is seriously difference. But you will need new carpet..

What about displacement?

Full size spare 277 lt
Semi size spare 316 lt
Without spare around 363liters
Old 09-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
TehMark
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87530
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 TehMark Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I'm debating whether I should remove my full-size spare or replace it with a mini-spare. Replacing it with a 12V air pump could work as well. I just hate the idea of being stranded on the side of the highway with no tire. I have AAA as well, but I'd have to get a tow home since they don't give away spare tires - which isn't as helpful if I'm on my way to work or something.

The extra 4" of depth in the trunk would be nice too.
You got 5 years of roadside assistance from Ford when you bought the car just so you know :)
Old 09-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehMark View Post
You got 5 years of roadside assistance from Ford when you bought the car just so you know :)
Oh, I know. (Not even sure why I still have AAA - I've never used it for myself, just for some friends.)

As far as not having a spare tire, I'd still have to wait for assistance - what if I have important things to do when I get a flat?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
the weight you drop will not change your MPG much, it is only around 1.3% drop in weight, ~40 lbs tire and ~3000lbs car.

from the limited amount of research that I did a 3-5% drop in weight is about equal to a 1mpg increase in fuel economy, so best case you might see a 0.4mpg increase, but a 0.2 or 0.3mpg increase is the more likely outcome, which if you are getting 30mpg now is a 1% increase.

So I am not saying don't do it, just don't expect a big change, depending on how much you drive maybe a $1 or 2 difference a month, which may or may not be worth the time spent waiting to get a tow if you do have a flat.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
So I am not saying don't do it, just don't expect a big change, depending on how much you drive maybe a $1 or 2 difference a month, which may or may not be worth the time spent waiting to get a tow if you do have a flat.
I think I'll just swap my full-sized for a mini-spare like above (I think I can scrounge one up that'll fit)

If I'm going to do hypermiling, I'll try it on a beater car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks