Should a Focus Wagon be sold in US? - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #81
demaille
Focus Enthusiast
 
demaille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85108
Location: New York, NY
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Grey Wagon ZXW SES

Posts: 74
FF Reputation: 1 demaille Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I agree that the Magnum was a very different wagon for an equally different market, and that it was poorly marketed. I don't think Ford will be looking to it for a frame of reference if and when it considers producing the Focus Wagon over here. Rather, i think they would look to their own market research about the Focus target market--posted and discussed here a while ago--a target market that tends to be 'right-sizing' while not sacrificing 'luxury' options. I personally think the Wagon could surprise a lot of people and be an exciting option for those participating in that trend.
demaille is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #82
Dondi
Focus Enthusiast
 
Dondi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91943
Location: Milton, MA
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White Sedan 5 spd

Posts: 127
Points 434, Level 8
Points: 434, Level: 8 Points: 434, Level: 8 Points: 434, Level: 8
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Dondi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Looks kind of like a mini Ford Edge.
__________________
My other car is a classic 1973 VW Super Beetle.
Dondi is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #83
st falcon
Focus Addict
 
st falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92343
Location: Livonia, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

Posts: 1,368
FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by demaille View Post
I agree that the Magnum was a very different wagon for an equally different market, and that it was poorly marketed. I don't think Ford will be looking to it for a frame of reference if and when it considers producing the Focus Wagon over here. Rather, i think they would look to their own market research about the Focus target market--posted and discussed here a while ago--a target market that tends to be 'right-sizing' while not sacrificing 'luxury' options. I personally think the Wagon could surprise a lot of people and be an exciting option for those participating in that trend.
Precisely...I read an article by Car and Drivers Editor, and it basically summarized that Americans arent all-of-the-sudden into driving small cars like the Focus and Cruze, with a desperate scramble to small cars for econony (fuel and price), but rather, its that these cars have grown to suit us, both in size and accomodations...a combo that the Focus Wagon would now be poised to offer. I think the number of hatch Focus' Ford is selling will wake them up to the fact that we will buy hatch equipped vehicles en masse now that they are so competitive...Ford thought the sedan would out sell the hatch 5 to1, but it seems they are selling about 50/50...the perception that Americans dont like hatches is going to fall by the wayside, so bring over the wagon!
Our biggest hurdle to getting it? Alot of the folks who might also consider a wagon, have many more choices in small SUVs over here than are available in Europe and elsewhere...Ford alone offers three within 10 - 12K of a Focus....

BTW locutist, thats the best looking Volvo I have seen in a long time!
__________________
2012 Focus SEL Blue Candy Metallic

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
st falcon is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 01:42 AM   #84
demaille
Focus Enthusiast
 
demaille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85108
Location: New York, NY
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Grey Wagon ZXW SES

Posts: 74
FF Reputation: 1 demaille Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
<<Our biggest hurdle to getting it? A lot of the folks who might also consider a wagon, have many more choices in small SUVs over here than are available in Europe and elsewhere...Ford alone offers three within 10 - 12K of a Focus....>>

True. It was about 9 months ago that we had 'substantiated rumors' from 'Ford insiders' that the wagon would be produced here at some point. Then a bit later, we get the news that the Grand C-Max would not be. Vis-a-vis your point, I did wonder if those two items were possibly related.

For what it's worth, I met a Ford exec at a holiday party last weekend. I told him I was a Focus wagon owner--'06'--and was really enthused about the new one and that I would be first in line to get one if it ever came over. He said, "It isn't a matter of if. It's a matter of when."
demaille is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #85
locutist
Focus Enthusiast
 
locutist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Fan#: 33592
Location: Kaiserslautern, Germany
What I Drive: 2005 Volvo V50 T5

Posts: 97
FF Reputation: 1 locutist Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
Our biggest hurdle to getting it? Alot of the folks who might also consider a wagon, have many more choices in small SUVs over here than are available in Europe and elsewhere...Ford alone offers three within 10 - 12K of a Focus....

BTW locutist, thats the best looking Volvo I have seen in a long time!
Thanks for the kudos. My T5 is the same engine/hp used in the Euro MarkII Focus ST. That's why I'm waiting for the ST to reach the US. I don't think I could handle a downgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demaille View Post
<<Our biggest hurdle to getting it? A lot of the folks who might also consider a wagon, have many more choices in small SUVs over here than are available in Europe and elsewhere...Ford alone offers three within 10 - 12K of a Focus....>>

True. It was about 9 months ago that we had 'substantiated rumors' from 'Ford insiders' that the wagon would be produced here at some point. Then a bit later, we get the news that the Grand C-Max would not be. Vis-a-vis your point, I did wonder if those two items were possibly related.

For what it's worth, I met a Ford exec at a holiday party last weekend. I told him I was a Focus wagon owner--'06'--and was really enthused about the new one and that I would be first in line to get one if it ever came over. He said, "It isn't a matter of if. It's a matter of when."
That's just it, wagons are NOT small SUV's, nor do they pretend to be. That's why my choices are limited...very few wagons. I would never consider a SUV.

