2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 80 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #791
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
so i FINALLY had time to get my wireless mic in there and try to pin point the clunk. I really though it would be the 5 speed trans shift counterweight, but nope. It was in the strut tower. I made a very clear and obvious recording and video of my sound with the mic in the strut tower. (i tried many locations under the hood, by the wheels, etc etc...took a really long time)
on the video, my voice is being recorded by the iphone, and then i flew in the sound of the mic in iMovie.

You can watch the video here:

http://youtu.be/0W2RpaCGM9s

check it out and tell me if the sound is the same as what you hear on yours:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #792
gtncpa
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86143
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 gtncpa Good Standing Member
My cars clunk is much quieter than that. I wonder if I have the same problem...
Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #793
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Don't forget the mic was only a few inches from the strut bearing. It was at the second coil from the bottom
Old 07-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #794
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
check it out and tell me if the sound is the same as what you hear on yours:)
Very nice! That's what it sounded like in my video too. Alls I did was throw my phone up on the dash all the way to the window (far right), and it captured that sound going over the bump in my driveway too! Look a few posts up.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #795
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, I tried to watch yours but it needed flash or some such archaic outdated Internet plugin:) could not watch it on the pad, and I never use my computer anymore. Although I did need to bust it out to use the wireless etc
Old 07-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #796
dogma_not
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92255
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ingot SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 dogma_not Good Standing Member
Strut Chuckle???

I bought a Focus SEL from South Bay Ford in August 2011. My build date is 6/11. Like many others on these forums, I too have had ongoing issues with tranny shifting noises with multiple reprograms along with annoying clunking, rattling sounds coming from the front suspension while driving low speeds over small bumps and changes in pavement grade. In November 2011, the service technician admitted to hearing sounds from front struts and ordered parts for then TSB 11-11-2. In January 2012, strut parts arrived and repairs were made that successfully resolved the noises temporarily. The familiar noise began returning ever so slightly over several months and had fully returned with a vengeance by month 4. I returned the car in July for 10K service and complaints about strut sounds returning. I did a test drive with a service technician and he acknowledged hearing the noises too.

After leaving the car overnight for full multi-point service and diagnosis, the service manager phoned me to explain that a Ford Field Service Technician happened to be in the area and was asked to drive my car. After re-torquing the front end parts, and test driving, the FFST person called the Ford Hotline to be told the noise is a characteristic called "Strut Chuckle" of this European design which is made for cornering and as such can make noise on some type of road surfaces. (see invoices for comparison and quote)

I asked the service manager and Ford Customer Service rep, how does Ford explain issuing TSB's for strut noises, but when the same aforementioned and acknowledged noises return they state it is a characteristic of the car? Neither one had an answer for that. Both the dealer and Ford Service Rep stated that perhaps I should contact the BBB Auto Arbitration hotline for lemon law.

I will admit that after re-torquing the front end, the sound was noticeably less than previously being serviced but is still audible. Previous experience tells me the noise will likely return with full vengeance after several months.

The strut noises were not a characteristic when I bought this car, but now apparently are being legally defined that way. I have discussed seeing another Ford dealer to get a second opinion, but have been told they likely will not fix since Ford is labeling this as a characteristic of the car.

Also, it's very telling how unprofessional, unfocused and rushed the service technicians are when they return your car after a multi-point inspection with the radiator reservoir level over 1/2 inch below minimum level with a warm engine. As happened to me on this last visit. What else are they not inspecting and missing???

Frustrated with Ford

Last edited by dogma_not; 07-19-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #797
dogma_not
Focus Rookie

unable to delete this window ???

Last edited by dogma_not; 07-19-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: image not posting???
Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #798
dogma_not
Focus Rookie

not sure how to delete the extra window/posts??
Does anyone know how to? I don't see any delete options.

Last edited by dogma_not; 07-19-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: image not displaying
Old 07-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #799
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma_not View Post
not sure how to delete the extra window/posts??
Does anyone know how to? I don't see any delete options.
Administrator.

On a side note, that is very frustrating to hear for you.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #800
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Is this the noise owners are hearing

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Video is in Russian, but if you watch you will see the person pulling on suspension wilth a definite clunking noise result.

My feeling is Ford has an issue and knows it, but has not engineered a new piece that is clunk free.

It also seems this issue is only been found in North America and Russia, as far as my researching other global Focus forums.

Bookmarks & Social Networks