Paint quality problems? - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #31
ihdillon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88321
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 ihdillon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I have paint chips all over.. There was also a large dark imperfection on the passenger side that the body shop needed to fix
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #32
Phantom Zero
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90652
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Phantom Zero Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
Chip-wise my '12 is fine, I purposely kept it off of the highway until I had the nose wrapped in 3M, and even since it's been on the highway just once.

My Grand Prix has been winter-driven since new and its rock chips are very limited, but I went a step further to protect the fresh paint on the Focus with winter just around the corner.

My only complaint with the '12 Focus' paint is that the bumpers are slightly off-shade, and is especially noticeable with Yellow Blaze. Other than that I have no issues to report.
Wrapped in 3M? honestly Ive heard of a clear coat of plastic that protects the front bumper or whatever but is this what your talking about how does it work and where can u get it?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #33
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Points 13,721, Level 76
Points: 13,721, Level: 76 Points: 13,721, Level: 76 Points: 13,721, Level: 76
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Zero View Post
Wrapped in 3M? honestly Ive heard of a clear coat of plastic that protects the front bumper or whatever but is this what your talking about how does it work and where can u get it?
Google 3M paint protection and read up.

Almost any window tint place can do the work.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #34
JPopNC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88327
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium H-back

Points 1,271, Level 19
Points: 1,271, Level: 19 Points: 1,271, Level: 19 Points: 1,271, Level: 19
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 JPopNC Good Standing Member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
Hi, stone chips are stone chips, how can this be down to paint quality?
Chris
Seriously.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #35
Phantom Zero
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90652
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Phantom Zero Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Google 3M paint protection and read up.

Almost any window tint place can do the work.
Looked into it definitely need to do this on my car i live in the desert and with sandstorms it kills car paint like crazy im also going to need a cover to protect the rest but luckly on base there is a 4 story garage that should help my last car suffered major paint wear because of the last big sand storm we had here and seeing that most of you are getting chips without really being in those condition I kinda need to do some of these things darn u desert lolz
Old 11-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #36
Macsleuth
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90432
What I Drive: 2012 Stirling Grey Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Macsleuth Good Standing Member
Having driven a lot of hi-way miles over the years, I can say having a bug deflector/3M on the hood makes a huge difference. 160K KM in 4 years on my 2005 maxima, only one rock got thru the 3M paint protection. My 95 Maxima's (337K KM) hood looked almost sand blasted. So now all my cars get something up front. Although, I like the total 3M paint protection idea the most! Just my 2cents.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #37
Fine Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88092
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Fine Focus Good Standing Member
I always felt that Ford paint quality was above average. The paint on my current Focus is a disappointment. It definitely seems to me more sensitive to paint chips than previous cars owned. For instance, I barely brushed a door edge with a key and a chip appeared.

Also, while the paint appears to be applied evenly, I can see lots of orange peel. Maybe it is the color but it is pretty obvious.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #38
FCSEL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88418
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL, 5sp, Lux, Nav

FF Reputation: 1 FCSEL Good Standing Member
what can we do to help alleviate the sensitivity in the paint? maybe it's because the paint hasn't fully cured yet? ... even then, would waxing and polishing strengthen the finish?

are ford aware of this???
Old 11-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #39
SimonSellsAustin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90594
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE hatch.

FF Reputation: 2 SimonSellsAustin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Focus View Post
I always felt that Ford paint quality was above average. The paint on my current Focus is a disappointment. It definitely seems to me more sensitive to paint chips than previous cars owned. For instance, I barely brushed a door edge with a key and a chip appeared.

Also, while the paint appears to be applied evenly, I can see lots of orange peel. Maybe it is the color but it is pretty obvious.
My sonic Blue isn't showing any orange peel or chips. (I've painted cars and my best friend runs an autobody shop so I've seen a ton of paint). Sure it's not show stopping quality but it's above average for a stock color and paintjob. Well, at least mine is. Maybe yours was built on a Friday.

Long story short, your paint is covered by Ford for 5 years so Keep a record and around year 3 or 4 get on them about getting a new paint job. Small blemishes might get fixed now but I think waiting until something actually goes bad would be smarter. Just be sure to document it and make a complaint so the dealer knows it's a factory issue.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #40
Fine Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88092
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Fine Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSellsAustin View Post
My sonic Blue isn't showing any orange peel or chips. (I've painted cars and my best friend runs an autobody shop so I've seen a ton of paint). Sure it's not show stopping quality but it's above average for a stock color and paintjob. Well, at least mine is. Maybe yours was built on a Friday.

Long story short, your paint is covered by Ford for 5 years so Keep a record and around year 3 or 4 get on them about getting a new paint job. Small blemishes might get fixed now but I think waiting until something actually goes bad would be smarter. Just be sure to document it and make a complaint so the dealer knows it's a factory issue.
Actually, the build on my car was started on Friday Aug 5 and completed Monday Aug 8...no joke!! Looking closely at the finish, I suspect that the orange peel effect is on the clear coat. Assuming that this color has a clear top coat I wonder if a professional detailer could improve this condition.

You do make a good point about going on record with the dealer which I have done verbally but will follow up in writing at the first service.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.