Make sure he lets everyone else know at Ford there will be plenty of takers and hurry up with the "when" part. I see posts for others (kuga/escape and mondeo/fusion) but nothing for the wagon yet.
__________________
2005 V50 T5 6-Sp Manual: Flint Grey Metallic|Premium Sound System w/ 6-Disc CD Changer|De-badged Rear Hatch | E-Code Head Lights |Roof Spoiler |Dubstop black mesh grill| European Spec Wide Angle side view mirrors
locutist is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #86
Pennut
Focus Addict
 
Pennut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 91326
Location: Rochester, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

Posts: 588
Points 1,388, Level 20
Points: 1,388, Level: 20 Points: 1,388, Level: 20 Points: 1,388, Level: 20
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Well maybe they could bring over the wagon and not call it a wagon like Hyundai did with thier Elantra touring. Just call it a Ford Focus touring .... ta-da! problem solved.
Pennut is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #87
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85847
Location: Huntington Woods, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

Posts: 328
FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
After Ford rolls out the 2013 Fusion/Mondeo, 2014 F-series, 2013 Escape/Kuga, 2013? C-Max, 2014 Mustang, fixes MFT, and refreshes a few other models, we'll get the Focus wagon. If you don't see the wagon in Detroit in January, then don't expect it until 2014-15. Predicting that North America will eventually get a Focus wagon is like saying gas will get to $6/gallon. Someday it will happen.

As disappointing as it is, Ford doesn't care about your compact wagon. It's about making money. While the slow selling Flex would sell less units than a Focus wagon, it has a higher profit per unit and shares a platform with other high profit models. Ford makes more profit on the Expedition model line than it does on the Focus model line. The Focus serves as an entry vehicle that Ford hopes builds a positive brand experience and leads to more, and more profitable, Blue Oval purchases.

The other problem is that a Focus wagon will cost as much as an Escape and have worse residuals. And what is the US car market based on? LEASES. There will almost always be more incentives and better financing on an Escape rather then a Focus.
bball40dtw is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #88
st falcon
Focus Addict
 
st falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 92343
Location: Livonia, MI
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

Posts: 1,368
FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball40dtw View Post
After Ford rolls out the 2013 Fusion/Mondeo, 2014 F-series, 2013 Escape/Kuga, 2013? C-Max, 2014 Mustang, fixes MFT, and refreshes a few other models, we'll get the Focus wagon. If you don't see the wagon in Detroit in January, then don't expect it until 2014-15. Predicting that North America will eventually get a Focus wagon is like saying gas will get to $6/gallon. Someday it will happen.

As disappointing as it is, Ford doesn't care about your compact wagon. It's about making money. While the slow selling Flex would sell less units than a Focus wagon, it has a higher profit per unit and shares a platform with other high profit models. Ford makes more profit on the Expedition model line than it does on the Focus model line. The Focus serves as an entry vehicle that Ford hopes builds a positive brand experience and leads to more, and more profitable, Blue Oval purchases.

The other problem is that a Focus wagon will cost as much as an Escape and have worse residuals. And what is the US car market based on? LEASES. There will almost always be more incentives and better financing on an Escape rather then a Focus.
Well, if you arent at cobo (can you believe that place is still in operation??) I will be, and I'll try to get some pics that wont show up in the rags...
Good point on the residuals, but I think we might see that problem fade as anything with a "hatch" will no longer have to mean SUV, thanks to the Focus! I mean, I dont think alot of people know the diff between a car hatch and an SUV tailgate anyway, so maybe we can call wagons an "Earth Friendly-er SUV" and out some people into a wagon, just so they get to see that actually driving is more fun than looking "successful" in their mini-SUV...Escapes, gotta love em..lol, 9.5% more cargo room than a focus 5 door, 90.5% less capability than a vehicle called SUV should have...
__________________
2012 Focus SEL Blue Candy Metallic

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
st falcon is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #89
jade408
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91998
Location: Bay Area, CA
What I Drive: Focus HB Titanium, Sterling Grey

Posts: 125
FF Reputation: 1 jade408 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball40dtw View Post
The Focus serves as an entry vehicle that Ford hopes builds a positive brand experience and leads to more, and more profitable, Blue Oval purchases.
I don't know, but with the direction Ford is taking on the Focus, it is likely pretty high margin, especially with the premium features on it. I imagine Ford can make a pretty profit on a Focus Wagon optioned out like a "family car."
jade408 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #90
Pennut
Focus Addict
 
Pennut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 91326
Location: Rochester, NY
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

Posts: 588
Points 1,388, Level 20
Points: 1,388, Level: 20 Points: 1,388, Level: 20 Points: 1,388, Level: 20
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I see the Ford C max having a better chance of being sold here than a Focus wagon. The Volvo wagons had a following in the US for years and sold well and I see plenty of Audi and Volkswagen wagons on the road. I guess Americans just don't want American wagons. I think if it's slick enough, it would sell. The Focus wagon has the looks and refinement and I think it would sell surprisingly well here.
Pennut is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Cadillac ATS-V, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.