2012 Focus: special spark plugs? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #21
Jdog913

Fan#: 84424
What I Drive: .

FF Reputation: 3 Jdog913 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
For you oil filter nerds. (I know your out there)

Oil Filter Review

Best Oil Filter Comparison.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #22
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Has anyone had the oil change message come up? I have 9,000 miles and no message about changing the oil. So much for a "smart" oil change system.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #23
ScallaDaBalla
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82428
What I Drive: Future - 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 ScallaDaBalla Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus103161 View Post
I have been using Amsoil in all my cars, the first being a 77 Maverick. It was installed in all my new cars (85 Mustang GT, 88 Taurus LX, 94 Cougar XR-7, 2000 Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, and now my 12 Focus). All these cars had 25k oil drains (except the Excursion, which went over 100k on its oil drains), and all the engines NEVER had a problem. If you haven't tried it, you should. Thier products are the highest quality (and if you didn't know, it came out 4 years before Mobil 1). They make thier own filters too. Check it out at www.amsoil.com.
Amsoil is the first oil to come out with a sythentic oil. I do agree it is really good oil. Only good things have been spoken about it.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #24
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

Points 12,594, Level 73
Points: 12,594, Level: 73 Points: 12,594, Level: 73 Points: 12,594, Level: 73
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Iridium? cool.
My Contour SVT was 'supposed' to be 100,000mi interval for plugs. No way. After 30,000 the engine was very happy to get new plugs. (particularly in the front bank, where the spark was reversed, so the ceter electrode wore out fast.) (( in the Focus, I think all four are direct spark ,so the ground wears more. I am not certain about that though. You want the ground to lose material, not the center))

For the filter, I just use the Motorcraft with the 's' silicon valve thing.
Filters are pretty much the same as the videos showed on the link above. The major difference is price and name.
So I buy the Motorcraft as they are decent, and only $4. The oil is a different matter, and i use Mobil One, and now the Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy oil. It is only in 0W20 but the '0' is just better cold fluidity than '5', and since i live in the Northern climate. no problem. (I am more of the buy good oil and change it, than buy a premium filter and leave it in forever!!)
So far i have changed my oil twice. First at 1,000mi but I could not get the OEM filter off. So I skipped changing it. Then i decided to change it again !!! at 2,000mi and also did the filter. So now I am set for awhile!
Yeah I am crazy and wasted resources.. At least i recycled the used oil instead of pouring it down the sewer..
Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #25
Dgc333
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85422
What I Drive: 2012, candy blue, SEL

Points 750, Level 14
Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14 Points: 750, Level: 14
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dgc333 Good Standing Member
Being that Amsoil came into being in the early 70's and synthetic motor oils have been around since World War 2 they are hardly the first.

Plus the first oil that Amsoil sold was just a repackaged MIL Spec oil that was being produced by a number of suppliers for use in military vehicles and one of those suppliers was Mobil.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #26
locutus103161
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89372
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium, Candy Red

FF Reputation: 1 locutus103161 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Iridium? cool.
My Contour SVT was 'supposed' to be 100,000mi interval for plugs. No way. After 30,000 the engine was very happy to get new plugs. (particularly in the front bank, where the spark was reversed, so the ceter electrode wore out fast.) (( in the Focus, I think all four are direct spark ,so the ground wears more. I am not certain about that though. You want the ground to lose material, not the center))

For the filter, I just use the Motorcraft with the 's' silicon valve thing.
Filters are pretty much the same as the videos showed on the link above. The major difference is price and name.
So I buy the Motorcraft as they are decent, and only $4. The oil is a different matter, and i use Mobil One, and now the Mobil One Advanced Fuel Economy oil. It is only in 0W20 but the '0' is just better cold fluidity than '5', and since i live in the Northern climate. no problem. (I am more of the buy good oil and change it, than buy a premium filter and leave it in forever!!)
So far i have changed my oil twice. First at 1,000mi but I could not get the OEM filter off. So I skipped changing it. Then i decided to change it again !!! at 2,000mi and also did the filter. So now I am set for awhile!
Yeah I am crazy and wasted resources.. At least i recycled the used oil instead of pouring it down the sewer..
The Iridium plugs used in the Focus also have a small piece of Platinum on the ground electrode to reduce the wear there. They SHOULD last 100k.

I live in Virginia, where it gets quite hot, but I also use Amsoil 0W-20. It should give better fuel economy than 5W-20 (most of the hybrids want 0W-20). I am currently using the Wix filter, but will change that to the Amsoil filter at 12,500 miles. Yes, I change my oil every 25,000 miles. I have been doing that for over 25 years now, and no engine has ever died or gotten sludged up.

I connected up my Snap-On scanner to the car, and read the fuel pressure. It is 450 psi AT IDLE!!!! Over 1000 psi at speed. I would advise NOT playing around with the fuel system on these cars unless you know what you are doing!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #27
DougC
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: The biggest mistake I've ever made.

FF Reputation: 1 DougC Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
Has anyone had the oil change message come up? I have 9,000 miles and no message about changing the oil. So much for a "smart" oil change system.
Considering that the "normal" mileage for an oil change can range up to 10,000 miles....

2012 Ingot Silver Focus SE 5spd w/ Sport and Winter pkgs.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #28
locutus103161
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89372
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium, Candy Red

FF Reputation: 1 locutus103161 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgc333 View Post
Being that Amsoil came into being in the early 70's and synthetic motor oils have been around since World War 2 they are hardly the first.

Plus the first oil that Amsoil sold was just a repackaged MIL Spec oil that was being produced by a number of suppliers for use in military vehicles and one of those suppliers was Mobil.
You are partially right. Even today, Amsoil does not manufacture the oils and additives, but blends them. Yes, the oil they used was mil-spec, but without additives. The founder hired chemists and blended the oil that was to become Amsoil in 72. It was a 10W-40. They are constantly trying new additives and blending different types of synthetic base stocks to make the best oil they can. I have watched them evolve over the 30 years I have been using them. I do remember that Mobil 1 (which was a 5W-20 at the time) caused many engine problems. Now, don't get me wrong. Mobil 1 is a good oil, but if I have a choice (and the great thing about America is that you HAVE choices) its Amsoil all the way.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #29
coyotemoon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103915
What I Drive: 2012 Focus blue 5 Hatch Back

FF Reputation: 1 coyotemoon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
It will come up at 9,950 miles
Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #30
coyotemoon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103915
What I Drive: 2012 Focus blue 5 Hatch Back

FF Reputation: 1 coyotemoon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Oil filters are same as previous gen Focus.
I use the Fram TG3614 filter from Wal Mart

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.