Paint quality problems? - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #91
anchordz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103164
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 anchordz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Poor Paint Durability and Paint Chips

I bought my 2012 Blue Candy (with Tri-Coat paint) Hatchback in April 2012. Around the first month of ownership, I notice I had 3 paint chips on the hood so I took it to the dealer. They said it's not covered under warranty so I used touch up paint as a solution. Now it's been 4 months and I have noticed more and more paint chips. I took it back to the dealer complaining about the quality of the paint and its durability. Ford declined again, not covered by warranty. I have had more paint chips on a 4 month old vehicle then I've had on my previous 2001 Ford ZX2, which I bought brand new and drove for 10 1/2 years. Also noticed that the used 2012 Focuses at more than one Dealer’s Lots have the same issues with many paint chips, mainly on the hood. I have to say that I'm very disappointed with this issue considering the 3 Fords I owned prior to this one has no paint issues.

Ford advised that they need more people to call complaining about this issue so that they will further research to see if it’s really a paint quality issue. They will not use the history of this forum as proof that this is a legitimate problem.

So if you are having this issue, please call Ford at 1-800-392-3673.

If there is an issue with the paint quality save your repair receipts as it might be reimbursable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #92
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchordz View Post
I bought my 2012 Blue Candy Hatchback in April 2012. Around the first month of ownership, I notice I had 3 paint chips on the hood so I took it to the dealer. They said it's not covered under warranty so I used touch up paint as a solution. Now it's been 4 months and I have noticed more and more paint chips. I took it back to the dealer complaining about the quality of the paint and its durability. Ford declined again, not covered by warranty. I have had more paint chips on a 4 month vehicle then I've had on my previous 2001 Ford ZX2, which I bought brand new and drove for 10 1/2 years. Also noticed that the used 2012 Focuses at more than one Dealerís Lots have the same issues with many paint chips. I have say I'm very discontent with this issue consdering the 3 Fords I owned prior to this one has no paint issues.

Ford advised that they need more people to call complaining about this issue so that they will further research to see if itís really a paint quality issue. They will not use the history of this forum as proof that this is a legitimate problem.

If there is an issue with the paint quality save your repair receipts as it might be reimbursable.
They changed some regulations for auto paint and so newer cars have worse protection than old ones.

Here is an example took effect in 2004. http://www.nj.gov/dep/opppc/small/voccabs.pdf

So the paint might be working as designed, just designed poorly.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #93
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESTIMADO07 View Post
I have problems with my chest paint of myford focus. In front edge is not good paint applied. I believe that at the time was formed and this is a drop callus, leaving a small part without a painting , is very small, but that is me discontent
I recommend calling our Mexican Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-719-8466 to see if they can further assist you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deehugh View Post
I've had my car 3500 miles so far and the paint is in fairly good shape except for two small but noticable chips right above the ford logo on the hood Given that I'm wearing Tuxedo black they stand out a bit more
Do you drive on the highway a lot? Please take a look at the Warranty Guide (5th Printing) for more info on coverage: https://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...vehicleIndex=1.

Quote:
I bought my 2012 Blue Candy (with Tri-Coat paint) Hatchback in April 2012. Around the first month of ownership, I notice I had 3 paint chips on the hood so I took it to the dealer. They said it's not covered under warranty so I used touch up paint as a solution. Now it's been 4 months and I have noticed more and more paint chips. I took it back to the dealer complaining about the quality of the paint and its durability. Ford declined again, not covered by warranty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
They changed some regulations for auto paint and so newer cars have worse protection than old ones.

Here is an example took effect in 2004. http://www.nj.gov/dep/opppc/small/voccabs.pdf
Remember to get Ford approved touch up paint here: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...o=Focus#Search. I'm always monitoring the threads for quality trends!

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #94
dbenney
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1195
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 4 dbenney Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by svcook View Post
My car is race red. I think the paint job is excellent. I've found no orange peel and no chips after 6500 miles.
You are mistaking. ALL of these cars have orange peel to some extent. If you dont believe me just look at it in florescent lighting. That shows every imperfection, most of which wont sho(or not as much) in natural light. The orange peel on these cars is in part due to new paint that is being used on this model of Focus. I dont remember the specs, but it is a slower paint. One thing to remember metallic and darker colors tend to show it more and lighter colors help hide more imperfections. I dare you to find a perfect factory paint job on any car.... you wont! You must keep in mind that "show cars" and showroom displays are detailed... color sanded, polished and resprayed, sometimes by hand and sometimes this process is repeated several times.

Last edited by dbenney; 08-29-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #95
anchordz
Focus Rookie

I bought the Ford brand touch up kit from the dealer. My dealer recommended not using the touch-up kit, but getting the hood repainted, which costs over $500. I took the cheaper way out, but the way it's going, I will run out of touch up paint and my hood may be protected from rust, but will look horrible. I wish I had just kept my 2001 ZX2 and had the engine rebuilt; it probably would have lasted me another 10 years with NO PAINT ISSUES.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #96
anchordz
Focus Rookie

I bought the Ford brand touch up kit from the dealer. My dealer recommended not using the touch-up kit, but getting the hood repainted, which costs over $500. I took the cheaper way out, but the way it's going, I will run out of touch up paint and my hood may be protected from rust, but will look horrible. I wish I had just kept my 2001 ZX2 and had the engine rebuilt; it probably would have lasted me another 10 years with NO PAINT ISSUES.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #97
anchordz
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Remember to get Ford approved touch up paint here: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...o=Focus#Search. I'm always monitoring the threads for quality trends!

Thomas
Old 08-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #98
Shorty Long
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 68979
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium, Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 2 Shorty Long Good Standing Member
yeah...touch-up paint once you get past 3 or 4 well-spaced chips really beings to take away from the appearance of your car...i've had to "touch-up" 10-12 chips on the hood alone and it's really starting to look bad, even from afar

Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #99
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbenney View Post
...I dont remember the specs, but it is a slower paint. One thing to remember metallic and darker colors tend to show it more and lighter colors help hide more imperfections. I dare you to find a perfect factory paint job on any car.... you wont! You must keep in mind that "show cars" and showroom displays are detailed... color sanded, polished and resprayed, sometimes by hand and sometimes this process is repeated several times.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Long View Post
yeah...touch-up paint once you get past 3 or 4 well-spaced chips really beings to take away from the appearance of your car...i've had to "touch-up" 10-12 chips on the hood alone and it's really starting to look bad, even from afar
Hey guys -

I'd like to document this on record for you; please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer name. If you'd like, you can submit product feedback here too: https://secure.corporate.ford.com/fo...rdMotorCompany.

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 08-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #100
_OTZ_
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101560
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE - Tuxedo Black

FF Reputation: 1 _OTZ_ Good Standing Member
After having the car for about 5000 KM, I finally was able to find some time to wax it and I noticed all kinds of little white flecks of something in the paint on the hood. They aren't chips, and they aren't debris (I clay-barred the car) - clearly something got on the paint, or in the paint before it got a clear coat. Is this normal? They aren't all that noticeable (unless you know they are there), and it helps a little bit that the car is metallic black...but it still sucks! Any ideas? I guess this isn't covered by the warranty, but it's a shame nonetheless.

Bookmarks & Social Networks