2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 85 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #841
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, mine is getting steadily worse. Anything that gets worse is not normal. How can it be? Something is gradually changing or wearing in order for it to get worse. No way can somebody tell it's normal. If it were normal it would stay the same. If it were normal, the cars would start out doing it.

Has the guy that put bilsteins on his car to eliminate the clunk checked in recently to confirm his was fixed?

The new TSB seems to be for something a bit different, and that is why they test the car turning slowly at slow speeds on a smooth parking lot. Mine would fail that test cuz mine makes a lot of noise when turning the wheel at slow speeds. It feels unsafe to me, or at least like something will eventually break big time.

The clunk is pretty complicated, and that's why so many techs have failed to fix it.

At this point. Would put aftermarket struts on it since the warranty seems to be worthless anyway as regards to this problem.

So where is this "Thomas" character lately? Man his job must suck working for a company that looks like its going to crap all over us.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #842
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

Points 16,942, Level 83
Points: 16,942, Level: 83 Points: 16,942, Level: 83 Points: 16,942, Level: 83
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
Well, mine is getting steadily worse. Anything that gets worse is not normal. How can it be? Something is gradually changing or wearing in order for it to get worse. No way can somebody tell it's normal. If it were normal it would stay the same. If it were normal, the cars would start out doing it.

Has the guy that put bilsteins on his car to eliminate the clunk checked in recently to confirm his was fixed?

The new TSB seems to be for something a bit different, and that is why they test the car turning slowly at slow speeds on a smooth parking lot. Mine would fail that test cuz mine makes a lot of noise when turning the wheel at slow speeds. It feels unsafe to me, or at least like something will eventually break big time.

The clunk is pretty complicated, and that's why so many techs have failed to fix it.

At this point. Would put aftermarket struts on it since the warranty seems to be worthless anyway as regards to this problem.

So where is this "Thomas" character lately? Man his job must suck working for a company that looks like its going to crap all over us.
If you want a solution, schedule an appointment with your dealer and contact Thomas. They might still do the tsb. Make sure to drive with a technician as to point out the noise. Ford has far superior quality than most car companies. I've worked for Volkswagen and Hyundai and both are far worse than anything I've seen from Ford.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using FF Mobile
Old 07-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #843
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,726, Level 95
Points: 24,726, Level: 95 Points: 24,726, Level: 95 Points: 24,726, Level: 95
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfire View Post
If you want a solution, schedule an appointment with your dealer and contact Thomas. They might still do the tsb. Make sure to drive with a technician as to point out the noise. Ford has far superior quality than most car companies. I've worked for Volkswagen and Hyundai and both are far worse than anything I've seen from Ford.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using FF Mobile
^^^This. Take some action. This is just a forum, you shouldn't be waiting for Thomas if you can just click on his username and send a PM.

Hyundai and their $700 spark plug change...
2014 FiST-
Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #844
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Points 732, Level 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Actually I have contacted him many times, and taken my car in a few times, and have another appointment tomorrow, which is all well and good.

Did you guys miss the post from the assistant service manager saying that the noise is normal and no further repairs will be authorized by ford? That is not acceptable.

"Thomas" usually chimes in with little pep talky positives things to keep us thinking that a solution is on the way, and ford wants to keep us happy etc. NOT if they just give us the finger when we bring in the car. This is not the car I bought. They need to fix it. They need to figure it out first, and that probably has not yet happened. We can figure it out for them, but then they void the warranty!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #845
hand-filer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90895
What I Drive: One less Ford

FF Reputation: 1 hand-filer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
Actually I have contacted him many times, and taken my car in a few times, and have another appointment tomorrow, which is all well and good.

Did you guys miss the post from the assistant service manager saying that the noise is normal and no further repairs will be authorized by ford? That is not acceptable.

