2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 83 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #821
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The service manager let me have a copy of the TSB. I'm gonna post it on here in a few...need to scan it. I figured u guys would like to see it or have a copy for your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #822
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
And here it is. What confuses me is 'service procedures #2'. Why test it on a smooth road when the issue is clearly stated in the title...over bumps and such?

Old 07-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #823
Bames_Jond
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100409
What I Drive: 2010 Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 Bames_Jond Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma_not View Post
I bought a Focus SEL from South Bay Ford in August 2011. My build date is 6/11. Like many others on these forums, I too have had ongoing issues with tranny shifting noises with multiple reprograms along with annoying clunking, rattling sounds coming from the front suspension while driving low speeds over small bumps and changes in pavement grade. In November 2011, the service technician admitted to hearing sounds from front struts and ordered parts for then TSB 11-11-2. In January 2012, strut parts arrived and repairs were made that successfully resolved the noises temporarily. The familiar noise began returning ever so slightly over several months and had fully returned with a vengeance by month 4. I returned the car in July for 10K service and complaints about strut sounds returning. I did a test drive with a service technician and he acknowledged hearing the noises too.
I share your disappointment. Ford needs to take a lesson out of Juran's book and realize that the cost of poor quality - in terms of warranty repairs, lost [future] sales and damage to brand image - far outweighs the savings obtained by using marginable parts and/or poor quality suppliers.

This isn't the Eastern Bloc. It's not like people are forced to choose between a Trabant or a bicycle. The automobile industry here is very competitive and there are myriad options available to most consumers.

Brand loyal buyers are likely to be somewhat forgiving for their clunking Foci; many may trade their sorrows away for another Ford product (maybe that's the plan?). What will be interesting to see, however, is how many conquest buyers will return to Ford for their next purchase.

I've had my Focus (at 30K miles) in the service dept. now for five times to repair supension-related problems. That's more suspension work than I've had done for all 6 of my vehicles before it combined (two of which had over 100K mi before being replaced). And while improved [at least for the time being], my Ford still clunks more than the Chrysler with 180K on the clock I drove during college (and I thought that was a clunker).
Old 07-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #824
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bames_Jond View Post
I share your disappointment. Ford needs to take a lesson out of Juran's book and realize that the cost of poor quality - in terms of warranty repairs, lost [future] sales and damage to brand image - far outweighs the savings obtained by using marginable parts and/or poor quality suppliers.

This isn't the Eastern Bloc. It's not like people are forced to choose between a Trabant or a bicycle. The automobile industry here is very competitive and there are myriad options available to most consumers.

Brand loyal buyers are likely to be somewhat forgiving for their clunking Foci; many may trade their sorrows away for another Ford product (maybe that's the plan?). What will be interesting to see, however, is how many conquest buyers will return to Ford for their next purchase.

I've had my Focus (at 30K miles) in the service dept. now for five times to repair supension-related problems. That's more suspension work than I've had done for all 6 of my vehicles before it combined (two of which had over 100K mi before being replaced). And while improved [at least for the time being], my Ford still clunks more than the Chrysler with 180K on the clock I drove during college (and I thought that was a clunker).
Haha, this reminds me about the Top Gear episode where they attemped to find a good car that was made by communists.

"It was designed 50 years ago by the Italians, perfected by the Russians, and is still made by the Egytians. I can't think of anything worse."
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #825
67gtafastback
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94858
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 67gtafastback Good Standing Member
I have an early built titanium hatch which had the front end noise, twice. My dealer replaced the front springs bearing and new hardware. This was in Feb, can't recall how many KM. Last week at 20,000km the replace all the same parts again, with a different revision spring. I hope they have solved the problem, once more and I will ask them to hang a lemon air freshener from the mirror. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #826
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
They are putting the same parts back in to fail again sometime down the road.
Not so sure about that. The tech told me they are identifying specific runs of parts to replace.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #827
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantheman2012 View Post
And here it is. What confuses me is 'service procedures #2'. Why test it on a smooth road when the issue is clearly stated in the title...over bumps and such?
Thanks! Either way it helps out to have this as arsenal to take to the dealer then pull it out when they are like "I don't see what the problem is." My car was built 9.26.11.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #828
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Not so sure about that. The tech told me they are identifying specific runs of parts to replace.
There are guys on here who have had the TSB applied only to get the clunk again. When they look at the part#'s, they are the same.

My Ti is after the 4/2 build date cut off. What changed at the factory then, and why are cars that are getting the TSB re-clunking sometime later? If I start clunking with my late build, I don't get this nice TSB to help me.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 07-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #829
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
There are guys on here who have had the TSB applied only to get the clunk again. When they look at the part#'s, they are the same.

My Ti is after the 4/2 build date cut off. What changed at the factory then, and why are cars that are getting the TSB re-clunking sometime later? If I start clunking with my late build, I don't get this nice TSB to help me.
I believe that it was a bad batch of bearings, buf that's just my opinion.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-
Old 07-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #830
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I just wanted to chime in on this. Yesterday, a Ford Field Service Rep came in at the Ford dealer that I am an assistant service manager at. He asked us if we'd had anyone coming in with this concern. We said no and I mentioned that my SEL does this. He said that they have replaced sprigs and struts on numerous vehicles and that the noise came back in them all. The engineers have deemed it normal and no repair is to be attempted any longer.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->