2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 82 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #811
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So could they see anything wrong with the mount? Or did they just wing it to see what would happen?

I suspect that mine is a combination of strut and mount, simply because, one the engine gets good and hot, like at least 30 minutes, the noise is improved, but not eliminated. That means that something is changing with heat.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #812
MMarchand
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88649
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 MMarchand Good Standing Member
Same clunking/cracking problem here. It is worse if there is passenger in the car. I have the early production ( may 2011). I'm glad that there is a TSB out for this. I will take an appointment with dealer soon for this annoying rattles.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #813
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn146 View Post
I had the tsb parts replaced today and there's no change in the noise. The service manager said there's nothing more that can be done until Ford comes up with something so it looks like we're on our own. If anyone comes up with a bearing or spring that resolves the noise please post part numbers.
Could you post the part numbers that were installed so we can compare? The TSB took care of the noise in my car for now. Weird.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #814
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

Points 3,700, Level 38
Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38 Points: 3,700, Level: 38
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
Could you post the part numbers that were installed so we can compare? The TSB took care of the noise in my car for now. Weird.
They are putting the same parts back in to fail again sometime down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
The Mazdaspeed3 mount is the same. Already researched.
Any aftermarket MS3 mounts? I could search for a maybe, but you might know for certain.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #815
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumStick View Post
They are putting the same parts back in to fail again sometime down the road.

Any aftermarket MS3 mounts? I could search for a maybe, but you might know for certain.
Sure, if you want to go with pillowball mounts, which will lead to noise later on as they wear.

The one aftermarket strut bearing I have found is a Febi/Bilstein unit for the Volvo C30. See HERE.

Technically, it should fit our cars. Not sure about reliability/quality, though. Still looking into that.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #816
FGLLMX
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98526
What I Drive: 2013 Audi A1 Ego 1.4TSFI S-Tronic

FF Reputation: 1 FGLLMX Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
So could they see anything wrong with the mount? Or did they just wing it to see what would happen?

I suspect that mine is a combination of strut and mount, simply because, one the engine gets good and hot, like at least 30 minutes, the noise is improved, but not eliminated. That means that something is changing with heat.

The old mount looked ok, the Service mgr. mentioned that they had performed some sort of test and it seemed the powertrain range of movement was excessive at the mount which is why they ordered the part.

When they removed the old mount, I took it and I moved the attachment points (at chassis and engine) simply by hand I could easily notice that it was very soft and also that the movement range seemed to be excessive. Before the new one was installed, I compared them and the new one was noticeably harder to move and its range of movement was a lot smaller.

The service manager (this is a small faciilty, part of a large Ford dealer in town) mentioned that they had successfully replaced 3 of these mounts already and such replacement has been under FORD Mexico approval. It seems the rubber component or whatever substance it may have inside softens to a degree that it no longer absorbs/limits the powertrain rapid movements from certain road shocks causing "this" noise. I may add that the car is now very smooth, previously some engine vibrations were felt while stopped in "D", well not anymore.

I told the guy that we will have to wait and see if this new mount was the final answer and if it will keep in shape for a long period of time.

I liked that he is very proactive and that he mentioned that he will be attentive to any Ford notice on other new developments in this issue.

Last edited by FGLLMX; 07-20-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: missing wording
Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #817
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Points 3,700, Level 38
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Sure, if you want to go with pillowball mounts, which will lead to noise later on as they wear.

The one aftermarket strut bearing I have found is a Febi/Bilstein unit for the Volvo C30. See HERE.

Technically, it should fit our cars. Not sure about reliability/quality, though. Still looking into that.
Like I have said before, hopefully the ST uses the same mount. Aftermarket support should follow, as Ford will probably sell more then Volvo and Mazda combined.
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Watch out for the D
Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #818
Shantheman2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98655
What I Drive: Fmr: 2012 Ti Sedan Now: '13 Taurus

FF Reputation: 2 Shantheman2012 Good Standing Member
I'm going to pick mine up in a few minutes here. The service manager said mine falls under the TSB addressing this issue. So he is ordering the parts and I'll have to take it back when they are in.

I agree with what others are saying...if they are the same defective parts...we're just buying a little time til it returns.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #819
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
So when the dealer does a job like this, can we get the old parts? Or do the go to ford somewhere? I'd like to at least take pictures of the surfaces that been in contact to see if there is any wear or evidence of a bad fit etc.

I have an appointment at a different dealer, in Escondido ca, this time. I told the regional rep "Brian" that I want better treatment than I got from North County Ford in vista ca.

We will see I guess. Crossing my fingers
Old 07-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #820
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Points 3,700, Level 38
Level Up 34% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
So when the dealer does a job like this, can we get the old parts? Or do the go to ford somewhere? I'd like to at least take pictures of the surfaces that been in contact to see if there is any wear or evidence of a bad fit etc.I have an appointment at a different dealer, in Escondido ca, this time. I told the regional rep "Brian" that I want better treatment than I got from North County Ford in vista ca.

We will see I guess. Crossing my fingers
If you pay for it, you get the parts back. If Ford pays for it, they get 'em. If you ask the tech, he may let you see them. But, I'm fairly certain they aren't supposed to. Best bet, play dumb. "Hey buddy, what did those upper mounts look like when they came out?"
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Watch out for the D

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.