"Thomas" usually chimes in with little pep talky positives things to keep us thinking that a solution is on the way, and ford wants to keep us happy etc. NOT if they just give us the finger when we bring in the car. This is not the car I bought. They need to fix it. They need to figure it out first, and that probably has not yet happened. We can figure it out for them, but then they void the warranty!
I had TSB 12-6-17 done on Friday. That is the fix!
Try being more assertive and go up the food chain if need be. I don't waste my time with assistants.
Or go find another dealership.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #846
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,726, Level 95
Points: 24,726, Level: 95 Points: 24,726, Level: 95 Points: 24,726, Level: 95
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
I had TSB 12-6-17 done on Friday. That is the fix!
Try being more assertive and go up the food chain if need be. I don't waste my time with assistants.
Or go find another dealership.
^^^This also.

Many people have had this TSB done, and yes it has been with mixed results. But, strictly from what I have noticed (so it's not entirely factual as I have no actual data), it appears that the people whom have been getting the work done in the last two months have been satisfied. This TSB (it's only a revision to the previous TSB) has only been out for 8 months now, and if it was a bad parts issue then the initial grout of people getting the work done could have been getting remnants of the bad parts. And for all we know, those that are currently satisfied could find the noise returning later.

Idk, I don't see everything that the number-crunchers at Ford see. But if it was a big enough of a deal for them to issue a TSB (to save mechanics billed time diagnosing a problem), then I can hardly say that Ford is 'not acknowledging the problem'. As to whether all of the dealerships are stopping repairs, idk. I don't have time to stop by mine right now to confirm.

And I also am pretty sure that Misfire did read the post from the assistant service manager...

All I'm saying is that typing angry forum posts doesn't solve anything. I can say this because I have the clunk as well, and mine is progressively getting worse. My Service Dept actually asked me to bring it in when I had the chance, and this is knowing that I have aftermarket springs installed.

I feel ya, I really do. Just try to tone it down a bit or you'll end up on everyone's block list like Allyy. If you are having problems with your dealership, find another. Keep pushing, wait longer, or trade the car.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #847
fcbaldwin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97264
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 fcbaldwin Good Standing Member
The June 2012 TSB (12-6-17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Are we forgetting there is a TSB people?

Someone prove me wrong, but I've yet to see anyone post that the noise returned after TSB 12-6-17 was performed. I keep seeing this TSB 11-11-2 quoted, but it seems that they were just replacing the parts with more bad parts back then. Why issue a second TSB that calls for the same repair if Ford Engineering hasn't found a bad run of components.

I hope I'm right anyway...
I had this in June just as it came out. Did not work. At all. In fact, the clunk/rattle/squeak etc. was there the next day.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #848
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Points 732, Level 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Well if in fact fords position is "no more repairs will be done addressing this problem", your suggestion of finding a new dealer, or any suggestion is going to do nothing. Ford is not fixing the car, if that earlier post is true. I will find out tomorrow like I said. If its true and we are being dumped by ford, what other avenue other forum posts do we have? I am bringing my video camera tomorrow, and will also ask for any refusal of service to be in writing, and I will post a copy. Hopefully the earlier post of fords refusing service is incorrect.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #849
jrn146
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 275
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red SE 5 door 5 speed

Points 153, Level 3
Points: 153, Level: 3 Points: 153, Level: 3 Points: 153, Level: 3
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 jrn146 Good Standing Member
It seems that we're having 2 separate problems here. After reading the TSB I can see why my dealer was reluctant to do it. That's not the noise I hear. You won't hear my noise in a smooth parking lot, only over low speed dips or manhole covers. It's a distinct strut clunk, not a creaking/crunching sound. The parts replaced on mine were the BV6Z 5310 A springs with all the other parts listed in the TSB. I'm not wasting any more time at the dealer until there's a definite fix. It's a nice little car otherwise so hopefully Ford comes up with something.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #850
Yanner
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93640
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue 5MT hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Yanner Good Standing Member
I'm another that has been lurking this thread waiting for reports of a definite fix. I seem to have two noises: the low speed rattle/clunk (which I can feel as an undampened vibration in the car) and a knock-knock-knock through smooth mid speed turns, both directions. The 2nd sound is much newer (just noticed around 10 000kms) while the first has been around since about 3000 kms i think, if not earlier.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.