Ultra Gauge Install - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
TrackDaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 89442
What I Drive: 2012 Gray metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 1 TrackDaddy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ultra Gauge Install

I just purchased an Ultra Gauge. It's similar to the ScanGauge but, significantly less expensive. Its about $75 when it's all said and done with rebates. It also has a more modern finished looking display.

This OBDII reader can display information that is on your the cars data bus. On my 2012 Ti the UltraGauge found 60 paramters. You can create 7 pages of dispays to show information like % Tank Fuel level or the ignition advance. But, instantaneous MPG is why I purchased the device. It can display things like Gallons of fuel used for me to drive to work (0.41 Gallons this morning)

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

The Gadget Factor is pretty high on this one. And hopefully it will pay for itself. I HATE the suctioncup on the wind shield and plan to move to to above the rearview mirror. It's pretty small.

The door to the ODBII connector wont shut with it plugged in. However, the OBDII port on the focus just unclips so that it will allow you to push it back under the dash so the door will close.

EDITED: In the end I had to return the Ultra-Gauge. The gauge would keep the computer on the car "awake". This would cause a slight battery drain. Not noticible overnight. But, if you left the car parked for a couple of days your battery would be dead. Ultra-Gauge has some settings that are supposed to keep this from happening. For instance a Delay that begins once you turn off the car. I set this delay to 10 minutes (twice as long as recomended). The delay allows the car to go to sleep. However, even at 10 minutes the UltraGauge would cause some sub system in the car to wake up and drain the battery.

I was hopeful for the Ultra guage. However, I found the implementation of the ODBII reader to be kludgey. I also found the company itself to be a tad bit strange. I never felt all that comfortable doing business with them. There would be some strange requirements and priorities when working with them. Sounds like a bunch of engineers running a retail company. I think they need a business/sales manager and a customer service manager.

Having said that the hardware itself looks great and was well designed. The main issue was the software implementation and it causing my Focus to drain its own battery.

TrackDaddy

Last edited by TrackDaddy; 10-08-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
Neekit
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85377
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow blaze SE hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Neekit Good Standing Member
Wow seems very cool and pretty easy to install looks great. Might be getting one thanks for the pics.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Vrod21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86456
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo black metallic SE

FF Reputation: 3 Vrod21 Good Standing Member
That is great! Does it display real time MPH, such as a digital speedometer would?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
TrackDaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Digital MPH, RPM, MPG, Torque, HP, Instantaneous MPG ... 60 unique values you can display for the Focus.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Vrod21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86456
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo black metallic SE

FF Reputation: 3 Vrod21 Good Standing Member
....ordered!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
silvertoy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88044
What I Drive: 2013 PB, Inside/out ST2 Nav w/ Moon

FF Reputation: 2 silvertoy Good Standing Member
Well heres a little problem. I transferred my ultragauge from my fiesta to my focus a few weeks ago, had to pop out the obdII like you did. Left my car parked over the weekend last week and on Monday my battery was dead and i mean DEAD. I lost all presets and my phone pairing, etc. Jumped it and it was good to go but after jumping i then noticed that after the door was opened and the ultragauge shut off it came back on a few seconds later. I had used it for weeks without problem, but that was because it hadn't been parked for more than a day. Don't know if I'll keep using it or what....

2013 Focus ST Performance Blue
201A, Moonroof, Nav, Performance Blue Recaros
Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
TrackDaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The behavior that I see is that it shuts off when I turn off the engine. Then I open the door to get out and it comes back on. I shut the door and then the gauge turns back on. Then

@ 20 secs the dash displays shut off
@ 30 secs the ambient lights turn off
@ 3:00 the gauge shuts off.

I imagine if your door is left open over the weekend you might drain the battery. I suspect some systems on the car are in low power state. Something has to be listening for your FOB and unlock the doors and the security system is always running. I don't beleive the ultragage pulls that much power compared to those systems.

There are several 'Power Off Detect Modes' (5). Its on page 42 in the manual. It hasn't been an issue for me. I might contact support and see what mode they recommend for the issue. But, on my focus if the door is closed it shuts off in about 3 minutes.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
dasilvarsa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89551
What I Drive: 2012 2.0 Gdi Trend

FF Reputation: 2 dasilvarsa Good Standing Member
Awsome machine,
Does the unit take 12v Power from the OBD Plug or do you have to supply power to it.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
TrackDaddy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Power comes from the OBDII port.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Nutty 5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81405
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3 SE Sonic Blue 5spd

Points 1,477, Level 21
Points: 1,477, Level: 21 Points: 1,477, Level: 21 Points: 1,477, Level: 21
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Nutty 5.0 Good Standing Member
Looks great! I loved uhaving and using my Scan Gauge on my 03 Cobra. These are great tool to see everything going on.
1993 Mustang Featured in MM/FF and 5.0 and Super Ford Magazine SOLD - 2003 Cobra SOLD

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.