18" vs 17" Rims - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #41
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
And I'm staying with 18s to not spend money, but would love to go to 17s and get rid of those limiter shims. I was quoted 300 bucks to remove them. I'll live with the radius for 300 bucks.
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #42
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
I am very surprised that nobody has mentioned this yet, but there are many people on FF that have SE's (no steering limiter) and have 18" rims, some that are even wider than stock with no rub reported. I think there is a general consensus that ford included the steering limiters to mitigate a very rare possibility of rubbing. IE, bottom out suspension at full lock.

If rubbing is the only thing holding you back from getting 18's, don't let that stop you.

Also, on a side note. The steering limiters are a part of the steering rack itself, as there are different PN's for the steering racks of SE vs. Ti. There are plastic or metal collars on the inside of that rack that limit the turning.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #43
kevinxb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96008
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kevinxb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Agreed. I picked up a set of ST 18s off a forum member and have had no rubbing issues on my Titanium.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #44
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
Also, small tidbit... the 17"s will net you a much nicer turning radius, as the 18"s require a steering limiter to avoid rubbing.
I went from 17's to 18's on my car and to my knowledge I don't have any limiters. My setup doesn't rub at all either, even if the wheels are turned full lock. Might have something to do with the offset though, I'm not entirely sure.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #45
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 5 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
I went from 17's to 18's on my car and to my knowledge I don't have any limiters.
All the cars have limiters of some sort. They work as a soft stop, otherwise the steering would make a clanging sound at full lock.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #46
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr72 View Post
All the cars have limiters of some sort. They work as a soft stop, otherwise the steering would make a clanging sound at full lock.
My research bears this out. There are plastic "c" rings over the end of the steering rack by the tie rod ends, the Titanium Handling Package just has thicker ones restricting it more. It isn't just a removal or addition, it's a "swap".
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #47
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumFred View Post
I don't know how you do this. Half the time they're hidden because it's dark and the other half they're filled with water or you don't see them because you're shoulder checking or changing lanes. Slowing down isn't always an option. Especially, with the tailgating drivers we have in Ottawa.
i have to agree,, the holes are often hidden... a couple years back in my '01 focus w/ tsw 16"wheels and 50 series tires i smacked into a pothole on A15 in quebec in the dark.. the hole was small but deep and filled w/ water so it blended in w/ the wet blacktop...I was goin about 75mph and wham! bent the hell out of the rim but thankfully zero tire damage.... I had to head all the way home at 40mph going thumpa thumpa, thumpa....lol... and had to replace the now flat faced wheel as it was not repairable....I will give kudos to both firestone as the tire suffered no damage and to TSW which makes very strong wheels as they have to adhere to european safety standards for wheels, which many chinese manufactured wheels do now meet.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #48
sweetbacons
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 109489
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 sweetbacons Good Standing Member
Depends on how you drive your car, I have 16 in but I'm getting 18... I don't drive recklessly but I do want to drive at speeds.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #49
xwhit3devilx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86578
What I Drive: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 xwhit3devilx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
My SE came with 16 inch wheels and I've been very happy with them. Granted they do look a bit small, but the comfort is excellent and the handling isn't bad at all. Especially since I swapped the dreadful stock SFE Contis for a set of V-rated Michelins and installed the Steeda rear swaybar. Oh and yes, 16 inch wheels weigh less and are therefore faster.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:50 AM   #50
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey D View Post
I went from 17's to 18's on my car and to my knowledge I don't have any limiters. My setup doesn't rub at all either, even if the wheels are turned full lock. Might have something to do with the offset though, I'm not entirely sure.
Yes, your TD wheels have an offset that pushes your wheel farther outboard. That mitigates the need for the limiters.

I haven't heard of anyone swapping to OEM 18's and having an incidence of rub. I'm sure that the possibility is there, it is just most likely on an engineers drawing that shows the full range of motion of the components. Being at full lock and full compression would seem to be an all around bad situation, with or without limiters.

Another benefit to having 17's (besides comfort, mpg's, sound) is the available options of tires to run on them. The larger the wheel, the fewer the options there are for tire fitment. I've been noticing this more now that I'm in the search for new tires.

I would rather have 17's to drive on everyday for pretty much every reason other than looks. I prefer the 18's in how they look. I'm a person that is willing to sacrifice comfort for looks, so I will be keeping 18's on it. If I had to drive long distances or for long periods of time, I would ditch them in a heartbeat. I made a 6+ hour trip with the 18's once...I don't look forward to driving to FocusFest...

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->