Turbo Questions - maybe a sticky eventually? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
petik
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 461
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black ZX3

Points 1,447, Level 21
Points: 1,447, Level: 21 Points: 1,447, Level: 21 Points: 1,447, Level: 21
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 petik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Lightbulb Turbo Questions - maybe a sticky eventually?

From reading the same questions over and over about different turbos, i figured i'd try writing something up that may answer most questions for newbies. Here's what i have so far. Please feel free to add/comment/correct to what is added here.

I’m going to try to cover the basic turbo kits available and answer the most common questions asked about turbos in this forum.

So here’s for a short Q/A on turbos:

Q: What is a turbo?
A: Read it, learn it, love it: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Q: What is an intercooler?
A: Again: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo7.htm

Q: I want cheap power, is turbo for me?
A: NO, NO, NO. If you want turbo, expect to spend A LOT of money. A minimum of $4000 by the time your turbo is installed and tuned is to be expected. That’s if you’re doing most of the install and tuning work yourself all on a stock engine.

Q: How about maintenance?
A: If properly installed and tuned, turbocharged cars will not require significantly more maintenance than supercharged or naturally aspirated cars. Some may require you to change oil specifically for the turbo (like the Aerocharger system).

Q: Is my engine more likely to break with a turbo installed?
A: Yes, your engine will be producing more power and heat and thus is more prone to wear and tear. However, this is the case with superchargers as well as hardcore NA applications.

Q: OK, I got the money and I’m ready to buy. Which one?
A: There are several kits available for your Focus. Most of them are only available for a Focus w/Zetec.

Focus-Power – http://www.focus-power.com
This is the most respected kit out there.

Stage I kit is your basic kit that will work well with you mostly stock engine for a reasonable cost of $2795. It does not include an intercooler, but at the low 9psi of boost, you should be fine without one. You will also need to get tuning for this kit and you can purchase an engine management kit from Focus-Power as well adding $850 to the cost. Remember you will need to have this kit tuned once it is installed so reserve some cost there, too.

Stage II kit is for the all out enthusiast. It’s a whopping $5200, but includes an intercooler and the engine management kit. The only extra cost you should expect here is installation and some tuning.

Precision Turbo – http://www.precisionturbo.net
This is another respectable product. This one will run you about $4,000 and includes an intercooler as well as engine management. Some issues have been reported with this kit, they include using small injectors and an electric oil pump because of a bad turbo placement. Overall, however, this is a pretty good kit for the money.

Aerocharger – discontinued
This is a rather inexpensive turbocharger, sold both with and without an intercooler, however it is no longer manufactured. You may be able to get your hands on a used one though. You can expect gains between 50 and 80whp.

Gude – http://www.gude.com/
I don’t even recommend you ask about this kit on the forum. These kits are poorly manufactured and are responsible for many blown engines. Problems include poor tuning, no engine management chip, small injectors, small diameter downpipe, and the list goes on.

Q: Anything else I need?
A: Well, there are several “optional” devices that you can purchase for your turbo setup.

Gauges - Set of gauges to monitor boost, exhaust temperature, oil pressure and air/fuel ratio is a good way to monitor your new setup and possibly prevent a “disaster”.

Blow-off valve – this is what makes that cool sound on turbo cars… BOV relieves the pressure that is created between the throttle body and your turbo while you shift (and the throttle body is being closed rather quickly).

'99 F350 PWS 4x4 Dually - chipped, 4" exhaust, intake, stg1 injectors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 04:13 AM   #2
mofocus
mefocuslongtime

Fan#: 5
What I Drive: Beltfed,extra pullified,weeemachine

FF Reputation: 6 mofocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
good start, but the only thing keeping me from making a turbo or SC sticky is theres soooo much info and sooo many ppl disagree
Old 10-08-2004, 11:45 PM   #3
#1RoushZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8908
What I Drive: 2004 silver roush focus

FF Reputation: 1 #1RoushZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i think you can make your own turbo cheaper than 3000-4000.
the only big cost that you cant get around is engine management.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:01 AM   #4
petik
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,447, Level 21
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Albeit that is true, the FAQ is meant for people with basic questions about turbo. If you have the knowledge and experience to build your own turbo, you will not need this FAQ.

Lastly, let's not forget that building your own turbo will result in your car not being daily drivable for at least several weeks and most people can't afford that to start with. Thus, if you really want to build your own turbo and the focus is your only car, buy a beater first.....and i think this may just push you over the 4k mark
Old 10-11-2004, 10:03 AM   #5
petik
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,447, Level 21
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
mofocus, i agree that there's a lot of information, but it is also quite annoying to see the same questions asked over and over. i think at least some of it could get answered with a sticky.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
scott77

Fan#:
No one reads stickies anyway. The ones that do know to hit the button!

Bookmarks & Social Networks